Opinion Rank the club captains

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Simple idea, rank the current club captains based on their on and off field leadership and skill at the game itself. I know there is a few issues surrounding who some clubs captains are (Bulldogs, Eagles) but just use the 2014 captains and base your list on their length as leader. For clubs with co-captains rank them as one player.

1. Hodge
2. Selwood
3. Boak
4. Ablett
5. Pavlich
6. Riewoldt
7. Pendlebury
8. Glass
9. Jack/McVeigh
10. Swallow
11. Ward/Davis
12. Adcock
13. Van Berlo
14. Jones/Grimes
15. Watson
16. Murphy
17. Griffen
18. Cotchin

Let me know if any of those are incorrect^ I based it off the top of my head so not sure if someone else took over or whatever.
Go.

speedybundy

All Australian
Jun 12, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
1. Hodge
2. Selwood
3. Ablett
4. Riewoldt
5. Boak
6. Pavlich
7. Pendlebury
8. Watson
9. Jack/McVeigh
10. Glass
11. Ward/Davis
12. Adcock
13. Jones/Grimes
14. Swallow
15. Murphy
16. Cotchin
17. Van Berlo
18. Griffin

1. Hodge
2. Selwood
3. Boak
4. Riewoldt
5. Pavlich
6. Watson
7. Ablett
8. Pendlebury
9. Ward/Davis
10. Swallow
11. Jack/McVeigh
12. Murphy
13. Jones/Grimes
14. Adcock
15. Cotchin
16. Van Berlo
17. West Coast don't have a captain
18. The ******* traitor

Decimate

Senior List
Jul 24, 2014
Tahiti
AFL Club
Geelong
Simple idea, rank the current club captains based on their on and off field leadership and skill at the game itself. I know there is a few issues surrounding who some clubs captains are (Bulldogs, Eagles) but just use the 2014 captains and base your list on their length as leader. For clubs with co-captains rank them as one player.

1. Hodge
2. Selwood
3. Boak
4. Ablett
5. Pavlich
6. Riewoldt
7. Pendlebury
8. Glass
9. Jack/McVeigh
10. Swallow
11. Ward/Davis
12. Adcock
13. Van Berlo
14. Jones/Grimes
15. Watson
16. Murphy
17. Griffen
18. Cotchin

Let me know if any of those are incorrect^ I based it off the top of my head so not sure if someone else took over or whatever.
Go.
Essentially I have the same list as you except I would swap Cotchin and Griffen followed with Cotchin and Van Berlo.

eaglesfan99

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
warriors

1. Hodge
2. Selwood
3. Boak
4. Ablett
5. Pavlich
6. Riewoldt
7. Pendlebury
8. Glass
9. Jack/McVeigh
10. Swallow
11. Ward/Davis
12. Adcock
13. Van Berlo
14. Jones/Grimes
15. Watson
16. Murphy
17. Griffen
18. Cotchin

Go.
Same except swap glass and pav.

V9x18

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2014
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Pistons, Browns, BCFC, Lions
1. Boak
2. Hodge
3. Selwood
4. Reiwoldt
5. Ablett
6. Glass
7. Pendlebury
8. Watson
9. Pavlich
10. Ward/ davis
11. Adcock
12. Murphy
13. Cotchin
14. Van Berlo
15. Swallow
16. Jones/Grimes
17. Jack/Mcveigh

daylight

18. Griffen

Gray matters

Debutant
Jun 20, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1. Boak
2. Hodge
3. Selwood
4. Reiwoldt
5. Ablett
6. Glass
7. Pendlebury
8. Watson
9. Pavlich
10. Ward/ davis
11. Adcock
12. Murphy
13. Cotchin
14. Van Berlo
15. Swallow
16. Jones/Grimes
17. Jack/Mcveigh

daylight

18. Griffen
Harsh rating your own teams captains as the 2nd worse, but you would have a more of an idea than me?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

V9x18

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2014
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Pistons, Browns, BCFC, Lions
Harsh rating your own teams captains as the 2nd worse, but you would have a more of an idea than me?

Second last was actually generous considering their insipid performance on grand final day. Jacks actually not a bad captain, speaks well and leads with his actions. Mcveigh's performance as captain in the GF should go down as one of the worst captains performance of all time. All he does is point at everyone and place blame at anyone but himself, he has none of the qualities of a captain. To be fair if this list was done after the prelim they would probably be a bit higher, but after they just let the hawks walk all over them and refused to stand up and lead in the most important day of the year i reckon at this point they belong second last, though i'm admittedly very biased.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Second last was actually generous considering their insipid performance on grand final day. Jacks actually not a bad captain, speaks well and leads with his actions. Mcveigh's performance as captain in the GF should go down as one of the worst captains performance of all time. All he does is point at everyone and place blame at anyone but himself, he has none of the qualities of a captain. To be fair if this list was done after the prelim they would probably be a bit higher, but after they just let the hawks walk all over them and refused to stand up and lead in the most important day of the year i reckon at this point they belong second last, though i'm admittedly very biased.

Jack tried hard and was one of Sydney's best that day - he can lead by example. However McVeigh was an abomination - missed tackles, pointed a lot and turned it over when he had the ball. Not too sure where his head was.

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba
So what's Cotchin done to see him ranked last (or bottom 3)? Is it because he kicked against the wind that one time?

Here's a list of captains that are worse:

Jack, McVeigh, Jones, Grimes, Ward, Davis. Can't handle the captaincy on your own boys?

Ryan Griffen. I don't think Dogs fans would even argue with this.

Jobe Watson. Undoubtably the worst captain in the league, possibly the worst captain ever. Showed absolutely no leadership when his players needed him most and ruined his club because of it.

Adcock, van Berlo and Swallow. What have these guys done to see them ranked ahead of Cotchin? Because it's certainly not their onfield exploits.

eaglesfan99

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
warriors
So what's Cotchin done to see him ranked last (or bottom 3)? Is it because he kicked against the wind that one time?

Jack, McVeigh, Jones, Grimes, Ward, Davis. Can't handle the captaincy on your own boys?

Jobe Watson. Undoubtably the worst captain in the league, possibly the worst captain ever. Showed absolutely no leadership when his players needed him most and ruined his club because of it.

Adcock, van Berlo and Swallow. What have these guys done to see them ranked ahead of Cotchin? Because it's certainly not their onfield exploits.
Its commonly recognized cotchin is a s**t captain.

Jones, Ward, and Jack could all easily handle the captaincy themselves. It's a club decision to go with co-captains, Sydney because it's the Sydney way, GWS because they're young, and Melbourne because it's Melbourne and they're ****ed up. Grimes and Davis are both not that great, and McVeigh is alright.

Watson definitely showed leadership. Can't blame him for anything that has happened. One of the better captains in the league.

Swallow has done a bit onfield but is also more of a team player and a team leader, he was also injured the first half of the year. Not the greatest year for him however. Not going to argue with Adcock/Van Berlo, much of a muchness.

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Its commonly recognized cotchin is a s**t captain.

I know but based on what? Kicking the wrong way? That one time he got tagged out of the game?

The perception that Cotchin is a bad captain comes mainly from his decline in form during the 2013 season. Apparently it was because he couldn't handle the captaincy and had nothing to do with his knee injury. The back to back finals series under his leadership seem to get ignored though.

The back to back finals series under his leadership seem to get ignored though.
Which one was more impressive:

The complete demolition job by Port, or the way you capitulated to a team that finished 9th?

eaglesfan99

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
warriors
I know but based on what? Kicking the wrong way? That one time he got tagged out of the game?

The perception that Cotchin is a bad captain comes mainly from his decline in form during the 2013 season. Apparently it was because he couldn't handle the captaincy and had nothing to do with his knee injury. The back to back finals series under his leadership seem to get ignored though.
Based on the fact he doesn't talk to his players during the game.

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Which one was more impressive:

The complete demolition job by Port, or the way you capitulated to a team that finished 9th?

So getting a team into the finals for the first time in 12 years is not worth mentioning? Richmond have clearly been a better side under his captaincy, managing 26 wins and 19 losses. That's 58% which is a massive improvement yet for some reason inferior players who take their team to 17th are better captains.

So getting a team into the finals for the first time in 12 years is not worth mentioning? Richmond have clearly been a better side under his captaincy, managing 26 wins and 19 losses. That's 58% which is a massive improvement yet for some reason inferior players who take their team to 17th are better captains.
So by that logic, Pavlich was a bad captain in 2009 since Freo finished last? Riewoldt is a bad captain because his team finished last? Maxwell is a better captain because he won a premiership as captain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back