11. Walker
12. Hurn
13. Cotchin
14. Ward
15. McVeigh
16. Rockliff
17. M. Murphy
18. Swallow

Hodge and Riewoldt are both the clear top two and it is very hard to split them. However, Riewoldt played on and subsequently missed a goal from 2 meters out in a Grand final and for that will always be second best to Hodge.

The Blue Baggers

Premiership Player
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
marc murphy has really stood up for the blues this year

given the blues position he is an easy target but he has been our best by a mile this year

Spitter9

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool
Moreso curious to get an outsid supporters perspective on this, but where would people place Ziebell in the lists if he was our captain now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 23, 2008
This post
AFL Club
Richmond
Cotchins a good captain i reckon. People need to stop agreeing with every opinion on facebook.

A great off-field skipper, no doubt. He's the face you want to be putting forward on all your signs, billboards and membership schemes. And the guy yo want in front of a camera/microphone.

But so far I've been disappointed with his leadership struggles on field. When he has 25+ touch game, that's great (10 of them in 2015). But sometimes he can drift along, get his twenty and have little impact on the contest, or get mulified out of it completely as the result of a tag. Still seems to lack that mongrel, 'win at all costs' mentality that the better captains (Hodge, Selwood) possess.

Turns 26 this year, so should be coming into in his prime.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2008
This post
AFL Club
Richmond
What are you trying to rank them by...?

From the OP:

Simple idea, rank the current club captains based on their on and off field leadership and skill at the game itself. I know there is a few issues surrounding who some clubs captains are (Bulldogs, Eagles) but just use the 2014 captains and base your list on their length as leader.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm a Swans fan and member but I don't rank our co-captains at all. They don't stand up. someone said Jack stood up in 2014 but that isn't entirely true. A lot of his disposals were garnered either before the flood of Hawks goals or after when things were already over. He has also been conspicuous by his absence in other big matches.

McVeigh simply doesn't do it in big matches since the 2012 GF. His efforts in several crucial matches have not been just poor they have been a disgrace.

just playing well yourself is not good enough either. A captain has to have the presence to be able to bring the whole team along for the ride. He has to inspire by word and action. He has to be so revered that the team will do anything for him. goodsie, Bazza, Kirkie all had those traits. Neither Jack nor McVeigh have enough of any of them to lead a team to a premiership again. In 2014 Goodsie and Jude were still around and they were the ones who inspired.

1. Hodge -- Because he is a real leader who leads not only by example but inspires and directs. He identifies problems on the field and directs players as to how to fix them. That is true leadership.

2. Selwood -- For the same reasons as hodge

3. Boak -- Same as 1 & 2

4. R. Murphy -- Has done very well just like the top three

5. Reiwoldt -- Same as Hodge

6. Ward -- He has done well as the leader of a young team as far as I am concerned.

7.Pendlebury -- Got the lead by example part but that is about all

8. Pacvlich -- Same as Pendlebury but I don't think you can lead a team from FF

9.Jones -- Have you ever tried to lead a lot of losers? This bloke has dome well as a leader

10. Hurn -- He will lead very well and learn by that loss to Hawks.

11. Walker -- Has done quite well for a new leader but I still believe it is very difficult leading when trying to hold down a KP.

12. M. Murphy -- Under huge pressure was not too bad

13. Cotchin -- Tries hard and leads by example. just does not stand up in the big ones

14. Swallow -- This bloke seems to think captaincy consists of biffing a few blokes. Showing the flag is good at the right time. Not instigating violence

15. Rockliffe -- Hard in a crap team but he seems to blame his players too much and definitely doesn't bring them along for the ride

16. Jack & McVeigh -- Jack is a little better than Mcveigh. He at least tries to show an example and it has paid off a few times. But Macca goes missing and never gets back into the contest. He points out all the other players deficits and waves his arms around. He mouths teammates too much. Blames everybody else instead of taking responsibility and creating an example. Swans need tougher, more demanding leaders, who lead by example and gee the whole side like Brett Kirk

17. Ablett -- Showed a total lack of leadership when injured. May as well have been in Afghanistan.

18. Watson -- If I were a captain and injured I would not go to the test in England in the middle of the season. He left his young players high and dry. Sorry he showed absolutely no leadership and did not champion his players when their welfare was stake. He is a good onfield leader but off feild he has shown little or no leadership and has compromised his players.

SuperSteele22

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
1. Hodge
2. R. Murphy
3. Boak
4. Pendlebury
5. Riewoldt
6. Pavlich
7. Hurn
8. Ward
9. Selwood
10. Walker
11. Ablett
12. Jack/McVeigh
13. Watson
14. Swallow
15. Jones
16. Rockliff
17. M Murphy
18. Cotchin

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I'm a Swans fan and member but I don't rank our co-captains at all. They don't stand up. someone said Jack stood up in 2014 but that isn't entirely true. A lot of his disposals were garnered either before the flood of Hawks goals or after when things were already over. He has also been conspicuous by his absence in other big matches.

McVeigh simply doesn't do it in big matches since the 2012 GF. His efforts in several crucial matches have not been just poor they have been a disgrace.

just playing well yourself is not good enough either. A captain has to have the presence to be able to bring the whole team along for the ride. He has to inspire by word and action. He has to be so revered that the team will do anything for him. goodsie, Bazza, Kirkie all had those traits. Neither Jack nor McVeigh have enough of any of them to lead a team to a premiership again. In 2014 Goodsie and Jude were still around and they were the ones who inspired.

1. Hodge -- Because he is a real leader who leads not only by example but inspires and directs. He identifies problems on the field and directs players as to how to fix them. That is true leadership.

2. Selwood -- For the same reasons as hodge

3. Boak -- Same as 1 & 2

4. R. Murphy -- Has done very well just like the top three

5. Reiwoldt -- Same as Hodge

6. Ward -- He has done well as the leader of a young team as far as I am concerned.

7.Pendlebury -- Got the lead by example part but that is about all

8. Pacvlich -- Same as Pendlebury but I don't think you can lead a team from FF

9.Jones -- Have you ever tried to lead a lot of losers? This bloke has dome well as a leader

10. Hurn -- He will lead very well and learn by that loss to Hawks.

11. Walker -- Has done quite well for a new leader but I still believe it is very difficult leading when trying to hold down a KP.

12. M. Murphy -- Under huge pressure was not too bad

13. Cotchin -- Tries hard and leads by example. just does not stand up in the big ones

14. Swallow -- This bloke seems to think captaincy consists of biffing a few blokes. Showing the flag is good at the right time. Not instigating violence

15. Rockliffe -- Hard in a crap team but he seems to blame his players too much and definitely doesn't bring them along for the ride

16. Jack & McVeigh -- Jack is a little better than Mcveigh. He at least tries to show an example and it has paid off a few times. But Macca goes missing and never gets back into the contest. He points out all the other players deficits and waves his arms around. He mouths teammates too much. Blames everybody else instead of taking responsibility and creating an example. Swans need tougher, more demanding leaders, who lead by example and gee the whole side like Brett Kirk

17. Ablett -- Showed a total lack of leadership when injured. May as well have been in Afghanistan.

18. Watson -- If I were a captain and injured I would not go to the test in England in the middle of the season. He left his young players high and dry. Sorry he showed absolutely no leadership and did not champion his players when their welfare was stake. He is a good onfield leader but off feild he has shown little or no leadership and has compromised his players.

List is good - just curious on Swallow and the biff. I don't think he has ever been suspended.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back