Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2005
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Drummoyne Dirty Reds
I know this thread has been done before, but I did a search and all I found were ancient polls from 2003.

We've won another flag. Maybe it's time to re-evaluate who sits where in the pantheon.

1. Glenn Jakovich - I know most will pick Matera, but Jakovich just symbolises everything that was awesome and epoch-shattering about the early 90s Eagles. My favourite.

2. Peter Matera
3. Ben Cousins
4. Chris Judd
5. Guy McKenna
6. Dean Kemp

The top six kinda pick themselves - albeit in varying orders.

There are so many players competing for the last 4 spots, and it's only going to get harder.

7. John Worsfold - the most influential person in our history
8. Ashley McIntosh
9. Chris Lewis
10. Chris Mainwaring

I've gone with longevity.

The top 10 list is basically our 200-game club, with Judd replacing Banfield. It hurt to cut Banfield.

Three of our four leading goal-kickers, Peter Sumich, Phil Matera and Brett Heady miss out. They just didn't play enough games to dislodge guys who who clocked up 200+ games, although picking Mainwaring over Sumich in 10th spot was line-ball.

One thing that stands out is that, with a few exceptions, our guns of the early 90s burnt out pretty young. Those that staggered on faded fast after 200 games. Hopefully this pattern does not persist.

I'd like to make a couple of forecasts about this list:

1) I think that by the time they're both done, Cousins and Judd will be #1 and #2. Cousins is on track to break the games record early on in 2009, and should be the first Eagle to play 300 games. Cousins debuted in 1996. He's been a gun all the way through. Judd, at 23, is simply the best player we've ever had. Longevity will cement his legend.

2) In 5 years times, writing this kind of list is going to be an absolute nightmare. There's going to be a whole new batch of premiership players (hopefully triple) with 200+ games under their belts. How are you going to accommodate Embley, Kerr, Glass, Cox, Hunter and Wirrpanda when they've all played more games than Mainwaring, Worsfold and Lewis and all have at least one flag to their name?

Most importantly, how are you going to squeeze Quinten Lynch in when, in 2012, in his 250th game, he becomes the first Eagles player to kick 600 goals?

1. Ben Cousins
2. Peter Matera
3. Glenn Jakovich
4. Chris Judd
5. Guy McKenna
6. Dean Kemp
7. John Worsfold
8. Ashley McIntosh
9. Chris Lewis
10. Chris Mainwaring

If Judd plays out his career at the Eagles and ends up being mentioned in the same breath as Carey, Matthews, and Ablett, he'll assume number #1.

I expect over the next few years for Judd to grow into the captaincy role and be the outright leader. At that point people will really see him as a true Eagles man because at the moment he hasn't been around long enough like those I have ahead of him so far.

1. Ben Cousins
2. Peter Matera
3. Glenn Jakovich
4. Chris Judd
5. Guy McKenna
6. Dean Kemp
7. John Worsfold
8. Ashley McIntosh
9. Chris Lewis
10. Chris Mainwaring

If Judd plays out his career at the Eagles and ends up being mentioned in the same breath as Carey, Matthews, and Ablett, he'll assume number #1.

I expect over the next few years for Judd to grow into the captaincy role and be the outright leader. At that point people will really see him as a true Eagles man because at the moment he hasn't been around long enough like those I have ahead of him so far.
I can't imagine him being a true leader until cousins has left.

• Banned
1. Ben Cousins
Do you reckon Cousins has surpassed Jakovich and Matera?

I'm a huge fan of Cousins, and have defended him unreservedly through his off-field antics.

I was one of the few who argued that he should retain the captaincy following the booze bus incident.

That said, don't Jakovich and Matera - cornerstones in two flags - just have him covered at the moment?

Jakovich remains our games record holder and our greatest ever KPP.

Even at 33, Peter Matera was an automatic selection. We wouldn't have won in 1992 without him.

I'm completely receptive to any argument for Cousins as #1, but I just reckon he needs two more outstanding seasons - and hopefully another flag - to push past Jakovich and Matera.

Does it matter that Judd hasn't played that many games?

He's our best ever.

Longevity counts, but John Coleman has a medal named after him despite playing less than 100 games.

Sometimes, a player burns so bright that they don't need to last 10 years.

Even if Judd never played another game, I reckon he'd unanimously be regarded as the best player - maybe not the greatest - to ever play for West Coast.

What kept me from picking Sumich is the fact he only managed 150 games.

Was he really great? Or was he merely the beneficiary of being the go-to guy in a great team?

I think Suma was an awesome player - 500+ goals in 150 games and in the top 25(or whatever) goalkickers ever is nothing to be sneezed at.

Sure he had some bloody good players deliverng the ball to him but the guy still had to finish it off. If the big man could have kicked a little straighter in 91 he would have had one of the best seasons EVER - over 200 scoring shots at goal is massive!

Id have Suma in there for sure :thumbsu:

Do you reckon Cousins has surpassed Jakovich and Matera?

I'm a huge fan of Cousins, and have defended him unreservedly through his off-field antics.

I was one of the few who argued that he should retain the captaincy following the booze bus incident.

That said, don't Jakovich and Matera - cornerstones in two flags - just have him covered at the moment?

Jakovich remains our games record holder and our greatest ever KPP.

Even at 33, Peter Matera was an automatic selection. We wouldn't have won in 1992 without him.

I'm completely receptive to any argument for Cousins as #1, but I just reckon he needs two more outstanding seasons - and hopefully another flag - to push past Jakovich and Matera.

Does it matter that Judd hasn't played that many games?

He's our best ever.

Longevity counts, but John Coleman has a medal named after him despite playing less than 100 games.

Sometimes, a player burns so bright that they don't need to last 10 years.

True about Cousins but Jakovich and Matera played every season of finals in the 90's and neither of them really saw the dark days of the Judge (I know they were around but nearing the end)

Cuzz has emerged as a spiritual leader and his efforts pre, during and post the dark ages of Judge have been absolutely inspirational.

Im not having a go at Jako and Roo coz trying to pick the top 10 is like trying to pick the All Australian team - Its just opinion.

But I say Cousins....... No.1

I think Suma was an awesome player - 500+ goals in 150 games and in the top 25(or whatever) goalkickers ever is nothing to be sneezed at.
I'm not convinced.

Was he a better FF than Scott Cummings?

Sure he had some bloody good players deliverng the ball to him but the guy still had to finish it off.

If the big man could have kicked a little straighter in 91 he would have had one of the best seasons EVER - over 200 scoring shots at goal is massive!
Doesn't that detract from your argument for Suma's inclusion?

Plenty of opportunities, but ordinary finishing.

True about Cousins but Jakovich and Matera played every season of finals in the 90's and neither of them really saw the dark days of the Judge (I know they were around but nearing the end)

But I say Cousins....... No.1
I'm not convinced.

I'm not convinced.

Was he a better FF than Scott Cummings?

Doesn't that detract from your argument for Suma's inclusion?
Plenty of opportunities, but ordinary finishing.

1. Yes, IMO Sumich was better than Cummings.

2. Yes and No but Suma had something about him - like a lot of the full forwards of the early 90's - he was a drawcard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saverio Rocca > Sumich.

He was pretty good, not far outside top 10, but definely wouldn't have him top 10. Would have Kerr in front of him already.

chris judd best player in the league something no one else for the eagles has ever been. Captained premiership Brownlow Medal and Norm Smith Medal and still very young already the greatest eagle i would say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back