Rank your favourite band's albums

Remove this Banner Ad

Smashing Pumpkins

1. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - so hard to split this and Siamese Dream. If they'd compressed Mellon Collie to its best 12 songs it would've been unbelievable but it's still a brilliant double album.

2. Siamese Dream - would probably be 1 on most lists, their defining album.

3. Gish - young SP at their rawest.

4. Adore - a depressing follow up to Mellon Collie, but some beautiful moments in there.

5. Oceania - too long, but the mid-section of this album including the title track is just superb.

6. Machina I - this failure finished their time as a popular band and was their final work in their original form. Stand Inside Your Love is one of their greatest ever songs but there's not much else here.

7. Zeitgeist - I really struggled with this one.

Pavement:

Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
Wowee Zowee
Brighten the Corners
Terror Twilight
Slanted and Enchanted

Terror Twilight is maybe my favourite Pavement album, though, if not the best. There's lot of middling, boring songs but it also has their coolest, most notable, and most interesting sound. The whole album is like looking back on something in rear view... you can see the warm, orange afternoon in every song, especially the top four or five songs. And yes, those top four or five songs are their best ever. Maybe.

Smashing Pumpkins

1. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - so hard to split this and Siamese Dream. If they'd compressed Mellon Collie to its best 12 songs it would've been unbelievable but it's still a brilliant double album.

2. Siamese Dream - would probably be 1 on most lists, their defining album.

3. Gish - young SP at their rawest.

4. Adore - a depressing follow up to Mellon Collie, but some beautiful moments in there.

5. Oceania - too long, but the mid-section of this album including the title track is just superb.

6. Machina I - this failure finished their time as a popular band and was their final work in their original form. Stand Inside Your Love is one of their greatest ever songs but there's not much else here.

7. Zeitgeist - I really struggled with this one.

Zeitgeist sounds like an album which Billy made to the idea of what casual people not familiar with the pumpkins thought they sounded like.

And it's s**t

Kanye West

9. Cruel Summer
8. The Life of Pablo
7. 808s
6. Watch the Throne
5. Late Registration
4. Graduation
3. The College Dropout
2. Yeezus
1. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

I'm quoting this entire post because of how much I agree with it.

Dream Theater

Included 3 Live albums as they are simply awesome recordings.

1. Images and Words
2. Awake
3. Metropolis PT2 : Scenes From a Memory
4. Score

5. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
6. Train of Thought
7. Live Scenes from New York
8. Octovarium
9. When Dream and Day Unite

10. Falling into Infinity
11. Once In A Livetime
12. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
13. Dream Theater

14. Systematic Chaos
15. A Dramatic Turn of Events
16. The Astonishing

I'd have Black Clouds as second last and Systematic Chaos in the middle at around 7 or 8. ADTOE is my third favourite album.

The rest are almost bang on - The top two exactly and Score in fourth for sure. the rest I would just swap around a little bit

The Beatles

1. Revolver
2. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
3. Abbey Road
4. Rubber Soul
5. The Beatles - White Album
6. Magical Mystery Tour
7. Help!
8. A Hard Day's Night
9. With the Beatles
10. Please Please Me
11. Let It Be
12. Beatles for Sale
13. Yellow Submarine

Last edited:
Eurythmics:

Revenge
Be Yourself Tonight
Touch
Sweet Dreams
Savage
In the Garden
We Too Are One
Peace

The Who

1. Who's Next
2. Quadrophenia
3. The Who By Numbers
4. The Who Sell Out
5. Tommy
6. My Generation
7. Who Are You
8. A Quick One
9. It's Hard
10. Face Dances
11. Endless Wire

These are the band's studio albums. I haven't included the following must haves...

Live At Leeds (the definitve live Who album)
Odds And Sods (studio rarities)
Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy (non-album singles compilation '65-'70)

Pink Floyd
1. Animals
2. Wish you Were Here
3. Division Bell
4. The Dark Side of The Moon
5. The Wall
6. Atom Heart Mother
7. The Endless River
8. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
9. A Momentary Lapse of Reason
10. UmmaGumma

The Beatles
1. Magical Mystery Tour
2. Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band
3. Revolver
4. Abbey Road
5. Rubber Soul
6. Let it Be
After that i don't really like them

The Rolling Stones

1. Exile On Main St
2. Beggars Banquet
3. Sticky Fingers
4. Let It Bleed
5. Goat's Head Soup
6. Aftermath
7. Tattoo You
8. Some Girls
9. The Rolling Stones No.2
10. It's Only Rock 'n' Roll
11. The Rolling Stones
12. Out Of Our Heads
13. Black And Blue
14. Undercover
15. Their Satanic Majesties Request
16. Between The Buttons
17. Voodoo Lounge
18. Bridges To Babylon
19. Emotional Rescue
20. Steel Wheels
21. A Bigger Bang
22. Dirty Work

I'm not sure where their latest album, last years Blue & Lonesome sits just yet. It's a good album...probably somewhere between 13-18.

The Beatles
  1. Revolver
  2. Rubber Soul
  3. Abbey Road
  4. Sgt. Peppers
  5. White Album
  6. Magical Mystery Tour
  7. A Hard Days Night
  8. Help!
  9. With The Beatles
  10. Beatles For Sale
  11. Please Please Me
  12. Let It Be
  13. Yellow Submarine

The Who

1. Who's Next
2. The Who Sell Out
3. Tommy
4. My Generation
5. Quadrophenia
6. A Quick One
7. Who Are You
8. The Who By Numbers
9. Face Dances
10. It's Hard
11. Endless Wire

The Doors
1. LA Woman
2. The Doors
3. Morrison Hotel
4. Strange Days
5. The Soft Parade
6. Waiting For The Sun
7. Other Voices, Full Circle, An American Prayer - all minus Jim Morrison, I don't count them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Who

1. Who's Next
2. Quadrophenia
3. The Who By Numbers
4. The Who Sell Out
5. Tommy
6. My Generation
7. Who Are You
8. A Quick One
9. It's Hard
10. Face Dances
11. Endless Wire

These are the band's studio albums. I haven't included the following must haves...

Live At Leeds (the definitve live Who album)
Odds And Sods (studio rarities)
Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy (non-album singles compilation '65-'70)
Don't forget Rarities - there are some absolute gems on both volumes.
Thirty Years of Maximum R&B is also a hidden compilation album with some unreleased crackers on it. Have you listened to Melancholia? Marvelous song.

Don't forget Rarities - there are some absolute gems on both volumes.
I particularly liked Volume 2, with those '70's singles and B-sides. Those rarities albums were never issued on CD, we're they? All those tracks were though, on Who's Missing, Two's Missing, and also that magnificent box set from 1994, Maximum R & B. It was after that, of course, that the reissue series began.
Thirty Years of Maximum R&B is also a hidden compilation album with some unreleased crackers on it. Have you listened to Melancholia? Marvelous song.
"Melancholia" is one of my favourite Who songs. Incredible to think that it sat unreleased for over two decades. Recorded in 1968, it just missed out on The Who Sell Out, and didn't really fit with the narrative of Tommy. It was also included on the '95 remix of Sell Out. That issue has a different mix to the later 2CD, stereo/mono release.

Have you heard any of the HD/Mastered For iTunes download only releases from 2 or 3 years ago, of their (almost) entire catalogue? Their first 3 albums included both stereo and mono versions, and all albums featured the original mixes.

I particularly liked Volume 2, with those '70's singles and B-sides. Those rarities albums were never issued on CD, we're they? All those tracks were though, on Who's Missing, Two's Missing, and also that magnificent box set from 1994, Maximum R & B. It was after that, of course, that the reissue series began.

Yeah a few of them appeard on Who's and Two's missing. Volume 2 was superior but vol 1 still had some very good pieces, specifically Dogs (amazign drinking song, surprised it's never been on an alcohol ad) and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. I've seen the Rarities albums on vinyl on ebay, and assume they're legit but wouldn't have a clue about CD, I got them online personally. I've been a Who fan for only about 10 months and am now really sitting down and listening to everything they did - I'm hooked.

Maximum R&B is insanely good, a bit of everything from start to finish of The Who.

"Melancholia" is one of my favourite Who songs. Incredible to think that it sat unreleased for over two decades. Recorded in 1968, it just missed out on The Who Sell Out, and didn't really fit with the narrative of Tommy. It was also included on the '95 remix of Sell Out. That issue has a different mix to the later 2CD, stereo/mono release.

The Who Sell out is one of my favourite albums but still Melancholia would genuinely be the best song on the album I reckon, it's that good.

Have you heard any of the HD/Mastered For iTunes download only releases from 2 or 3 years ago, of their (almost) entire catalogue? Their first 3 albums included both stereo and mono versions, and all albums featured the original mixes.

Can't say I have, I should definitely get around to it.

Felice Brothers.

1. Self Titled.
2. Yonder is the Clock.
3. Tonight at the Arizona.
4. Favourite Waitress.
5. Through These Reins and Gone.
6. Life in the Dark.
7. Celebration Florida.

Craft Spells.

1. Idle Labor.
2. Gallery (EP).
3. Nausea.

The Living End
1. The Living End
2. Roll On
3. Modern Artillery
4. Shift
5. Hellbound & Its For Your Own Good EPs
6. State of Emergency
7. White Noise
8. The Ending is Just the Beginning Repeating

Sum 41
1. Chuck
2. Does This Look Infected
3. All Killer No Filler
4. 13 Voices
5. Screaming Bloody Murder
6. Underclass Hero

Felice Brothers.

1. Self Titled.
2. Yonder is the Clock.
3. Tonight at the Arizona.
4. Favourite Waitress.
5. Through These Reins and Gone.
6. Life in the Dark.
7. Celebration Florida.

Craft Spells.

1. Idle Labor.
2. Gallery (EP).
3. Nausea.
Craft Spells?! Gallery reminds me of being a student, I used to listen to Idle Labor almost every day while crushing on a Norwegian exchange student. I still remember seeing her in the meat section of Woolworths. Pale skin on black clothes against the weird meat. Ah, sick band.

OK Computer
Kid A
In Rainbows
The Bends
A Moon Shaped Pool
Amnesiac
Hail to the Thief
The King of Limbs
Pablo Honey

Do people even listen to albums anymore on the whole in the digital music age ?

I remember in my teenage years and twenties I did but rarely now.
More likely to watch a live concert DVD or bits of music on youtube or random stuff from radio in car in 20 minutes drive. Even in early 2000's if going for long walks with mp3 player and earphones rarely listen to an album but more edited choice of music on there.
The last album I got was online download a couple of years back and even that only listen to bits and pieces via putting on other devices.
The habit of having a CD player blaring out a whole album at home on lazy weekend stopped happening for me a good 15 years ago.

Digital age and internet has changed our habits of how we use spare time for entertainment I would think.
People whom have only known this digital age probably only download singles anyway for most part.

The age of albums is kind of gone for most of us.

Nah albums still do well but they're changing a bit. People will queue up a whole album on Spotify in the background which probably encourages the format – a few years ago, say 2010 even, you basically downloaded what you liked and I think that would make you take less risks (ie who can be bothered paying $10 or pissing around finding a link) with new music. Spotify is good for it. What you see though is albums becoming way way longer as artists try and get paid more – makes more money to have 25 songs at one cent a listen than 10 songs.

Nah albums still do well but they're changing a bit. People will queue up a whole album on Spotify in the background which probably encourages the format – a few years ago, say 2010 even, you basically downloaded what you liked and I think that would make you take less risks (ie who can be bothered paying $10 or pissing around finding a link) with new music. Spotify is good for it. What you see though is albums becoming way way longer as artists try and get paid more – makes more money to have 25 songs at one cent a listen than 10 songs.
Unfortunately that diminishes the quality of the album. When albums were - usually - around 40-45 minutes long, the artist had to carefully select their best possible tracks, and leave the rest in the vaults. Quality over quantity. Now, unfortunately, it's the other way round.

Well not every artist is doing it, it isn't affecting lower to mid tier indie bands for example. It's becoming big in rap and it's making the mixtape idea more prominent again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back