Rank them

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think for pure all round football ability Jack is probably the best natural “footballer” I’ve seen play for Richmond. Was a brilliant kick either at goal or in play on both feet to the point where it didn’t matter what leg he was on, brilliant in the air, great footy nous and then he added the fantastic defensive side to his game.
Nothing he couldn’t do really but the body is showing a lot of wear and tear now.

Jack R8 > Franklin

Honestly, Jack had/has him covered for football nous, contested marking and consistency. He also completely sacrificed his individual game for the benefit of the team.
The only thing that Lance is better at is long-range goal kicking.

I think that Jack’s career has been incredibly underrated by the media/non-Richmond supporters.

Jack R8 > Franklin

Honestly, Jack had/has him covered for football nous, contested marking and consistency. He also completely sacrificed his individual game for the benefit of the team.
The only thing that Lance is better at is long-range goal kicking.

I think that Jack’s career has been incredibly underrated by the media/non-Richmond supporters.
I've loved Jack as much as anyone, second best KPF for the last decade, but its hard to make a case of his career against the 8 time AA, 4 time Coleman medallist in Buddy, if it weren't for recent injury he'd be over 1000 goals by now but still sits at 944.

Jack is incredibly talented though, thats why I've comfortably got him at no.2 for the era, roughly the 2010-2020 decade.

Josh Kennedy, also a star, number 3 for the era.

I've loved Jack as much as anyone, second best KPF for the last decade, but its hard to make a case of his career against the 8 time AA, 4 time Coleman medallist in Buddy, if it weren't for recent injury he'd be over 1000 goals by now but still sits at 944.

Jack is incredibly talented though, thats why I've comfortably got him at no.2 for the era, roughly the 2010-2020 decade.

Josh Kennedy, also a star, number 3 for the era.

I honestly think that Jack was/is the better overall player.

However, I do respect your view and consider it completely valid.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I honestly think that Jack was/is the better overall player. I just think that Buddy has been hyped up by the media for so long that the myth supersedes the reality.

There's some solid objective data in Franklin's favour if you look at his career accolades and stats, I used to really dislike him, but there's no denying his impact on the game and I admire his achievements now. His goal scoring record in this day and age is amazing.

Jack arguably is the more complete player, at least in terms of pure footy nous and attributes for a KPF, particularly his marking ability, playing to a structure vs Franklin who is an athletic wonder and is just a "give me the ball" type player. But the intangible impact of just being the best for so long, I can't go past Buddy, 8 AAs and 4 Colemans is ridiculous. Injury might be the only think that cut that down from being 10 & 5 and over 1000 goals.

There's some solid objective data in Franklin's favour if you look at his career accolades and stats, I used to really dislike him, but there's no denying his impact on the game and I admire his achievements now. His goal scoring record in this day and age is amazing.

Jack arguably is the more complete player, at least in terms of pure footy nous and attributes for a KPF, particularly his marking ability, playing to a structure vs Franklin who is an athletic wonder and is just a "give me the ball" type player. But the intangible impact of just being the best for so long, I can't go past Buddy, 8 AAs and 4 Coleman's is ridiculous. Injury might be the only think that cut that down from being 10 & 5 and over 1000 goals.

Your opinion is completely valid and I have no problem with it whatsoever.

However, I personally would take Jack Riewoldt over Lance Franklin any day of the week. He is the more complete player and is a better fit for a system based team.

He also has done pretty well for accolades himself:

2× AFL premiership player: 2017, 2019
3× Coleman Medal: 2010, 2012, 2018
3× All Australian: 2010, 2015, 2018
2× Jack Dyer Medal: 2010, 2018
9× Michael Roach Medal: 2010-2018
Richmond vice-captain: 2017–present
State of Origin All-Stars representative: 2020
2× Ian Stewart Medal: 2010, 2012
AFL Rising Star Nominee: 2008
Tasmanian Football Hall of Fame, inducted 2018

Buddy is better than Jack easily. Buddy will go down as one of the greats of all time. Can’t just look at stats to compare them.

Jack would even agree that he’s not near Buddy

Let’s agree to disagree.

Thank you sante and juss for the discussion. Much appreciated.

A lot of talk about our missing players at the moment so I thought it’d be interesting to see where we all rank our best players amongst themselves. Not talking importance to the team, just as individual players. Obviously Dusty is #1 but how do we rank the rest?

Players in question are;

Dusty
Cotch
Jack
Lynch
Prestia
Houli
Grimes
Edwards

Probably should add Vlastuin/Lambert into this too
atm
Dusty
Grimmes
Lynch
Jack

Edwards , Houli, Prestia interupted season

2019/20
Dusty
Prestia
Grimmes
Edwards
Cotch
Jack
Houli

my take is Houli , Jack have declined in output , Cotch is good when he plays but has had injuries the last 2 years
Edwards and Grimmes are like red wine , getting better with age
Prestia B&F winner last year
and Dusty is the unfair advantage

That was my thinking with Liam Baker. I personally love him right now, but his body of work is rather small vs other Tiges.

His body is small and his body of work is growing but his heart is big
That was my thinking with Liam Baker. I personally love him right now, but his body of work is rather small vs other Tiges.

His heart is huge however..

Thought this was a umpire-related thread.

As in them GC umps sure are rank.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back