RANK your AFL commentators with THIS tier list

All in all, which TV station has the better commentator panel?

• Seven

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Fox

Votes: 22 22.0%
  • Bring Back Channel Ten!

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I Prefer Radio

Votes: 36 36.0%
  • I despise commentating of any kind

Votes: 6 6.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

As someone lsitening since about 1970+ Roberts, Cometti, Morphett are so far above the rest it just ain't funny. None currently commentating come near, a bit like the game itself...just a shade of what it was... so lucky I wasn't born now and this is what you think passes as good! I know most with my experience agree. McAveney I also loved but see his up and down side. Ex champion footballers rarely make it to high levels.
Peak Bruce was GOAT. Latter day was just solid, he became too aware of catchphrases and one liners.

He cops a lot of grief for some reason but I actually rate Nick Riewoldt’s commentary on the game and his insight in panel shows - even allowing for the incredible drag factor he suffers from being on the abortion that is Best On Ground. He doesn’t over rely on obscure stats and garbage analysis
I find Riewoldt too overbearing and forceful with his opinions. Dude needs to relax. He comes across like a big-headed know-all. Which I wouldn't mind so much if his insights were valuable. But he isn't half as good as he thinks he is.

He was appalling during the recent Collingwood vs Port Adelaide game at the MCG. The Magpie hordes were feeling victimised by the umpires. They were booing everything, and mostly being biased and misguided. You expect that from one-eyed feral fans at the ground who don't have the benefit of slo-mo replays. Except Rooey couldn't put it to one side and be professional. He basically joined in with them, questioning every umpiring decision. Zero insight. Zero analysis. Just plain old barracking and umpy-bashing. It was amateurish.

But that was just one game...

Too often for my liking, Riewoldt will have a pre-conceived opinion about a player or team, which he'll then spend the entire game ramming down our throats... even when the actual on-field action belies or contradicts what he's saying. Most irritating!

He is not only commentator to do this. It's one of my pet-hates. Many of them are guilty of forcing their "narrative" onto viewers, rather than watching the game with eyes open, observing with an open mind, and actually learning something from what they see and informing us viewers.

This is one of the reasons why I've never been too harsh on Dermie (my Hawk-bias aside). He's probably coming to the end of his use-by date, but for all of his long-winded bullshit and idiosyncratic ways, he is one of the guys who actually observes the game with "fresh eyes" and informs.

Carey, Lyon, Brown and Riewoldt are the type of commentators who never learn anything from what they see. They think they already know everything.

Last edited:

I find Riewoldt too overbearing and forceful with his opinions. Dude needs to relax. He comes across like a big-headed know-all. Which I wouldn't mind so much if his insights were valuable. But he isn't half as good as he thinks he is.

He was appalling during the recent Collingwood vs Port Adelaide game at the MCG. The Magpie hordes were feeling victimised by the umpires. They were booing everything, and mostly being biased and misguided. You expect that from one-eyed feral fans at the ground who don't have the benefit of slo-mo replays. Except Rooey couldn't put it to one side and be professional. He basically joined in with them, questioning every umpiring decision. Zero insight. Zero analysis. Just plain old barracking and umpy-bashing. It was amateurish.

But that was just one game...

Too often for my liking, Riewoldt will have a pre-conceived opinion about a player or team, which he'll then spend the entire game ramming down our throats... even when the actual on-field action belies or contradicts what he's saying. Most irritating!

He is not only commentator to do this. It's one of my pet-hates. Many of them are guilty of forcing their "narrative" onto viewers, rather than watching the game with eyes & mind wide open, observing and actually learning something from what they see and informing us viewers.

This is one of the reasons why I've never been too harsh on Dermie (my Hawk-bias aside). He's probably coming to the end of his use-by date, but for all of his long-winded bullshit and idiosyncratic ways, he is one of the guys who actually observes the game with "fresh eyes" and informs.

Carey, Lyon, Brown and Riewoldt are the type of commentators who never learn anything from what they see. They think they already know everything.

No that’s fair enough particularly the forceful nature of his delivery and pressing his opinions - compared to say a Brown who will say ‘I think’ or ‘what about you blokes?’ When he shares a view.

I don’t mind commentators pointing out bad umpire calls I don’t like them ganging up or making out like it’s pro-one team etc but I don’t mind if they say hasn’t been the best five minutes for the men with the whistles or words to that effect.

I did like when Jack went past his career goals while he was watching in the green room and bombed that torp from aboit 60 out - ‘oh f*** off Jack.’

Rex, Huddo and Sam made me want to listen to the radio in the 2000s. Roy and HG in the 90s

View attachment 1472699

The 1992 GF between West Coast and Geelong - the persons place i watching it at in Sydney - insisted that we turn the TV volume down - and listen to the radio call of the game by Roy and HG - they actually called the game - and it was an absolute pisss take

When Ablett flattened/knocked out Don Pyke with a vicious foreman - elbow to the head - HG screamed out - look only a Christian could do that to you !!!

The ones that don't unasahmedly barrack against the Eagles in games? There are a few who do who are spew worthy.

BT has grown on me I must admit. Huddo besides him, the others are more or less similar to me.

I'm curious to see all of the individual takes on commentators in these forums, so to make it a simplified process, I wanted to start a thread where people can share their opinions via making a list of their own with the link below:

And just to start us off, I'll also leave you with my completely subjective objective tier list :)

View attachment 1472693
Best: Carey, Mathews, Brereton, Hodge, Healy
Worst: Hudson, Taylor, Quartermain, Lynch, Lyon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The prob is, like Muses, Prophets, and pr0n Stars, the good ones are all dead. We are left with shiite and less shiite.

It's the same with neighbours, bosses, teachers, politicians, bus drivers, Services Australia staff, fish and chip shops, modern cars, and people generally.

tierlistaflcommentators.png

Alistair Nicholson is pretty good, better than most of these Yahoo's.

Back