Prediction Rank our players heading in to the 2021 season

Remove this Banner Ad

CD don't publish the prospectus anymore, but a quick bit of googling suggests 10 midfielders were rated elite this year, which mean an overall group of 100. 'Average' in the CD system means 35-50% IIRC. Once you start ranking midfielders from across the comp I don't think it's outrageous to say he falls somewhere between 36 and 50.

It might not quite meet the definition of 'outrageous'. But it's still a fair stretch, in my opinion. For example, last year's AA squad of 40 had 16 players who you could possibly classify as 'mids'. And I believe most judges (including those associated with the accompanying article) had Mitch right around the mark as well.

Mitch Duncan (Geelong)

Like Lyons, it’s a hard job to get a gig in the All-Australian team. Duncan, though, must have been just outside the 40-man squad. A genuine wingman, Duncan was among the league's top 20 players for uncontested possessions, score involvements, running bounces and marks. Most importantly, he constantly hit the scoreboard, booting 12 goals from his first 13 games. Perhaps a slight dip in form across the final three home and away games cost him.

At the outside, then, I suppose you might be able to objectively contend that he was 'only' in the top 25 mids last season. Which would still clearly place him in the 'above average' category, at least.

Where he would then be keeping company with the man who probably has the most reality-defying rating of almost any player I can think of across the comp....the supposedly 'above average' Darcy Fort.

Cameron is a two time all Australian, norm smith winner and 9 times leading club goal kicker. Blicavs is 0 All Australians. Blicavs is also older then Cameron. it’s not harsh on Blicavs at all. Its harsh on Cameron.

unless you are handing out Norm Smiths to people you want to have them, id suggest this is not so much accurate, correct.... oh hell its just plain wrong.

GO CAtters

This is obviously subjective but i'm interested to see how people rate players current ability heading into round 1. Consideration for improvement this year made in comments, but not future years. For me:

Elite - Top 5 for their role
1. Hawkins - IMO he was the most valuable player in the AFL last year
2. Dangerfield - Still an elite mid but has slowed a little
3. Stewart - One of the best medium back men in the league
4. Duncan - One of the best users of the ball and wingers in the game
5. Blicavs - Elite as both a key defender and ruck that plays a kick behind play

Very Good - Top 10 for their role
6. Cameron - Has been elite in the past, was slightly off that last year
7. Guthrie - Was elite last year, but hasn't done so consistently
8. Menegola - Hugely underrated by Cats fans

Good - Would edge into most sides top 10 players
9. Smith - Has consistently been very good during his career, faded slightly from that level
10. Higgins - Has at times been very good but now a solid good player
11. Selwood - Was elite for 10 years, but has declined with a few injuries and age
12. Parfitt - Has developed into a good young player, still ascending

Above Average - Would regularly start for any team
13. O'Connor - Good solid defender
14. Henderson - Since being a Cat IMO he's consistently been above average as a KPD
15. Miers- He's developed into above average small forward

Average - Would regularly start
16. Bews - Just a consistent lockdown player
17. Rohan - Low possession but lots of pressure
18. Henry - Super solid, athletic defender with limited impact carrying the ball
19. Kolodjashnij - See Henry
20. Touhy - Has previously been above average but seemed to have dropped a little
21. Stanley - I think he's the definition of average for starting AFL ruckmen. Probably 9th best out of 18 teams
22. Dahlhaus - Scrappy hard worker but not clean enough to be rated higher

Below Average - Would get some games but not regular best 22
23. Clarke - I think he can jump several rungs into above average this season
24. Atkins - I have a gut feeling he'll be our most improved player this year. Jump to above average
25. Ratugolea - Hard to see how he gets games short-term but I'm still think he can contribute if called upon
26. Simpson - Arguably higher off the back half of last season but will have to fight for opportunity.
27. Zuthrie - I could see him playing regularly in the future but like Simpson will need opportunity.
28. Evans - Showed a but in pre-season but might not see much time this season given list strength
29. Close - Saw games last season but was a little lucky and IMO the list is now stronger
30. Fort - Has progressed in his time as a Cat and will be good cover for Stanley when healthy

I'm sure I missed someone. How would you rank them?

Great post. IMO Dollhouse and Bews are both above average, especially Bews who was our best small defender for a few years while he has added run and carry last year. I really think Bews is underappreciated. His talent is kinda average, but he gets 150% out of himself every game and just keeps slowly improving.

Great post. IMO Dollhouse and Bews are both above average, especially Bews who was our best small defender for a few years while he has added run and carry last year. I really think Bews is underappreciated. His talent is kinda average, but he gets 150% out of himself every game and just keeps slowly improving.
you get its stats analysis right? Don’t think a non conscious algorithm can underappreciate anyone.

i do like bews though.

dalhaus Was above average for his first season with us. He ain’t anymore. I don’t think he is best 22 anymore. Was frankly terrible last finals series.

you get its stats analysis right? Don’t think a non conscious algorithm can underappreciate anyone.

i do like bews though.

dalhaus Was above average for his first season with us. He ain’t anymore. I don’t think he is best 22 anymore. Was frankly terrible last finals series.
Underappreciated by the supporter base. Dahl was down last year, mostly because he only appeared able to kick it about 10 meters. Agree that based on 2020 below average, but im looking at balance of work over the last few seasons, not last season in isolation. (otherwise Cuthrie would be ranked elite)

Underappreciated by the supporter base. Dahl was down last year, mostly because he only appeared able to kick it about 10 meters. Agree that based on 2020 below average, but im looking at balance of work over the last few seasons, not last season in isolation. (otherwise Cuthrie would be ranked elite)

I had Bews on the fringe of being above average but don’t have Dahlhaus near that level.

Great thread.
1. Danger
2. Hawkins
3. Blicavs
4. Stewart
5. CGuthrie
6. Cameron
7. Duncan
8. Menegola
9. Stanley
10. Parfitt
Based on most important to us come finals and able to perform in big games in home and away.
Cameron gets top 10 on reputation, clearly not recent form.
Smith and Higgins would be high up in the next group.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back