Rank the runner ups of this century

Remove this Banner Ad

Um, Darryl Wakelin might have been a considered a key defender in that team.

Chad Cornes? Defender or Forward? (by the way Daniel Motlop and Brett Ebert combined for 100 goals that year)

Or maybe you consider Chad a midfielder playing alongside of the likes of people you missed like Peter Burgoyne, Shaun Burgoyne, Dom Cassisi, Kane Cornes, and Danyle Pearce. (I'll give you Boak given he was just a teenager in that team) playing at the feet of rucks like Lade and Brogan.

I don't expect anyone to remember anything else apart from the disgraceful GF performance, fair enough, but if you want to analyse them then at least try to do a fair job.

I just looked at the team that lined up on grand final day. Wakelin started on the bench so I missed him. Plus it was his last game. Anyway that was your starting centre line.

Port missed the finals in 2006 and 2008 and lost the 2007 Grand Final by 119 points. It's fair to say they are the worst of the grand final teams this century.

So was 1990 in the 80s?

Technically speaking, 1990 was the final year of the 9th decade in that century. So yes, as I said technically. It’s obviously never going to be referred to as the 80’s. However that was never really up for debate, it was about what the first year of this century/millennium was, which was 2001, as that was the first year after the completion of 2000 years. It’s really really simple stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure. Brisbane should be so low. They basically melted down during the grand final and after. Pike assaulted the CEO from memory.
Interesting -might have thought the tears might not have flowed quite as hard after 3 straight premierships and the realisation they were running out of legs and the era was at an end. Sad as opposed to the S word that isn't to be mentioned.

This is all general knowledge. Not quite sure why you find it so difficult to understand.

I understand perfectly. It seems you are the one not understanding that trying to force the season 2000 of our football into a 1900's discussion is like trying to force a square peg into a round hole. It is not going to happen, no matter how much you want it too.

I already gave my tip for you to work on this.
Give you the tip, the season 2000 is not part of the 1900's.
Good luck forcing season 2000 into that century of the nineteen hundreds.

Hence your issues.

I understand perfectly. It seems you are the one not understanding that trying to force the season 2000 of our football into a 1900's discussion is like trying to force a square peg into a round hole. It is not going to happen, no matter how much you want it too.

I already gave my tip for you to work on this.

Hence your issues.

I never suggested any of this and don’t really think it’s an issue at all unless someone says “Essendon 2000 was the best team this century” lol

Still the point is Port Adelaide 2007 were one of the worst teams to make a grand final and most teams since who have made the grand final would probably flog them by 10+ goals
Yeah that year Port won a number of close games the most memorable being a couple point win against Geelong at Kardinia Park when they were down a couple players. I doubt that we were the second best team in the league that year and went into the game with a few guys injured (Ebert & Motlop), a few on their last legs (Peter Burgoyne and Wakelin) and a few of dubious quality that had good years. Consequently we were likely to be the worst or at best one of the worst teams to lose a grand final this century. Although you can say there are a few teams that have possibly performed as bad on the day - teams that should have won but had their pants pulled down because of their own hubris read Geelong 2008 Adelaide 2017

I never suggested any of this and don’t really think it’s an issue at all unless someone says “Essendon 2000 was the best team this century” lol

They are not the best team of any century they want to pretend they want to be in.:p

My favourite season of people being upset about numbers was in 1996 when the league celebrated it as the 100th season of league football. Plenty of funny types amused me claiming we should not be celebrating it.
Fun times.

Our side in 2001 wasn’t too shabby. Most people forget we lead at half time and then ran out of legs in the last half against a very good Brisbane side. Was no shame losing to that side that’s for sure

Still the point is Port Adelaide 2007 were one of the worst teams to make a grand final and most teams since who have made the grand final would probably flog them by 10+ goals
And also when you look at the 2007 Port team take out Peter & Shaun Burgoyne, Thurstans, Wakelin, Tredrea and Lade and you have the team that finished second bottom in 2011. So really they were only hanging on by a fingernail with the guys that were left from the 04 premiership team.

St Kilda ‘09 was a great side. Riewoldt and Hayes had huge final series. Would probably take the flag in any other year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back