Rank these WCE teams: 1991, 1992, 1994, 1996, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2015, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Its easy for me comparing Premiership teams....the eagles of the early 90s clearly outclass the rest

Next eagles of 2006 with the awesome midfield

Last Eagles of 2018 good but not as good to the previous flag winning sides
That early 90's team was basically a state team. So much talent and depth. Great balance across all lines.

1991 - Finished 3 games clear on top with a percentage of 162.2, almost 30% clear of the next best. Just ran into a batmobile and a more seasoned opponent giving it one last hurrah on the big day.
1994 - Our turn to be the seasoned veterans. Our best GF performance. Not our most dominant year but clearly in the top echelon of sides over the H&A.
1992 - Returned to the well and got it done. Huge fight to stay in the game and eventually overpower the star-studded Geelong outfit. We came back to the pack massively in this season and gritted out a lot of games. After a 1-1-2 start the season was on the brink and we held on to a 1 point 1 over the Tigers at the MCG to get things going.
2015 - We played some goddamn amazing football in this season. The season I have most enjoyed watching us play footy as an adult.
2006 - Sweet redemption after falling short. Sublimely talented list that had to work to the last second to get over their white and red kryptonite.
2011 - We bounced back hard from the disappointment of 2010. Fit bodies, an injection of youth and we gave it one hell of a shake. Exciting attacking footy by and large.
2018 - #4 baybee! To see bung, JK and Lecca ascend the mountain after all the hard work was great. A stressful year as i think, with hindsight, our weaknesses and lack of flair were starting to become evident. A less exciting but possibly more rounded side than 2015.
2005 - Felt like such a waste of a year. losing to Adelaide last round to get bumped out of 1st and then falling to the Swans at the final hurdle.
2007 - **** injuries, **** Cuz, **** Judd. I stopped following footy for 3 years until the 2011 boys reignited the interest.

Probably showing my vintage more than anything.

1991 - 3 games clear on top with rarely seen in the AFL era percentage of 162.2, almost 30% clear of the next best. And that included a loss to Fitzroy. Screwed by travel and were basically dead by finals time. Was actually a brilliant effort to make the GF.
1994 - Just a great side.
1992 - Managed the season better than 1991. Wasn't quite as good a team but built the season brilliantly.
2005 - I actually think the 2005 side was better than the 2006 one. Just got ripped off by the non Sampi free.
2006 - Close to 2005. Note that 2005-6 were a combination of the best midfield in the AFL era (the three big mids were about equal to the Brisbane big three, but Dean Cox made it a better total midfield) with the worst forward line in the competition. Just shows how good the midfield was.
2015 - probably should have won it.
2018 - It was a Premiership, and a surprise one at that.
2007 - just all fell apart. The team, the injuries. Without the injuries could have been a 'last hurrah' side.
2011 - wasn't that great a team talent wise but probably was the team that was most 'teamie'. Did better than they should have due to the bonding and teamwork.

1991 - 3 games clear on top with rarely seen in the AFL era percentage of 162.2, almost 30% clear of the next best. And that included a loss to Fitzroy. Screwed by travel and were basically dead by finals time. Was actually a brilliant effort to make the GF.
1994 - Just a great side.
1992 - Managed the season better than 1991. Wasn't quite as good a team but built the season brilliantly.
2005 - I actually think the 2005 side was better than the 2006 one. Just got ripped off by the non Sampi free.
2006 - Close to 2005. Note that 2005-6 were a combination of the best midfield in the AFL era (the three big mids were about equal to the Brisbane big three, but Dean Cox made it a better total midfield) with the worst forward line in the competition. Just shows how good the midfield was.
2015 - probably should have won it.
2018 - It was a Premiership, and a surprise one at that.
2007 - just all fell apart. The team, the injuries. Without the injuries could have been a 'last hurrah' side.
2011 - wasn't that great a team talent wise but probably was the team that was most 'teamie'. Did better than they should have due to the bonding and teamwork.

Nah that's a bit harsh Lynchie kicked over 60 goals that year and Hansen was an okay lead up forward plus you had Hunter as the swingman...Chicks aggression and samps when fit......not the best forward line but certainly not the worst in the comp....it was overshadowed by the awesome midfield at the time

not the best forward line but certainly not the worst in the comp....it was overshadowed by the awesome midfield at the time
Yep, forward line was pretty bog average but not the worst. Can't win the comp with the worst FL in the competition.

05/06 even

As you can imagine not much between the 91-94 teams or 15/18 teams.

Love that comment that 02 was a fun year. Indeed it was. First year Judd running around showing the world what he was about to bring. But without the pressure of wondering if we were going to * it up in September. Most clubs have got to experience that year where you are down the bottom end of the table and you bring in the star 18 year old from the draft who lights it up a bit - it's a fun ride that one. Eagles fan are lucky because as good as some youngsters have been, no one has burst onto the scene like Judd in the last 25 years since AFL went proper professional.

Nah that's a bit harsh Lynchie kicked over 60 goals that year and Hansen was an okay lead up forward plus you had Hunter as the swingman...Chicks aggression and samps when fit......not the best forward line but certainly not the worst in the comp....it was overshadowed by the awesome midfield at the time
Lynch (I loved the Big Q) was a decent 2nd or 3rd tall. Was a big lump who could take that mark and was good for a couple of goals a game with the occasional bag. But that's it. He was a 2nd or 3rd tall.

Ash Hansen. I see a bit of rose coloured glasses there. He played 78 games over 7 years and only kicked 95 goals. And that was as the #1 lead up forward being fed by the best midfield in the history of the AFL. He struggled to mark overhead because of his dodgy shoulders. He was too skinny to be a pack presence. His buggered knees gave him the turning circle of the QEII and prevented him from gathering anything below his knees. He was also slow off the mark and easily outmuscled in the contest. In an era of pretty dominant forwards he never kicked a handfull in 7 years. And again, that was while being spoon fed by... Would have struggled to get a game at Freo.

Ash Sampi - could have been the best small forward of his generation. Too many pies and a lack of work ethic meant that he became a giant 'if only' player.

Who we were missing was Brad Smith. Possibly the best FF of the era who did his knee pre-season 2005 and again 2006. Would have taken the heat off Q and changed that entire forward line. But not to be, as they say.

Weren’t realistically going to win it, but 2011 and 1996 were fun years - and 2002 - that was a cracker.

Fond memories of this game. A win meant finals footy. A real transition team. Matera, Jakovich and McIntosh running around with Cox, Hunter, Judd and Kerr.

And the best of the lot.

TROY WILSON.

Phil Matera bags 6, Wilson 5 and Daniel Kerr a lazy 4 from 24 touches if you don't mind, on the way to a 3 goal win in Canberra.

For North, Simmo, Teague, The Dish and David King are all running around.

Lynch (I loved the Big Q) was a decent 2nd or 3rd tall. Was a big lump who could take that mark and was good for a couple of goals a game with the occasional bag. But that's it. He was a 2nd or 3rd tall.

Ash Hansen. I see a bit of rose coloured glasses there. He played 78 games over 7 years and only kicked 95 goals. And that was as the #1 lead up forward being fed by the best midfield in the history of the AFL. He struggled to mark overhead because of his dodgy shoulders. He was too skinny to be a pack presence. His buggered knees gave him the turning circle of the QEII and prevented him from gathering anything below his knees. He was also slow off the mark and easily outmuscled in the contest. In an era of pretty dominant forwards he never kicked a handfull in 7 years. And again, that was while being spoon fed by... Would have struggled to get a game at Freo.

Ash Sampi - could have been the best small forward of his generation. Too many pies and a lack of work ethic meant that he became a giant 'if only' player.

Who we were missing was Brad Smith. Possibly the best FF of the era who did his knee pre-season 2005 and again 2006. Would have taken the heat off Q and changed that entire forward line. But not to be, as they say.
What's super telling about our lack of a forward line in 05/06 is that, when Ash Hansen played, we were 30-4 over those two years. He provided some semblance of a marking/lead target. It provided us with enough of a structure that our mids didn't need to overextend as much.

Like you said: Imagine if Smith was healthy...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fond memories of this game. A win meant finals footy. A real transition team. Matera, Jakovich and McIntosh running around with Cox, Hunter, Judd and Kerr.

Ah memory lane.............Kane Munro, Humm, Collica, McDougall, Haynes, Green, Chambers, Taylor.

Shows need to turnover list cloggers.

Phil Matera, what a star!

Terrible shame he had a post 2005 dummy spit.

That period when a sport has turned professional and the players have gone full time, increasing the standard significantly in a quick period of time but before the game has yet to become sanitised is a great decade or two for any sport. This was just the beginning of the back end of that period for Australian Rules. Cricket was about 10 years prior.

I do wonder if the teenagers of today en masse will look at sport with the same fond teenage memories those of my vintage (mid 80's) and earlier do. From ~1995 to ~2005 for my mates and I it was about the only thing that mattered. I know this can be construed as "back in my day" or "old man yells at cloud" sorta stuff, but - small sample size I know - when I look at my circle of family and friends the generation above were still welded to their sporting screens up until (around) the turn of the century when the mass sanitation of sport was more or less complete. Men in their 50's who still slyly dreamed of playing professional sport became only a bit more than casual observers over the course of that decade.

I started making that transition about ten years later, still some 20 years earlier than my old man and my uncles. Now when I call back home I chat to my newphew and nieces and they seem to have already reached that phase of their life and they are all around 20 and younger - they watch most games (Swans fans, urrgh) but they don't really take it in. If I spoke to them tomorrow I'd be shocked if they could name one of the teams Buddy kicked six against this year. To be honest, I don't blame that at all. Being UK based, the last AFL game I went to was 2019 (Swans/Demons) and it was a very perfunctory night - you get in, find your allocated seat, buy your $10 beer (multiple times), watch the game (pretty good game), have the odd cheer, then get out of the ground and clear the area as quick as you can once the final siren blows.

Going to games of any sport now, and sometimes even just watching them (with all the betting adverts for instance), does sometimes feel like it's just an exercise on how the competition running that game can extract as much money from your pocket and put it into theirs and everything that happens on the field is just some trivial entertainment.

/Rant over, but that comment about fond memories of the 2002 finals qualifier sure hit a spark for me.

That period when a sport has turned professional and the players have gone full time, increasing the standard significantly in a quick period of time but before the game has yet to become sanitised is a great decade or two for any sport. This was just the beginning of the back end of that period for Australian Rules. Cricket was about 10 years prior.

I do wonder if the teenagers of today en masse will look at sport with the same fond teenage memories those of my vintage (mid 80's) and earlier do. From ~1995 to ~2005 for my mates and I it was about the only thing that mattered. I know this can be construed as "back in my day" or "old man yells at cloud" sorta stuff, but - small sample size I know - when I look at my circle of family and friends the generation above were still welded to their sporting screens up until (around) the turn of the century when the mass sanitation of sport was more or less complete. Men in their 50's who still slyly dreamed of playing professional sport became only a bit more than casual observers over the course of that decade.

I started making that transition about ten years later, still some 20 years earlier than my old man and my uncles. Now when I call back home I chat to my newphew and nieces and they seem to have already reached that phase of their life and they are all around 20 and younger - they watch most games (Swans fans, urrgh) but they don't really take it in. If I spoke to them tomorrow I'd be shocked if they could name one of the teams Buddy kicked six against this year. To be honest, I don't blame that at all. Being UK based, the last AFL game I went to was 2019 (Swans/Demons) and it was a very perfunctory night - you get in, find your allocated seat, buy your $10 beer (multiple times), watch the game (pretty good game), have the odd cheer, then get out of the ground and clear the area as quick as you can once the final siren blows.

Going to games of any sport now, and sometimes even just watching them (with all the betting adverts for instance), does sometimes feel like it's just an exercise on how the competition running that game can extract as much money from your pocket and put it into theirs and everything that happens on the field is just some trivial entertainment.

/Rant over, but that comment about fond memories of the 2002 finals qualifier sure hit a spark for me.
OT - very little cultural glue these days with the range of media available and your immediate circle of friends on tap, 24/7, on your mobile devices.

I think this has a range of negative repercussions for society.

*waves fist at clouds*

Little bit harsh on Big lynchie ...he was good for more than a couple of goals per game :) kicked 8 against the lions that year....6 against the bullies in the semi final...3 goals in the gf 60 odd for the year.....Yes it was a different era but you would take that today as a forward

Brad smith was good pity about the knees :(

We were good enough to win the flag in 1996, shame injuries caught up with us in the end.
and the Bull*** MCG rule. Eagles had to play Essendon in the MCG for some stupid reason in the semi final. Had that game been in Perth, Eagles would of won. Saying that.... Eagles would of met the swans in the SCG in the 1996 prelim final.

Can those of you ranking the 2015 team above the 2018 team explain the logic behind this?

By virtue of the fact the 2018 team was a far better team at the MCG alone should make that a no brainer.

Can those of you ranking the 2015 team above the 2018 team explain the logic behind this?

By virtue of the fact the 2018 team was a far better team at the MCG alone should make that a no brainer.
Not only did I rate the 2015 team above the 2018 one, I also rated the 2005 one above as well.

They were better over the season and except for the stupid can't kick straight draw against GC would have been minor premiers as well.
They really should have won it in 2015 and if I'm honest Richmond should have won it in 2018. We were better than the Pies, but Richmond got caught out and we got the preferred finalist.

Without going and ranking the actual seasons a couple stand out to me.

I thought we were a better side in 2012 than in 2011 until it started to unravel in the back half of the season.

Again in 2016 I thought for most of the season we were a better side and better prepared than 2015. We don't lose Nicnat in the game against Hawthorn or there's no bye in between end of season and finals and it's a completely different result. Playing Lycett, Giles and then bringing in Mitch Brown to replace Jetta against the fastest side in the comp. From the AFL introducing the bullshit farce that is the pre finals bye allowing the dogs to get 5 of their best 6 players back, to the AFL sucking off the dogs so hard via the umps to the second worst selection decisions in a finals game for the club (behind worsfold's changes for the 2005 GF) it to me is our biggest what if season.

2019 also the back to back that got away. We put in everything against Richmond at the MCG to come up short by 6 points only to then run into the Hawks who were actually in great form having had 2 ten goal wins in a row while we were exhausted all the while having a 6 day break after the Richmond game whilst the Hawks had a 7 day break off of bruise free footy against GC. All while Richmond got their ******* charmed 7 consecutive game run into finals all played at the MCG and again playing us after a soft kill of Carlton.

96 the Beginning of the SCG curse and the end of our first era. Came storming home only to lose to the swans at the SCG in the final H+A round. Then got royally ****ed by the old finals system, the MCG contract and it being the last real season of being a true challenger. We win that final H+A game, have the current finals system and maybe catch the break of having a pre-finals bye and we were the only side that would have challenged North in the finals. Destroyed them in H+A and had the hardened players to get the job done. The 1 point loss to Carlton H+A where we let them kick either 10 or 11 goals in the final quarter or our choke of a game not kicking straight against the cats. Should have finished top of the ladder.

I've compared them against the relative league. I think the game is always evolving so would expect 2006 to beat 1991 easily, but 1991 is still the better team compared to the era.

1. 1991 - Powerhouse undone by experience (and a shitty travel schedule) in the Finals.
2. 1992
3. 2006
4. 1994
5. 2005
6. 2018
7. 2015
8. 1996
9. 2011
10. 2007

The four premiership teams should occupy the top four positions.
Too simplistic.

The 1991 team was ridiculously better than any other team of its era.
Minor premiers, 3 games clear (including a final round loss to Fitzroy who, without that win, were spooners), massive percentage. Just undone by the club never having played in a GF before and a killer travel schedule that no team other than WCE 1990 had ever experienced before.

1991 was better than 2018 compared to the rest of the league and deserves to be ranked higher.

Too simplistic.

The 1991 team was ridiculously better than any other team of its era.
Minor premiers, 3 games clear (including a final round loss to Fitzroy who, without that win, were spooners), massive percentage. Just undone by the club never having played in a GF before and a killer travel schedule that no team other than WCE 1990 had ever experienced before.

1991 was better than 2018 compared to the rest of the league and deserves to be ranked higher.

Depends on how you rate premierships compared to performances during the home and away season.

Not sure too many Richmond fans would rate their 2018 team higher than 2017, 2019-20 despite finishing the home and away season two games clear in 2018. I see 1991 vs our premiership years the same way. I rate premierships, and the mental toughness they require, much higher.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back