Autopsy Rank the 11 by 11 points or less (Poll Added!)

Favourite 11 points or less win?

• Essendon - Rd 6 (Anzac Day) - "5 Ginn and Soda's"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hawthorn - Rd 12 "High scoring final 10 minutes"

• GWS - Rd 15 "The Travis Cloke Tribute Game"

• Gold Coast - Rd 16 "Sliding doors - Season 2022"

• North Melbourne - Rd 17 "Almost Got A Smack On The Bum With A Wooden Spoon"

• Adelaide - Rd 18 - "Right Infront of Me: 5 Points like 2009"

• Port Adelaide - Rd 20 "Port Adelaide Claim They Would Of Won If They Wore The Prison Bars"

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Didak_attack

All Australian
Sep 27, 2005
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Perfect way to reflect on the most entertaining H&A season by any team in the history of the VFL/AFL.

Be interesting to see what order everyone ranks the 11 nail-biting wins.

11. GWS Rd 15 - 11.22 v 12.5 was painful. Absolutely hated this game. This just felt like absolute relief as we would of been kicking ourselves if we lost this one.

10. Port Rd 20 - Of all these games this was a bit of a non event for a 1 goal margain. We seemed to have the game in control throughout the last, a late goal to port gave us a bit of a scare but they didn't end up posing a threat of levelling in the concluding minute or so.

9. Adelaide Rd 18 - Thought we had the W next to this game locked in when we got out by 16 points late. Within 2 minutes it was back to 5 and had to anxiously sit through another 7 minutes hoping we didn't choke.

8. North Rd 17 - if you told me that we would only beat them by 7 points pre-game I would of been livid (especially after losing to WCE earlier in the season) But I don't care who you beat turning a 26 point 3qtr time deficit into a 7 point win is a huge result. Another game that no doubt have us belief that we can overcome a deficit in the last qtr.

7. Hawthorn Rd 12 - Was a strange last qtr, where we found ourselves behind, only one goal in the last ~20 minutes of game time.

6. Carlton Rd 11 - A 4 point win vs. Carlton is always sweet, but nearly coughing up a 4 goal lead in the last and a completely rediculous chopping the arms free not paid inside our 50 late (to Cameron I think?) The blues cleared the ball as a result and Curnow drilled a belter from 50. That free would of most likely iced the game.

5. Essendon Anzac Day - Ginn kicking 5 and an incredible 15.3 kicked for the day by the pies was the perfect way to rub salt into the wounds of one of our biggest rivals in the biggest H&A fixture of the year

4. Gold Coast Rd 16 - This was our sliding doors game. Around Rd 15/16 Gold Coast were actually better odds than us to make the 8. 2 early last qtr goals to Rankine had us looking shaky.

This win typifies how we have dug in this season and really setup our assault on not only the 8 but in the end the top 4. Ended up a massive 6 games clear of the Gold Coast, good chance this result broke them.

Had we dropped this one it could of been a completely different story for us this season.

3. Melbourne Rd 21 - Was incredible to dig so deep to pull back the margain and hold off the reigning premiers. We somehow had them absolutely knackered but their midfield class kept them in the game with some quick centre clearance goals. Easily could of been the type of game that a class team like Melbourne could of escaped from with a win.

2. Essendon Rd 19 - Who would of thought we won because of a chain of events that started from Howe slipping over 35m out from essendons goal result in a free to the bombers.

Probably would of dropped to number 3 but that final play and the Elliot kick was one of the most beautiful things I've ever watched our boys do.

1. Rd 23 v Carlton - The fact the Essendon win got bumped to second on my rankings absolutely blows my mind. The significance of this win was absolutely phenomenal

Perfect way to reflect on the most entertaining H&A season by any team in the history of the VFL/AFL.

11. GWS Rd 15 - 11.22 v 12.5 was painful. Absolutely hated this game. This just felt like absolute relief as we would of been kicking ourselves if we lost this one.

10. Port Rd 20 - Of all these games this was a bit of a non event for a 1 goal margain. We seemed to have the game in control throughout the last, a late goal to port gave us a bit of a scare but they didn't end up posing a threat of levelling in the concluding minute or so.

9. Adelaide Rd 18 - Thought we had the W next to this game locked in when we got out by 16 points late. Within 2 minutes it was back to 5 and had to anxiously sit through another 7 minutes hoping we didn't choke.

8. North Rd 17 - if you told me that we would only beat them by 7 points pre-game I would of been livid (especially after losing to WCE earlier in the season) But I don't care who you beat turning a 26 point 3qtr time deficit into a 7 point win is a huge result. Another game that no doubt have us belief that we can overcome a deficit in the last qtr.

7. Hawthorn Rd 12 - Was a strange last qtr, where we found ourselves behind, only one goal in the last ~20 minutes of game time.

6. Carlton Rd 11 - A 4 point win vs. Carlton is always sweet, but nearly coughing up a 4 goal lead in the last and a completely rediculous chopping the arms free not paid inside our 50 late (to Cameron I think?) The blues cleared the ball as a result and Curnow drilled a belter from 50. That free would of most likely iced the game.

5. Essendon Anzac Day - Ginn kicking 5 and an incredible 15.3 kicked for the day by the pies was the perfect way to rub salt into the wounds of one of our biggest rivals in the biggest H&A fixture of the year

4. Gold Coast Rd 16 - This was our sliding doors game. Around Rd 15/16 Gold Coast were actually better odds than us to make the 8. 2 early last qtr goals to Rankine had us looking shaky.

This win typifies how we have dug in this season and really setup our assault on not only the 8 but in the end the top 4. Ended up a massive 6 games clear of the Gold Coast, good chance this result broke them.

Had we dropped this one it could of been a completely different story for us this season.

3. Melbourne Rd 21 - Was incredible to dig so deep to pull back the margain and hold off the reigning premiers. We somehow had them absolutely knackered but their midfield class kept them in the game with some quick centre clearance goals. Easily could of been the type of game that a class team like Melbourne could of escaped from with a win.

2. Essendon Rd 19 - Who would of thought we won because of a chain of events that started from Howe slipping over 35m out from essendons goal result in a free to the bombers.

Probably would of dropped to number 3 but that final play and the Elliot kick was one of the most beautiful things I've ever watched our boys do.

1. Rd 23 v Carlton - The fact the Essendon win got bumped to second on my rankings absolutely blows my mind. The significance of this win was absolutely phenomenal
Think you have nailed it.

Thread needs a poll.😋

I think you're basically right. I would love to have the Melbourne one higher because of how amazingly well we handled the last 5 minutes, but you can't replace the Essendon and Carlton games. The most amazing atmospheres I've ever encountered at any game.

Melbourne is the best performance, Carlton is the most important result, and Essendon is the greatest escape.

All of them would be in contention for our best win in the past decade, and we've been blessed with all three (plus more) in one glorious season.

Stop and smell the roses here, people. Enjoy every second. Wins as spectacular as these shouldn't be so plentiful!

Think you have nailed it.

Yeah agree, cant disagree with any of that !!! Well done

I think you're basically right. I would love to have the Melbourne one higher because of how amazingly well we handled the last 5 minutes, but you can't replace the Essendon and Carlton games. The most amazing atmospheres I've ever encountered at any game.

Yep, spot on, was our most professional of those big 3 games. The winning play and kick vs. Essendon being perfection gives enough bonus points to edge it ahead of Melbourne!

Melbourne is the best performance, Carlton is the most important result, and Essendon is the greatest escape.

All of them would be in contention for our best win in the past decade, and we've been blessed with all three (plus more) in one glorious season.

Stop and smell the roses here, people. Enjoy every second. Wins as spectacular as these shouldn't be so plentiful!
Perfect way to describe those 3, for a variety of reasons I can see people ranking those 3 games in any combination
Just list out each of the 39916800 combinations and let us choose. Put the ones with the Carlton and Essendon wins near the top to save scrolling time.
Not a bad way to kill time until Saturday week :p

The circumstances surrounding the round 23 give it a strong case to be number 1. But if looking at each game on its merit, it's hard to go past the kick after the siren.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that the Essendon game got topped within 4 weeks is insane. The fact that the second win against Melbourne is only third on the list is ridiculous.

What a season. Savour it because I don't think it can get better than this.

Even 1990, 2010 and 2011 can't come close to the week in / week out thrills of this season.

I know we favour what is fresh …

… but for me the Rnd 23 Carlton game has to the first given what was on the line.

Carlton kick 1 more point to draw it and they make finals for the first time since 2013 and their President doesn’t look like a buffoon. And it would have been a rematch against us in an elimination final. Two agonising weeks leading up to that? No thank you very much. Instead we break Carlton hearts and get ourselves the double chance. Don’t get anymore clutch than that.

Second would be the Essendon win after the siren.

Third for me would be the first Carlton game. Both clubs with new coaches who were mates and had played in Premierships together. But clubs tied on the head-to-head. Carlton was ahead on the ladder, who would win?

Fourth is ANZAC Day, not only did we win it, but Ginni shut up the detractors and got himself a rising star nomination.

Then the Melbourne games - beating the reigning premier.

Then the Adelaide game in Adelaide.

Probably North next for the sheer relief of not dropping that one!

Throw a blanket over the rest

Back