Sydney 16
Sydney 14
Fremantle 13
Adelaide 17
Collingwood 02
Collingwood 03
West Coast 15
Port 07

There have been teams which seemingly on seasons results were very unlucky not to win the prize, if its based on courageous effort I would rate Collingwood's runner-up effort to Brisbane in 2002, the first of the 2 grand finals between the teams. Collingwood were well outgunned yet they were magnificent in their tackling ferocity and determination and unlucky not to beat the Lions with the Lions at their peak. They were glorious in defeat.

That was the day a lifetime of Collingwood hating ended for me, I am not necessarily fond of them mind you but much less antagonistic lol.
Our performance in that game is very underappreciated. We had one A-grader in Buckley and a few soldiers in Rocca, Burns, Clement and Prestigiacomo take on Voss, Black, Lappin, Akermanis, Lynch, Michael, Power, Leppitsch and so on, many players who were elite in their respective positions, and we finished 10 points away from winning the premiership. Buckley's ability as player and leader was simply amazing.

1. Geelong (2008)
2. St Kilda (2009)
3. Collingwood (2011)
4. Brisbane (2004)
5. West Coast (2005)
6. Hawthorn (2012)
7. Essendon (2001)
8. St Kilda (2010)
9. Collingwood (2003)
10. Collingwood (2002)
11. Sydney (2006)
12 Adelaide (2017)
13. Sydney (2016)
14. Port Adelaide 2007
15. West Coast (2015)
16. Fremantle (2013)
17. Sydney (2014)
Port should be last. Getting belted by 20 goals in the GF and beating WCE with Judd severely injured and Cousins going down wasn't exactly stirring stuff. Sydney 2014 who topped the ladder should no way be last or even WCE 2015 who beat the hawks in week 1 and Freo in 2013 who toppled Geelong at Geelong.

Also I will add that the Lions should have had a home prelim instead of travelling to Melbourne to take on Geelong with that bs MCG rule? If that's the case and I believe it was, the Lions you would think would have had a far greater chance of winning that 2004 flag.

Geelong didn't kick straight but we had a heap of rushed points. Also if we did kick a goal instead of a point, it changes everything. Who's to say we would have kept missing? The ball goes back to the centre square obviously and every single passage of play changes. It's not as though we were in a winning position and blew it. We got smoked in that 3rd quarter with 5-10 minutes of blistering football which is the best in a grand final, or any game that I have witnessed. Dew snapping majors, Rioli taking on and hunting down multiple Geelong players like a pitbull in the best and most inspirational tackle I've ever seen.

We were the best team throughout the year, but not the best team in the finals and certainly not on Grand final day.

Our performance in that game is very underappreciated. We had one A-grader in Buckley and a few soldiers in Rocca, Burns, Clement and Prestigiacomo take on Voss, Black, Lappin, Akermanis, Lynch, Michael, Power, Leppitsch and so on, many players who were elite in their respective positions, and we finished 10 points away from winning the premiership. Buckley's ability as player and leader was simply amazing.
Brisbane had a swathe of injuries that game. They were ripe for the plucking.

Yeah any objective supporter would have to say that. I prayed hard for a miracle for nearly a week before that game and by half time I was pretty much numb.
We were lucky to make the grand final and I suspect any other team would have had a similar result if they made it. Might not have been as much because some teams would have shut up shop and put 4 behind the ball.

Exactly. Imo Port 07 would've beaten any of the Sydney, Freo, West Coast, Adelaide Grand Final sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Brisbane 04
2. Geelong 08
3. Essendon 01
-----------------------
DAYLIGHT
-----------------------
4. Sydney 14
5. St Kilda 09
6. St Kilda 10
7. Sydney 16
8. Sydney 06
9. West Coast 05
10. Collingwood 11
11. Hawthorn 12
12. Adelaide 17
13. Collingwood 02
14. Collingwood 03
15. Fremantle 13
16. Port 07
17. West Coast 15
good rankings.

Geelong didn't kick straight but we had a heap of rushed points. Also if we did kick a goal instead of a point, it changes everything. Who's to say we would have kept missing? The ball goes back to the centre square obviously and every single passage of play changes. It's not as though we were in a winning position and blew it. We got smoked in that 3rd quarter with 5-10 minutes of blistering football which is the best in a grand final, or any game that I have witnessed. Dew snapping majors, Rioli taking on and hunting down multiple Geelong players like a pitbull in the best and most inspirational tackle I've ever seen.

We were the best team throughout the year, but not the best team in the finals and certainly not on Grand final day.

Dew aside, the rest of the hawks managed to match Geelong poor football in every way. Outside dew it was a fairly poor standard game.
It was the surprise result when it seemed the whole footy media had one result in mind which was the drama

Geelong in 08 is the obvious one but I think you are forgetting just how good the Sydney of 2014 team was. I mean the Grand Final was awful, but the team played some of the most dominant football I have ever seen from a Swans team in 2014. The match where the Swans dismantled Geelong by over 100 points was truly amazing to watch.

Notorious inferiority complexed geelong fan in Benny78 , you must have seen his work.
Ofcourse all 3 of Hawthorns 3peat is bottom 3... no mention of Port 2007 being miles worse, also yes Sydney 2014 was an incredible side that performed horribly on the day. Known idiot troll OP is.

Agree with those saying Saints 09.
Those two mobs in 09 gave us the strongest GF matchup i can recall in recent memory. Possibly ever. If it was better weather it may have been as good as their amazing rnd 14 clash...which was the greatest build up to a single game i can recall as well. Even in the greasy conditions the 09 GF was still magnificent.

Pinnacle of that great Geelong team, coz they needed to be truly great....and far and away their best flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back