Rank in order the teams chances of winning the premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond - obvious near-certainties unless they collectively get hit by a bus :padlock:
West Coast - I'm not convinced but the double-chance and home finals means they're in there with a good shot:footy::footy::footy::footy:
Geelong - really depends on if my mob turns up to play, on days when they do anything can happen:footy::footy::footy:
Collingwood - they've finally gotten it right, but it's more likely to come in the next couple of seasons :footy::footy:
Hawthorn - count them out at your peril, but the Tigers first up is a big ask:footy::footy:
GWS - not really sure about the Giants either, can see them doing some damage but it's not their year:footy::footy:
Melbourne - not discounting them, could go a long way if they can get past... Geelong :think::footy:
Sydney - someone has to be bottom of this pile and I think injuries will get the best of them when it counts :thumbsdown:

Last edited:

I'll just rate the midfields. Will probably be the difference. Sorry if I stuffed it up, my guess at teams' best ruck plus top 5.

1. Collingwood. Grundy, Treloar, Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Adams, De Goey
2. Melbourne. Gawn, Oliver, Jones, Viney, Brayshaw, Harmes
3. GWS. Lobb, Ward, Kelly, Shiel, Coniglio, Griffen
4. Sydney. Sinclair, Kennedy, Parker, Jack, Hannebery, Florent
5. Geelong. Stanley, Dangerfield, Selwood, Ablett, Kelly, Menegola
6. Richmond. Nankervis, Martin, Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards, Grigg
7. Hawthorn. McEvoy, Mitchell, O'Meara, Smith, Shiels, Burgoyne
8. Eagles. Lycett, Yeo, Shuey, Redden, Hutchings, Sheed

So in order from best chance to worst chance of winning the premiership. Here's mine:

1. Richmond
2. Hawthorn
3. Collingwood
4. Geelong
5. Melbourne
6. West Coast
7. Sydney
8. GWS

Purely opinion based so try to keep it mature and not have a go.

Richmond clearly the team to beat in my opinion, deserved favourites. Hawks you can never rule out with Clarko at the helm, master coach. I think Collingwood could have a chance if we get Howe, Treloar,Moore and Goldsack back which at the moment is looking likely.

Geelong i still think can give it a good shake, i have them beating Melbourne, i think they have an elite midfield and very good defence, they are good, but a little behind a few at the minute. Melbourne will push Geelong but just fall short, will have a good crack next year i reckon.

West coast i dont think can win it, no Gaff and nic nat, whilst they are a good chance to beat my boys, even IF they make it to the granny, i can not see them getting close to Richmond at the G.

Sydney i think will beat GWS, but cant see them progressing further than that. GWS way to many injuries to key players.

Ambitious, but I like your optimism.

Richmond - obvious
Eagles - should make the GF
Geelong - experience and star factor
GWS - could explode with their ins
Hawks - similar to geelong but think they could go out in straight sets
Melbourne - scoring power
Pies - only beaten 1 top 8 side
Swans - don’t think the rope a dope gameplan will work against experienced sides
Cheers, saved me a bit of work!
I agree 100%.

1. Richmond
2. Collingwood
3. West Coast
4. Geelong
5. Melbourne
6. Sydney
7. Hawthorn
8. GWS

Surprised people have Richmond-Hawthorn 1-2 given the loser of their match will be playing in Perth if we win our QF.

1. Richmond - will go 3 for 3 again so 2nd-7th is academic
2. West Coast - should make the GF with 2 home finals
3. Collingwood - should win over GWS or Sydney
4. Hawthorn - have the harder side of the semis if they lose first up
5. Melbourne - most likely to challenge the top 4
6. Geelong - second most likely to challenge the top 4 but will probably lose in week 1
7. Sydney - not at their best, basically need 4 x Buddy's games vs Collingwood/GWS to win it
8. GWS - left their run too late, need to get 5 or 6 players in and playing well instantly

The QF results are huge, though. Hawthorn upset Richmond and they move right up. Haw/Coll is pretty even, Haw/WC would be Haw favour based on our dismal record against them at the MCG. Likewise if Collingwood beat us they get a home prelim and probably avoid Richmond until the GF which is everyone's best chance. If we drop our home QF I doubt we'll be good enough to beat the Tigers in away prelim.

The semis will be interesting also. Not much between the sides in the 8 so any of the top 4 except Richmond going out in straight sets wouldn't be the biggest shock. If we win first up we'll either get Richmond, Hawthorn, Melbourne or Geelong. Very hard to rank those teams in terms of who I would prefer WC play. If we lose first up then I'd obviously prefer someone else take care of Richmond before we get there.

When was the last time Geelong won a game coming off a bye? For that very reason, I think they'll get rolled by Melbourne next weekend and hence have a very low chance of winning the flag.

If they do manage to break their bye hoodoo, they have the midfield talent to at least get to a PF, though they'd have to possibly get past Hawthorn to do so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When was the last time Geelong won a game coming off a bye? For that very reason, I think they'll get rolled by Melbourne next weekend and hence have a very low chance of winning the flag.

If they do manage to break their bye hoodoo, they have the midfield talent to at least get to a PF, though they'd have to possibly get past Hawthorn to do so.
Melb hasn’t been too flash off the bye too champ

Richmond - best team in it. I am not overly worried about their somewhat patchy, albeit, still winning form. They have had the top spot sown up for weeks and have been coasting since. Though, they will need (and I expect them to) hit another gear come finals.

West Coast - I am not bullish on West Coast being able to actually win on Grand final day but they will take some beating at home. They have put themselves in a good position to make the GF and from there anything can happen. I just think they are a few stars short (due to injuries/suspensions) to get the job done on the MCG.

Hawks - complete pack of crabs, but have to begrudgingly respect what they have been able to achieve. Clarkson and the recruiting department must be giving plaudits for the ability to regenerate so quickly. Top 4 gives them a good platform to have a crack and they have enough premiership stars left on the list to add to the flag list. Though, they could really do with a Rioli roaming around the MCG...

Melbourne/Geelong - I'm also a believer that the winner of this game could do some serious damage. Both are in form (although Geelong's could turn out to be a façade) and both have more than enough talent to take it up to all of the other teams. If Melbourne can keep their composure and get a win over us, they will be well and truly in the hunt for a GF berth. Geelong have been competitive in every game this year, but our finals form over the past few years has been mediocre to terrible, so it will be interesting to see how we go.

Pies - Done a great job to finish top 4 and pretty much beat all the teams that they should beat (which is no mean feat). I just feel that, when push comes to shove, the list they currently have available isn't quite good enough to match it with some of the other teams this year.

Sydney/GWS - both seem to be limping to the line and that isn't where you want to be at this stage of the season. Can never write Sydney off and GWS have the talent but I just don't think they are in a position to challenge this year. However, the bye may give them the rest needed to turn it all around.
I don't think we'll win it but I don't think beating 3 out of 4 fellow finalists in the last month and narrowly losing to the last missing your best two players is limping to the line.

1. Melbourne - I started a thread them but it was deleted for some reason. Most talented team in it and they’ve hit form at the right time. To win a flag you need to kick goals and they have the firepower to do it plus a tough contested midfield being fed by the best ruckman in the game. Their defence is shaky but has looked more resilient with Hibberd back in recent weeks.

2. Collingwood - injuries was an excuse a few weeks ago when they were missing good players, but now they’re all returning with de Goey back and Howe and Treloar coming back. They’re a team that doesn’t rely on personnel, more so on a system, so when they lose players their losses aren’t felt as much as say a GWS.

3. Richmond - stumbled to the finish line and have a few niggles here and there (Cotchin, Prestia, Astbury) plus Lambert and Butler are looking pretty touch and go. 90% of the team is down on form from last year so would be surprised if they suddenly found another gear come finals. Can see us losing in the Prelim.

4. West Coast - massive home ground advantage that will most likely take them deep but I don’t think they have the midfield to overcome Melbourne, Richmond and Collingwood.

5. GWS - probably only fifth because of their talent and I don’t rate the other teams. A bunch of pea hearts that won’t do any damage.

6. Hawthorn - the Clarkson factor is a big one, but not big enough. Don’t rate them that highly.

7. Sydney - they have had some good results lately but I’m not buying it. Have had a few jammy wins where they’ve lucked their way through.

8. Geelong - poorly coached. Making up numbers.

1. Richmond. Obvious. Only questions n mark is whether they can go up a gear after being on meh form
2. Wce. Should be there winning home finals but don't rate them against an MCG tenant in the grand final

Hawthorn, Geelong, Pies, Dees and Swans are pretty similar chance. Funnily enough, full tilt I rate Hawks and Pies below the others but they have made top 4 so who knows

8. Gws. Injuries have caught up to them and can't see them winning 4 away games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back