9. Hawthorn 2013
10. Richmond 2020
11. Hawthorn 2015
12. Richmond 2017
13. Hawthorn 2008
14. Sydney 2012
15. West Coast 2018
16. Western Bulldogs 2016

It's one of those things where very different rankings can still look good because you can make a solid case for different opinions on this. I just wouldn't put the bottom 4 in the rankings at the top and the top 4 at the bottom. Any other variation can be explained well IMO.

Geelong 22 a bit over hyped imo

Having said that, the two best teams of the last 20 years were Richmond 18 & Geelong 08 and somehow neither won the flag

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Geelong 22 a bit over hyped imo

Having said that, the two best teams of the last 20 years were Richmond 18 & Geelong 08 and somehow neither won the flag

It’s hard to gauge. What do you look at - dominance over the rest of the comp? The line up? The rest of the comp?

If you draw a line through the last 4-5 months of the season we were as good as anyone but I think we’d probably struggle against some of the other Geelong sides, hawthorn sides, Pies of 2010

Interesting take, for a team that finished 7th, played two interstate finals and a game against the then Premier, on the way to the GF, something that will never be repeated.

As far as the GF went, all Bulldogs contributed, what did Tippet, Rohan, Richards or Papley contribute? Oh that’s right free kicks Bulldogs :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Yeah so finishing 7th shows that it wasn't a great team, great finals yes, team no.

Had a week off which helped the first final v Weagles, got a cooked Hawks next week, then basically a home final v a kids GWS team.

Then in the GF, Buddy got hurt in the first 5 mins and every bounce went their way.

I mean the Dogs won the GF, so give a * how it happened, but when comparing that team to the rest of the premiers it is definitely the Weakest.

I mean who won the Norm Smith again? Alot of those Dogs were ordinary at best but had a phenomenal 4 weeks. Almost movie like

Yeah so finishing 7th shows that it wasn't a great team, great finals yes, team no.
Had a week off which helped the first final v Weagles, got a cooked Hawks next week, then basically a home final v a kids GWS team

Then in the GF, Buddy got hurt in the first 5 mins and every bounce went their way.

I mean the Dogs won the GF, so give a * how it happened, but when comparing that team to the rest of the premiers it is definitely the Weakest.

I mean who won the Norm Smith again? Alot of those Dogs were ordinary at best but had a phenomenal 4 weeks. Almost movie like

I feel the H&A season of the Dogs was very underrated, albeit in a season with no standout teams.

- Went 15-7 (same as the 2017 Tigers)

- Lost Murphy, Wallis, Adams & Redpath for the season with injuries (at varying stages).

- Didn’t have Crameri the entire year (suspended). He kicked 30+ in 2015 & was very important.

-Dahlhaus, Johannisen, Liberatore, Wood and Macrae all missed big periods. Libba & Macrae both went down in the 3rd qtr vs Geelong….certainly turned that game.

With even luck on an injury front, I suspect there’s at the very least another 1-2 wins there.

Many make out like they won 11-12 games and snuck in. They were three wins clear of 8th and two wins off first.

It was a good year.

In regards to the finals:

- Yes the bye helped the Dogs, but were they the only sore team heading into the 2016 finals? Doubtful. Every team had it and we played first on a Thursday night.

- Hawks cooked? Going for a four-peat and were only a semi-regulation Isaac Smith goal after the siren away in week 1 from going into a prelim. Not the side they were…sure, but were far from walkovers.

- GWS were comfortably the form team of the comp. Beat the top of the ladder Swans in a QF by 6 goals (should’ve been more). It was a better Giants side than what Pies & Richmond faced (at home) in the 2019 finals.

- Every bounce went their way in the GF? Certainly didn’t in the 2nd qtr when Kennedy seemed to come up with it at every play. Putting the clamps on him in the 2nd half went a long way to winning the match…Dogs also stronger as the 2nd half wore on. Perhaps more battle hardened vs. Swans team that had walked over Geelong in 10 minutes the week prior.

Not doubting that there’s been more talented teams win the premiership in the 2007-2022, but no other side did it tougher, especially in finals.

How does that “rank” as a premiership? Who knows, but it’s certainly one of the more memorable ones.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back