Prediction Rank our young blokes

Remove this Banner Ad

Darcy - scary to think what he can do with a few more years under his belt
Blakely - gets better and better by the game. Plays a variety of postitions.
Ryan - an elite reader of the play and exquisite kick of the footy.
McCarthy - could become a handy high CHF. Time will tell.
Weller - not afraid to take the game. Cleaner disposal will see him move into the elite category.
Cox - amazing contested mark. Horrid kick.
Logue - looks like he can't keep up with the pace of AFL but shows minor glimpses.
Tucker - might be a bit harsh but seems to be your stock standard role player.
Langdon - will be a good representative for Freo in the grand final sprint.

F&$@ Balic

A nod to my Madden daze

Speed/Strength/Marking/Kicking/Game/Tank/Mongrel Overall
1 LW SD. BC. LR. SD. EL. SD. Blakely
2. EL. BC. LR. DT. BC. CB. CB. Balic
3. DT. GL. GL. HB. CB. DT. BC. Ryan
4. HB. CB. CM. CM. HB. LW. HB. Darcy
5. GL. CM. LD. CB. LR. HB. LR. Cox
6. CM. HB. HB. LW. EL. LR. GL. Tucker
7. CB. LR. DT. GL. DT. GL. CM. Louge
8. LR. DT. CB. EL. LW. CM. EL. McCarthy
9. BC. LW. LW. SD. CM. BC. LW. Weller
10 LD. EL. EL. BC. GL. LD. DT. Langdon

Whatever the hell all that is supposed to prove

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Not entirely easy but...

A grade
Blakely - for his versatility
A-
Darcy - his longevity in an important position will count for a lot. Early signs allow the generous rating

B grade
Hughes - does some under-rated things. If he finds consistency with the everyday things he'll be a solid B+ player
Ryan - foot skills are essential for his position. Not overly quick but evasive enough to hold a B grade rating IMO
weller - more ball and stints in the middle could see him move to a B+
McCarthy - has the tools, polished finisher, more score involvements will see him solidify the B rating

B-
Logue- speculative selection here. Based as much on hope as evidence. Have a sneaky feeling he'll end up an intercept defender (not entirely confident his 1on1 will stack up)

C grade
Tucker - could move up a grade if he can continue to build his possession count. His opportunity to do so has been limited, which is circumstantial to date

Langdon - I'm not overly enamoured with him as a package. Keeps his feet, well balanced, gut runner but I question his decision making and execution at times. He's young and could def improve to move up a grade

Cox - potential to be the biggest mover upwards in my ratings. Love his work so far, but he's tall and I'm finding him tough to judge purely based on his current CV. I'm marking him harshly for reasons I can't explain !

I am only going to comment on the blokes that have debuted this year... No point going on about McCarthy, Kersten, Brad Hill, weller, Langdon and grey.

Griffin Logue: could be anything. He is 190cm and 90kg. He could be a mundy or Fyfe mid that dominates the middle. Can play down back as a 3rd tall. Can play up forward as a tall forward too. I can see him play over 250 games for us. If there is one bloke that on this that can play until he is 33 or 34 years old, then Griffin is the likely candidate mainly because he can play in many spots on the ground.

Sean Darcy: Seems like a good promising ruckman. Again, could be anything. My biggest fear is the vic teams chase after him as a free agent or out of contract. I predict he will play between 200-250 games. Whether all his games will be at freo is another story. he will be given time to develop and right fully so. If he plays another 10-15 games next year and year after then so be it. Once he gets another 20-30 games under the belt, he will be a good solid ruckman for the next 10 years. He can be anything. He could be as good as Sandiilands or He could end up like Zac Clarke who is talented but injury prone. He is better than Jono griffin.

Harley Balic: seems talented, but sadly will be traded back to Victoria.

Brennan cox: looks like a good KPP. I saw him play well in the SANFL. I said he can be a Harry Taylor type and I will stand by it. I see him as another 200 gamer too.

Josh Deluca: played 4 games and kicked 2 goals. 1 see him as a 150 gamer for us. I reckon he will do a ballantyne and start of as a 21 year old and finish his career as a 30 or 31 year old. I see him as a De Boer or Clancee type mid that is just a useful contributor.

Ryan Nyhuis: started off with a bang kicking 4 goals vs North. Happy for him to play up forward or down back. Again, could be another 150-200 gamer for us too

Luke Ryan: Already found a Spurr/Ibbo replacement as a half back flanker or back pocket. I see him play between 150-200 games. Possibly over 200 games if he plays all 22 games for 9 straight years.

Overall, the class of 2016 is good. Almost as good as the guys we picked up in that 2008 draft

A nod to my Madden daze

Speed/Strength/Marking/Kicking/Game/Tank/Mongrel Overall
1 LW SD. BC. LR. SD. EL. SD. Blakely
2. EL. BC. LR. DT. BC. CB. CB. Balic
3. DT. GL. GL. HB. CB. DT. BC. Ryan
4. HB. CB. CM. CM. HB. LW. HB. Darcy
5. GL. CM. LD. CB. LR. HB. LR. Cox
6. CM. HB. HB. LW. EL. LR. GL. Tucker
7. CB. LR. DT. GL. DT. GL. CM. Louge
8. LR. DT. CB. EL. LW. CM. EL. McCarthy
9. BC. LW. LW. SD. CM. BC. LW. Weller
10 LD. EL. EL. BC. GL. LD. DT. Langdon

Whatever the hell all that is supposed to prove

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Up. Up. Down. Down. Left. Right. Left. Right. B. A. Select. Start.

I feel like most are under rating logue, and probably overrating Ryan and Cox - not that I don't like what I saw from those 2, just that I'm not sure how high their ceiling is.

The other one not there strnadica .

I've been running the numbers and both Ryan and Weller compare extremely well to some of the top players in the AFL in their hbf positions. Given how young they both still are we should back them in to keep improving. They'll benefit a lot from a more stable backline next year as well (even if Weller shifts back to mid/fwd).

In fact I compared our whole backline to West Coast's (Yeo, McGovern, Barrass, McKenzie, Sheppard & Hurn) and found it surprising we weren't as far behind as I had assumed. We all know we need to reduce turnovers from D50 but given our backline averaged 12.7 clangers per game vs 11.2 for West Coast's it's perhaps not as bad a problem as we thought. I'd assume a fair few more of ours led to scores against but I thought generally we improved a lot in this area throughout the year.

People have left A.Pearce out but put Hughes and McCarthy in who are both older. I still still Pearce as top 2-3 tbh. Can't remember seeing a young KPP for freo I'm been so impressed with early. If A.Pearce and maybe even Apeness could be added into this group along with a few more kids and/or younger mature agers then this list looks pretty healthy.

FWIW I rate Blakely first. I think a lot of the KPPs we have in this group could be anything tbh. A.Pearce, Cox, Logue and McCarthy could all be elite or nothing. Darcy and Weller have good upside too but look safer bets at this point. Ryan and Hughes are reasonable right now but not sure they are ever going to be elite. Not sure Tucker or Langdon will ever be A Graders tbh. They are progressing nicely but they aren't exactly at the level Blakely and Weller are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been running the numbers and both Ryan and Weller compare extremely well to some of the top players in the AFL in their hbf positions. Given how young they both still are we should back them in to keep improving. They'll benefit a lot from a more stable backline next year as well (even if Weller shifts back to mid/fwd).

In fact I compared our whole backline to West Coast's (Yeo, McGovern, Barrass, McKenzie, Sheppard & Hurn) and found it surprising we weren't as far behind as I had assumed. We all know we need to reduce turnovers from D50 but given our backline averaged 12.7 clangers per game vs 11.2 for West Coast's it's perhaps not as bad a problem as we thought. I'd assume a fair few more of ours led to scores against but I thought generally we improved a lot in this area throughout the year.

I was feeling kind of underwhelmed by Weller's year, but when I looked at his stats I saw they were not bad. I like your stats, keep them coming.

Blakely
Ryan
Darcy
Weller
Cox
Logue
McCarthy
Tucker
Langdon

Extremely difficult, I rate all of our youngsters very highly so to put Langdon at the bottom isn't to say he won't be a good player at all, just a case of 'who else?'

Well, seeing as you brought him up. It's actually a reminder of how hard it can be to tell where these guys will end up. In the first couple of years we were talking about Suban as we're talking about someone like Langdon now.
Nah langdon nowhere near suban , langdon a third rd pick

Lot of people underrating Tucker imo. Has elite skills and pace, could be anything.
I want to see Tucker rotate off the back flank and midfield like he did for Peel last season. Looked so natural in the GF

My shot at this ... really is quite hard. Not sure how you call 'best player' because some are never going to be anything but very good role players, but will still play quality games and end up being life members for the club - that's a win really. I'll think of it as who is most likely to be lock 22's and closest to being considered 'A Graders'.

- Blakely - he's the stand out for mine, I've been sure he'd make it form around this time last year and has only gone better through this season. Hope that shoulder comes good though, that's an important thing right there.

Then it's a bunch I'd put together, but something like this order:

- Ryan
- Darcy
- Balic
- McCarthy - a lot depends on how we end up using him and particularly if we can get a genuine marking FF and/resting ruck that he can use as a foil.
- Logue
- Weller
- Langdon
- Tucker
- Cox

That's hard to do, so much based on guess work at this stage.

Weller not getting close to enough love. An argument could be made for him being the best of the lot. Send him back to HFF and he can be Headland circa purple patch good.

I've been a fan of Blakely since before he was drafted, he's a great player IMO, but I think he benefits from our circumstance as opposed to Weller.

On GT-I9506 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Weller not getting close to enough love. An argument could be made for him being the best of the lot. Send him back to HFF and he can be Headland circa purple patch good.

I've been a fan of Blakely since before he was drafted, he's a great player IMO, but I think he benefits from our circumstance as opposed to Weller.

On GT-I9506 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I reckon Weller has Blakely covered for every attribute bar 2 - marking and smarts. If you put Blakely's brain in Weller's body he would win a brownlow or two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back