Moved Thread Rank the Melbourne suburbs

Remove this Banner Ad

I live in Essendon and love the place. Heaps of places to eat and shop, you have Keilor Road, Moonee Ponds, Highpoint, DFO, and the airport all a short drive away, pubs everywhere.

As far as livability goes it's probably the best suburb of the lot.

I really hate Collingwood. It's an overpriced and depressing shithole. The Richmond-Abbottsford-Collingwood triangle of scum.

Actually as a place to live Essendon isn't that bad. It has some nice leafy streets. Seems pretty quiet and residential, with quiet shopping streets. I guess if you like that
Moonee Ponds and Ascot Vale is more the centre of Moonee Valley.

Collingwood is pretty much like Fitzroy, though a bit grittier with more light industry. Smith Street forms the border of Fitzroy and Collingwood and is kinda like Brunswick. Johnston east of Smith hasn't gentrified as much. I like Abbotsford, especially along the river and the convent.

It's funny when the movie came out a lot of Footscray residents were offended over how the film portrayed Footscray. It's fictional, of course, based maybe on a few much smaller incidents. White nationalists were no more active in the scray than anywhere else. The famous opening scene where they beat up the two Vietnamese kids was shot at Richmond station. Although there was a case where teo thugs high as a kite beat up a Vietnamese student to within an inch of his life, yelling racial slurs, a couple of streets from where I lived in Ascot Vale. My housemate at the time knew him well.
I grew up in and around footscray as as a kid/teenager until about 2001.

The area has changed pretty drastically from then. The asian gangs and heroin epidemic was pretty crazy. I think they went hand in hand.

Now the area is alright since the hipsters have moved in

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I like Footscray, Flemington, Kensington, Williamstown, Yarraville, but I have to kind of admit most of the west is bland new suburbia.
Add Altona, Newport, Moonee Ponds and Essendon to the list

The area has changed pretty drastically from then. The asian gangs and heroin epidemic was pretty crazy. I think they went hand in hand.

Now the area is alright since the hipsters have moved in

So I've heard. I first visited in 2009, and admit didn't think much of it other than the stereotypes. I just thought of the Bulldogs, Vietnamese and Romper Stomper. It's funny, like most non Victorians (well SA and WA) I first became familiar with names of suburbs like Footscray, Essendon, St Kilda, Hawthorn, Richmond etc through their footy teams.

It is becoming hip, yet still retains that down to earth multicultural feel.

Add Altona, Newport, Moonee Ponds and Essendon to the list

Newport and Altona are alright, though still a bit industrial. I guess I tend to think of the latter two as northern, even though they're northwestern/western too. Ascot Vale, Moonee Ponds, Essendon are surprisingly old areas too, with a lot of Victorian, Edwardian, California bungalow, art deco buildings. House prices have cracked the million dollar mark in those suburbs too.

Newport and Altona are alright, though still a bit industrial. I guess I tend to think of the latter two as northern, even though they're northwestern/western too. Ascot Vale, Moonee Ponds, Essendon are surprisingly old areas too, with a lot of Victorian, Edwardian, California bungalow, art deco buildings. House prices have cracked the million dollar mark in those suburbs too.
Struggle to get anything under a mil in Essendon and moonee ponds.

I agree with Newport and Altona, but the industrial area is pretty much confined to Kororoit Creek road

Struggle to get anything under a mil in Essendon and moonee ponds.

I agree with Newport and Altona, but the industrial area is pretty much confined to Kororoit Creek road

Not having a car here I'm restricted to train lines and bus routes for the most part. Kinda wish I had wheels to explore with, but maybe it would make me lazy, not explore as much on foot. I suppose every city needs it's factories etc. While pollution isn't good there's a stark beauty about the giant steel cranes, piles of colourful shipping containers like gigantic lego blocks, the Port of Melbourne, the busiest container port in the country.

I love walking around that area for that very reason

I moved here from Perth (as you might've guessed lol), love Melbourne for many reasons but one big one is the historic architecture your fair city boasts. In 1900 Melbourne boasted 650,000 while Perth had a mere 25,000. Pretty amazing, really.

Richmond maybe the most overhyped. Not bad in some pockets, very nice in those parts right behind the 'G, but most places to live feel really hot, really industrial, or some floggy apartment in the taste of an AFL footballer. Awful pubs for 90% of it – either pretentious but without the atmosphere to pull it off, cheap feeling footy pubs with plastic parmas, or the sort of joint where you'd be worried about a fighting breaking out after you spend 45 minutes to get into what is just a pub. There are however a small handful of really good pubs. One nearby does a pretty ludicrous pint special most afternoons and has a pretty passable beer garden and a good mix of people.

Footscray itself is pretty s**t. Heaps of break ins and the sharehouses are relatively cheap but they're all in terrible nick. So what it has some cheap Asian food but to be honest a fair bit of it isn't that cheap anymore and that's not really enough to keep you there. It's pretty amazing how working class it still is despite the people moving in – spent a small amount of time there when some friends lived there, the old codgers in the bars there, the immigrants...

The areas around Footscray though are pretty good, I really like them. All from Spotswood to Yarraville to Newport – really suburban, quiet, and Yarraville has the Sun which on a balmy summer night is really good... see a movie and grab something to eat and a few drinks at those bars that all spill out onto the street that's all opened up. Could definitely live in one of those. Houses have been looked after a lot better and there's more parks and it feels way more middle class and safe at night.

Essendon is pretty good, but it's depressing how it costs a *in mil to live there. Yeah it's safe but all the kids are little bogan shits, it has some okay cafés but a lot of them are sort of a 40-year old's idea of what trendy is, I know I sound like I'm hating on it but it's a little overhyped for being underhyped. Windy Hill is a nice ground though. Thing about that area is it's really good or really bad and a literal line separates it. Niddrie, Airport West are pretty ugly shitholes based around highways and even Strathmore gets a bit like that. Anything to do with Brunswick is gonna feel seedy and grotty so meh on West Brunswick. Moonee Ponds is a pretty decent strip around Puckle Street, very nice and suburban and a good high street. Ascot Vale, Flemington, and Kensington are *in great areas though. So anything sort of south of the start of Keilor Road is decent by me but the areas north are only considered good because they're near Essendon... in isolation they're s**t.

But being near a good suburb is how the Australian housing market works. Ffs soon houses in shitholes like St Albans will be worth a mil because they're close to ******* Footscray.

Anyway, North Melbourne is the right answer. Needs one or two really a-grade pubs because the current ones are just okay, but Errol Street has a country town feel and the people who live there are generally pretty calm, decent people. Real community feel. Some decent restaurants and cafés, good place for pres because you're a 25 minute walk to King Street or a $7 uber to the city or Fitzroy and you can generally even walk to Carlton-Fitzroy to a pub in the afternoon, and it's not a bad walk. But yeah, sick suburb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ascot Vale, Flemington, and Kensington are ****in great areas though. So anything sort of south of the start of Keilor Road is decent by me but the areas north are only considered good because they're near Essendon... in isolation they're s**t.

Ascot Vale east of Union Rd is good. The part west of Union Rd is annoying - walk to the train station takes as long as the ride itself and the tram takes about 10 minutes longer than it needs to because it winds through all the stupid Norf Melbourne residential streets (and the tram has a lot of ****heads) - and should be renamed East Maribyrnong.

Last edited:
Ascot Vale east of Union Rd is good. The part west of Union Rd is annoying, too far for a short walk to the train and the tram is at least 30 minutes to the CBD, and should be renamed East Maribyrnong.
I hate Melbourne's fascination with calling everything 'north' or 'east.' There's nothing wrong with having a big suburb and if it is that large and different, give it a new name or name it after the nearby station or something. Or after a footy oval if you're in Laithlain in Perth. East this... west this... it gets to a point where you have stupid terms like 'Carlton South' popping up. I've seen this on some addresses and signs down towards the city end... no... it's not Carlton South... it is Carlton proper. * it annoys me. What's next, calling the part between Southbank's offices and South Melbourne itself 'North South Melbourne?' Calling the part near the hospital 'West North Melbourne?' Ludicrous.

Ascot Vale toward Racecourse Road is really good, not as nice as Flemington/Kensington but some of the suburbia there is very nice... nice old houses, a decent vibe, Union Road is becoming full of some bars and eateries too. The Union Hotel has some serious potential too – no real pubs at all until the Doota Gala. It's got a good layout, they even made the beer garden out the back alright, and they sell $13 jugs of Furphy most of the time, but the ugly TAB and trashy signage out the front needs to go and they need a little more friendliness and a revamp of the front bar. But could become a pretty decent place.

I still find it amazing how decent those areas are and how much I like them, and then how hot and unappealing and massively bogan the suburbs a few ones north to it are. Also, what's with every kid under about 17 being the kids of middle class to upper middle parentage but acting like scummy little shits in their white high Nike socks and lad demeanour? Kids on the Frankston line can pull that off because their mum drinks a Jack Daniels knock off every night and they actually are addicted to smokes at 16. In Essendon their mum works two days a week and the dad is a dental assistant or something. *in dumb.

Actually as a place to live Essendon isn't that bad. It has some nice leafy streets. Seems pretty quiet and residential, with quiet shopping streets. I guess if you like that
Moonee Ponds and Ascot Vale is more the centre of Moonee Valley.

Essendon is a great suburb- catch the tram usually from Fletcher St (half way down) when I need the tram. Is nice and quiet and heaps of (all day) parking.

k

I worked at Broady in 2002 (retail) and then the high school in 2005-6. Yeah I get that I was there during the day (and I wouldnt want to live there)- but I had no issues whatsoever fwiw.

Broadmeadows isn't dangerous. Have been that far on the train a few times, even at night. Heaps of absolute ferals, bogans, yobbos, skanky chicks, wiggas, but there's PSOs constantly walking around at the station which is mainly where they congregate and they all direct their swagger and toughness towards them.

It's still a total shithole though.

Broadmeadows isn't dangerous. Have been that far on the train a few times, even at night. Heaps of absolute ferals, bogans, yobbos, skanky chicks, wiggas, but there's PSOs constantly walking around at the station which is mainly where they congregate and they all direct their swagger and toughness towards them.

It's still a total shithole though.
A bit like Footscray. It is different now to 10-20 years ago

Remove this Banner Ad

Back