• Cold Chisel

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Men at Work

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
5 Aussie bands from a similar era. How would you rank them?

Icehouse
Australian Crawl
Dragon
Men at Work
Cold Chisel

I've created a poll where you can vote for 3 of these bands so we can get an accumulative total. I voted Icehouse, Dragon and Cold Chisel.

Just thought I'd point out that Dragon are actually Kiwi. Would change them for Hoodoo Gurus.

1. Cold Chisel - not a go to for me, but they are icons of pub rock. Songs contain tremendous lyrical content and instrumental diversity. Launched the very successful solo career of Barnes and semi-successful career of Ian Moss.
2. Men At Work - Colin Hay's unique voice has stood the test of time. Some very good singles recorded, and some hidden gems found within albums.
3. Icehouse - like vanilla ice cream, but I do enjoy vanilla ice cream. Recorded some very good songs, but I wouldn't play an album
4. Australian Crawl - I feel like they recorded the same three songs 20 times each. Errol is a tremendous song. Product of their time.
5. Dragon - like a couple of their hits from the mid-70's but nothing else would get a run. Not a fan.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd point out that Dragon are actually Kiwi.
Were formed in NZ but released most of their music while based in Australia.

Australian Bands
1. Icehouse
2. Australian Crawl
3. Cold Chisel
4. Men At Work

Kiwi Bands
1. Dragon

With the exception of Icehouse none of the Aussie Bands listed would make my top 10 and Dragon wouldn't make my top 10 Kiwi bands.

Just thought I'd point out that Dragon are actually Kiwi. Would change them for Hoodoo Gurus.

1. Cold Chisel - not a go to for me, but they are icons of pub rock. Songs contain tremendous lyrical content and instrumental diversity. Launched the very successful solo career of Barnes and semi-successful career of Ian Moss.
2. Men At Work - Colin Hay's unique voice has stood the test of time. Some very good singles recorded, and some hidden gems found within albums.
3. Icehouse - like vanilla ice cream, but I do enjoy vanilla ice cream. Recorded some very good songs, but I wouldn't play an album
4. Australian Crawl - I feel like they recorded the same three songs 20 times each. Errol is a tremendous song. Product of their time.
5. Dragon - like a couple of their hits from the mid-70's but nothing else would get a run. Not a fan.
Basically this

have affection for them and still occasionally spin a couple albums between them, but none would trouble my top 5 or so Aussie bands, I’d probably find room for Chisel in a top 15.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd point out that Dragon are actually Kiwi. Would change them for Hoodoo Gurus

Like Crowded House became big after releasing music here.

Id go Men at Work first if we can include the additional songs Hay released.

Otherwise Ice House, Dragon, Men at Work, Australian Crawl, Cold Chisel.

Like a couple of Chisel songs but not really ever been a fan.

If we did include Hoodoo Gurus they would easily be 1st. By so much.

Split Enz are stiff not to be included in that list of great Aussie bands.

Icehouse would be my first choice out of the actual Aussie bands listed.

I would have The Church, Divinyls and GANGgajang ahead of them though.

Did Gangajang release that much though? I can only remember the one album and a couple of songs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean, I'd have the Oils, Divinyls and Hoodoo Gurus ahead of these any day.

Yeah. These weren't meant to be my favourite bands. Just comparing similar bands.

Mental as Anything another band that rate a mention. Loved this song back in the day.

For me there are only 3 Aussie bands who I like over their whole careers and who I bother listening to these days, and none of the above are included:

1. Skyhooks (except for when Shirley wasn't the lead singer)
2. TISM
3. The Birthday Party (but not Nick Cave solo)

5 Aussie bands from a similar era. How would you rank them?

Icehouse
Australian Crawl
Dragon
Men at Work
Cold Chisel

I've created a poll where you can vote for 3 of these bands so we can get an accumulative total. I voted Icehouse, Dragon and Cold Chisel.
Overall Icehouse. All of the others have notable hits but nothing to the extent of Icehouse. Man of Colours is one of the greatest Australian albums of all time.

I need to listen to more Men at Work, their last song Down by the sea on Business as Usual is one of the best closing tracks on an album that I've noted.

Back