Analysis Rank 'em 2017 Trade Period synopsis

Remove this Banner Ad

If you come near on last and you fail to make any moves to make your team better then yeah it's a definite failure.

What if finishing last next year is the best option?

Last edited:
Its not just North doing nothing. Its North doing nothing while teams above them overtook them in regards to draft position. How are you going to get better than teams with more talent already who gain more access to talent than you?

What should we have done?

And how did North "snooze"? No club had a bigger crack than them by the sounds of it.

Reckon the saints list is a bit bland .
Really could have traded up in the draft for some star power like Rayner who is not unlike dare i say , Petracca .
North also could have tried to trade up , just can't sit still with one pick in the top 20 when entering a rebuild .

Taking off my Carlton hat for a second. I'd still consider them top four this trade period easily. They were perfectly aware of what they needed and got the best possible outcome, rather than throw themselves at any free agent or trade target to take short cuts to a possible premiership window.

This strong draft/weak draft crap is pointless. What was it I was hearing about the 2015 draft. The weakest in 20 years. Look at how many potential stars of the game came from that draft.

Lobbe is not terrible (though he is not fantastic either). It's just you acting like any supporter when it comes to their team's players seeking opportunity elsewhere. So what if the blues pay his salary. They got him for bugger all anyway. And they have to make use of the money in our overall cap since many players are getting paid relatively less along with the cutting of others that were on inflated contracts (E.g Liam Jones, Dale Thomas, Kristian Jaksch). Lobbe also fills the need of an extra ruckman. I see him better than Phillips at the moment (though that may change at anytime)

Won Gibbs deal for more than age. The club is investing on the future, seeking young players with the potential to take the team to success. Basically traded an ageing veteran that won't be in Carlton's next premiership tilt for Pick 10, 30 and Kennedy. That is damn impressive.

Finish bottom two next year, then another pick and more young kids. But most likely thing is Carlton won't finish bottom two because of their important players (E.g. Cripps, Ed Curnow, Marchbank) returning from injury and the fact they'll be implementing more offensive strategies to their game.

And you can't guarantee next years pick 19/20 will be better than this years 16. No one can.

Besides we traded pick 16 for Kennedy anyhow.
So its really just #3 and 10 in the first round anyhow

If a club doesn't trade then it's only applicable rating is N/A (not applicable)

Question: If North had traded exactly as Melbourne, Geelong or Port, would you deem that we had a good trade period?
Don't believe North should have been heavy traders, but surely it was time to cash in picks for Goldy with Preust to come through with the rebuild.

Don't believe North should have been heavy traders, but surely it was time to cash in picks for Goldy with Preust to come through with the rebuild.

I think any scenario would have fallen down due to his contract.

- He would not move interstate.
- If a club expects us to pay half or most of his contract, then they would have to part with a 1st round pick, or it is not worthwhile.
- Paying a million dollars for pick 20-25 is more absurd than holding him in the hope he turns it around.

The pins just couldn't line up.

We took out insurance and extended Preuss's contract by another two years, so he won't be going anywhere.

Tigers managed to turn 2 picks in that 15-30 range into 3. So should get Naish unless a crazy bid happens. Plus one extra decent kid before this draft turns to mush after 30ish.

So fairly solid. Not spectacular, but good work to keep building the list.

Thinking saints won't be overly pleased going into the draft with 7&8. Sure they're good picks but they've been aiming to add a gun to the list and having these picks put them in a good position.

Surely in a weak draft someone would have taken him for a twenties pick if North was paying the salary. Sure, it feels like North is burned, and its a weak draft, but you're still giving yourself a shot and Goldstein won't be around for the next tilt.

Its not just North doing nothing. Its North doing nothing while teams above them overtook them in regards to draft position. How are you going to get better than teams with more talent already who gain more access to talent than you?
They won't. Short of Ben brown putting teams to the Sword with big goal hauls, id have them bottom 3 easily.
Blues will be better for one thing
Brisbane may just get themselves out of the bottom 2 this year as well.
Gold Coast could be anything. They have a good list but lack resilience and any semblance of a game plan that doesn't involve get ball and run.

Roos are clearly saving cash to go after some big targets and looking to blood a lot of kids.
The games at tassie will help them catch some teams out. But if it's a nice day down in Hobart, I wouldn't count on that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What should we have done?

And how did North "snooze"? No club had a bigger crack than them by the sounds of it.
I'm surprised the saints didn't have a good go at smith. Would have been ideal, esp for his price
The year was a bit of a disappointment not making finals.
And the fight for top 8 is only gonna get harder.
West coast should open up a spot but Melbourne have strengthened and the dogs could sort themselves out.

I'm surprised the saints didn't have a good go at smith. Would have been ideal, esp for his price
West coast should open up a spot but Melbourne have strengthened and the dogs could sort themselves out.
Yes, you would have thought they were well placed to strengthen their midfield, with 2 top 10 picks & plenty of cap space with 3 key retirements.

Yes, you would have thought they were well placed to strengthen their midfield, with 2 top 10 picks & plenty of cap space with 3 key retirements.
They are a good team, but certainly didn't make the moves to be a top 8 team for next year.
Just a bad year to be chasing out of contracts stars. Cba has given teams a good leg up to retain the elite players

It may be tight at the top but its lonely at the bottom.

North have not improved their on field for next year at all and have allowed 5 teams above them (STK, Freo, Eagles, Tiges, Bulldogs) to have a better draft position. All while still having 4 30 year olds on their list.

Disaster.
3 × 30 year olds (1 is defensive cover while our young key backs develop. 1 is forward cover for our young key forwards to develop. 1 is a mix that will spend most of next year in the VFL).

Freo lost one of their most promising youth players. Dogs lost their best forward for next to nothing and are reliant on 2 KPF's that have shown next to nothing as forwards in the AFL. What exactly have west coast, saints and tigs done?

3 × 30 year olds (1 is defensive cover while our young key backs develop. 1 is forward cover for our young key forwards to develop. 1 is a mix that will spend most of next year in the VFL).

Freo lost one of their most promising youth players. Dogs lost their best forward for next to nothing and are reliant on 2 KPF's that have shown next to nothing as forwards in the AFL. What exactly have west coast, saints and tigs done?

Off the top of my head

Freo got in pick 2 and a very promising player.

Dogs got in a former pick two who is 20, and now have 2 picks in the top 20.

Eagles took a risk and now have 5 picks in the top 40, and also gave away a pick they probably wouldnt have even used for a young player with promise who may fill a need. Eagles have also taken 6 older players off their list.

Tiges managed to get 3 picks in the top 25.

Saints did nothing, but already had a stronger draft position than North.

Off the top of my head

Freo got in pick 2 and a very promising player.

Dogs got in a former pick two who is 20, and now have 2 picks in the top 20.

Eagles took a risk and now have 5 picks in the top 40, and also gave away a pick they probably wouldnt have even used for a young player with promise who may fill a need. Eagles have also taken 6 older players off their list.

Tiges managed to get 3 picks in the top 25.

Saints did nothing, but already had a stronger draft position than North.
I'll deal with you after lunch.

I believe we did have a go at Smith, but it looks like it was a bit of a late charge, perhaps after it was clear WCE wouldn't trade us Gaff, after we previously went hard at Kelly.

It was disappointing us not making finals this year, but I reckon if going into the year I'd have told you that:

-Riewoldt would injure his knee in R1 and go from 19 Brownlow votes last year, to hobbling around for most of this year and not come top 15 in our B&F
-Armitage would only play 2 games
-Dempster 0
-Steven would struggle for pretty much the whole year (with firstly a punctured lung and then fitness/injury/form)
-Montagna would miss several games and not come top 10 in the B&F
-A few others 25yo+ from the top 10 of our B&F last year would also have much worse years, and
-Paddy would only play 7 games,

you probably wouldn't have thought we'd manage 11 wins, from a tough draw and to improve in a number of areas on last year.

So the fact we did says that it ended up being a pretty decent year from a transition POV, from the older ones being the most instrumental in our wins, to the 26yo and below group having by far the most influence.

Will indeed be tough to make finals next year as well, especially as we look like having one of the two least experienced lists, but I think it's most important that we consolidate with this young group and then go really hard at next year's "big fish", to hopefully help us really push up into serious contention from 2019 onwards.

Reckon the saints list is a bit bland .
Really could have traded up in the draft for some star power like Rayner who is not unlike dare i say , Petracca .
North also could have tried to trade up , just can't sit still with one pick in the top 20 when entering a rebuild .
We apparently did try to trade up to a higher pick, but 7 and 8 is still a very decent place to be (especially with a couple like Fogarty and Bonar floating around, who we could take a swing at there, as high-risk, high-reward types with Petracca like ceilings and/or attributes), but I dare say those clubs with the higher picks weren't willing to part with them, unless we offered them something pretty excessive for them, which was not really necessary on our part, due to our picks already being in a very decent spot.

You can twist it any way you want for Carlton but the reality is that they still lost a top three player on the list. Their midfield looks seriously weak at the moment so I don't think their trade week is as pretty as some think. They did well in terms of pick swaps and getting Kennedy for cheap, but you can't exclude the fact that they just lost a terrific player like Gibbs.

If GWS or a lower-profile club than Collingwood had the trade period we had, I don't think anyone would care. We downgraded a mid-twenties pick this years to a pick around 50 next year for a solid young quick defender. Not ideal, but it's hardly disastrous. Not a single player left the club via trade and we're in a solid draft position. There are a few clubs who went worse than us.

Dockers the winners, Hawthorn or North the losers at this rate for me.
yeah you were s**t ...we were awesome..i don't think you repeating over and over that we traded an ageing midfielder helps your case of sour Grapes

Aside from the fact he wanted to go back to SA I think trading out Gibbs wasn’t a good think for Carlton. Sure - you got pick 10 for him but you had to trade out a pick to bring in Kennedy who is a younger, less proven midfield option. Just don’t think it’s the huge gain that many are making out.
So you think Gibbs would have still been around when Carlton are challenging for top 4 again ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back