Rank your favourite band's albums

Remove this Banner Ad

Great thread. Too bad I havent heard of half the bands.

U2

1. War
2. Achtung Baby
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. The Joshua Tree
5. All that you cant leave behind
6. Boy
7. No line on the horizon
8. Zooropa
9. October
10. Rattle and hum
11. How to dismantle an atomic bomb
12. Pop
13. Songs of Experience
14. Songs of Innocence.

Left out Under a blood red sky.

Agree. But its just a select few from one concert.

You could put R & H in that as well, but R & H had new material on it!
Unpopular but I really like Rattle and Hum. It got smashed by tall poppy syndrome at the time because the whole thing was so pretentious.

Songs like Hawkmoon and Heartland are so underrated. The live songs are hit and miss (I still haven’t found and Silver and Gold the best), and it has maybe their best ballad ever. Without all the bullshit like the movie that came with it at the time, it holds up better today than a lot of their other work before and after.

Mine:

1. Achtung
2. Joshua
3. Rattle and hum
4. All that you can’t leave behind
5. Boy
6. The unforgettable fire
7. How to dismantle an atomic bomb
8. No line on the horizon
9. War
10. Pop
11. Zooropa
12. Songs of experience
13. Songs of innocence
14. October

Under a blood red sky is brilliant. And just as good is the Wide Awake in America EP that has the best version of Bad ever.

Rattle and Hum was a great album I thought except for Bono's opening line in the live 'Helter Skelter' cover (a horrible cover btw) about stealing back the song from Charles Manson

Green Day

1. 21st Century Breakdown (very controversial but emotional impact + strength of songs does it for me)
2. Dookie
3. Nimrod
4. Insomiac
5. American Idiot
6. Warning
7. Kerplunk
8. 39/Smooth
9. Revolution Radio
10-12 Uno Duo Tres

I'll add in some Wings.

1. Band On The Run
2. Venus & Mars
3. Red Rose Speedway
4. London Town
5. Back To The Egg
6. Wings At The Speed of Sound
7. Wings Wild Life

And some Fountains of Wayne.

1. Welcome Interstate Managers
2. Fountains of Wayne
3. Utopia Parkway
4. Traffic & Weather
5. Out-Of-State Plates*
6. Sky Full Of Holes

*A b-sides and rarities compilation which was big enough to comprise a 2CD set, so it's worth including.

And some Sherbet.

1. The Skill
2. Sherbet
3. Defying Gravity
4. Howzat
5. Life....Is For Living
6. Slipstream
7. On With The Show
8. Shaping Up
9. Photoplay
10. Time Change....A Natural Progression

And some Nik Kershaw.

1. 15 Minutes
2. Human Racing
3. The Riddle
4. Ei8ht
5. To Be Frank
6. The Works
7. You've Got To Laugh
8. Radio Musicola

(Yes, I know Nik is a solo artist).

Yes a Fountains of Wayne fan!

I only really know Utopia Parkway and if there's a better album than that in their catalogue I'd love to hear it

Should probs do Silverchair as well

1. Diorama
2. Frogstomp
3. Freak Show
4. Neon Ballroom
5. Young Modern Station

Smiths
1) Queen is Dead (great, great album. Moz/Marr at absolute peak)
2) Hatful of Hollow (cheating a bit as compilation, but better versions of early songs plus b sides)
3) Meat is Murder (bar title track superb, show how band more than just big two)
4) Strangeways (very good last testament)
5) The Smiths (few dud songs and at times lousy production ruin fine debut)

Morrissey
1) Vauxhall and I (magnificent, close to best of career. Now my heart.., Speedway, Why don't you..)
2) You are the quarry (banging singles and great ballads, great return to form)
3) Your Arsenal (great album with Mick Ronson, we'll let you know, I know its gonna happen... among his best)
4) Bona Drag (mirroring Hatful, early singles and b sides)

5) Viva Hate (bit inconsistent but how many guys come out of great bands with suedehead and Sunday)

Yes a Fountains of Wayne fan!

I only really know Utopia Parkway and if there's a better album than that in their catalogue I'd love to hear it
Utopia Parkway was the first album of theirs I heard too funnily enough. That was from 1999.

Welcome Interstate Managers is probably their best for mine, the other one would be their self-titled debut.

I thought there was a clear consensus thar scenes from a memory is easily their best album and one of the top 5 albums of all time.
YRah there is but I am part of the minority that likes other albums ahead of it. Actually my list is wrong. It’s third ahead of Octavarium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Green Day

1. 21st Century Breakdown (very controversial but emotional impact + strength of songs does it for me)
2. Dookie
3. Nimrod
4. Insomiac
5. American Idiot
6. Warning
7. Kerplunk
8. 39/Smooth
9. Revolution Radio
10-12 Uno Duo Tres
Very controversial; I don't mind the album at all, but it smacks of an attempt to replicate exactly what made American Idiot such a hit (also controversially, you have that at fifth?).

Should probs do Silverchair as well

1. Diorama
2. Frogstomp
3. Freak Show
4. Neon Ballroom
5. Young Modern Station
I think Young Modern is a great album, a sign of a band experimenting and changing. Such a shame they pulled the plug immediately after.

Tough one.

Awake
Images and Words
Octavarium
Scenes From A Memory
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Train of Thought
A Dramatic Turn of Events
Distance Over Time
Systematic Chaos
Dream Theater
Falling Into Infinity
When Dream and Day Unite
The Astonishing
Black Clouds and Silver Linings

The thing is, their new album is easily their best since ADTOE which I absolutely loved. It’s solid all the way through. It definitely deserves to be above everything else.

SC is an album I used to think was criminally underrated but then I realised I hate Forsaken, Prophets of War is boring and Ministry for lost souls is a sick four minute instrumental breakdown surrounded by ten minutes of rubbish. Splitting In the Oresence of enemies also detracts from it - who they think they are? Pink Floyd?

That leaves The dark eternal night constant motion and repentance to hold it up. Decent songs but not enough to save it from falling lower.

BC&SL can eat every dick in existence.
A rite of passage is excellent. Everything else is average or s**t.

Have to agree with this, but I think The Astonishing is really really good. And Scenes is the best easily. Also Octavarium can't be ahead of Scenes, ToT, 6 Degrees, Awake and Images and Words. Octavarium has some great songs but some that really underwhelmed like Muse's Never Enough

Have to agree with this, but I think The Astonishing is really really good. And Scenes is the best easily. Also Octavarium can't be ahead of Scenes, ToT, 6 Degrees, Awake and Images and Words. Octavarium has some great songs but some that really underwhelmed like Muse's Never Enough
Well that’s fair enough. But the great thing about music is it is subjective. ;)
Octavarium is a brilliant album with some absolute classics and yes as you mentioned some average songs. And as I said before I think I would actually have it in fourth. Also I happen to love Never Enough - the unison section in that is better than anything Muse has ever done.

The thing about 6 degrees is as great as it is, the title track has to be listened to in one sitting to truly appreciate it. Otherwise it is difficult to get into any one part if that song. I don’t like the way it’s split into eight tracks on streaming services. Train of Thought is a solid album and probably makes my top six with the others you mentioned but sits in sixth.

And as for Scenes - well it is a terrific album and a massive high point of their career without a doubt but I’m a child of the eighties - Awake and Images will always be vying for number one spot and Scenes has to be content with three.

Forgot to mention The Astonishing. Terrific album if you listen to it from start to finish. But if you listen to tracks by themselves only a handful stand well. Moment of Betrayal is up there with the best and most progressive songs they have ever done. Losing Faythe is beautiful but listening to it isolated it is more boring than Through Her Eyes.

Last edited:
Sufjan Stevens

1. Seven Swans
2. Carrie & Lowell
3. Illinois
4. Michigan
5. The Age Of Adz
6. Planetarium
7. A Sun Came
8. Enjoy Your Rabbit

Although to be fair, I've hardly listened to those last two, so maybe if I invested some time they'd go higher up.

Well that’s fair enough. But the great thing about music is it is subjective. ;)
Also I happen to love Never Enough - the unison section in that is better than anything Muse has ever done.
Agree, but then again Muse is lightweight. Despite all the mythology about Matt Bellamy being some sort of double virtuoso guitarist/keyboardist, the truth is he is neither. He's a hack when measured against Ruddess or Petrucci. But myths die hard with fans of pop music. Some magazine voted Bellamy as the 50th greatest guitarist of all time... Jesus. I've never heard him play anything that I would even call remotely challenging, let alone interesting. I struggle to even call him an ok guitarist.

Never enough pretty much eclipses everything Muse ever did - vocally, instrumentally, compositionally. I'm glad DT only did it the once though. It's beneath them to copy a band's style so blatantly.

Agree, but then again Muse is lightweight. Despite all the mythology about Matt Bellamy being some sort of double virtuoso guitarist/keyboardist, the truth is he is neither. He's a hack when measured against Ruddess or Petrucci. But myths die hard with fans of pop music. Some magazine voted Bellamy as the 50th greatest guitarist of all time... Jesus. I've never heard him play anything that I would even call remotely challenging, let alone interesting. I struggle to even call him an ok guitarist.

Never enough pretty much eclipses everything Muse ever did - vocally, instrumentally, compositionally. I'm glad DT only did it the once though. It's beneath them to copy a band's style so blatantly.
Look I don’t want to ruin the song even more for you but have you noticed LaBrie even copies Bellamy’s signature breathing during this song?

Unpopular but I really like Rattle and Hum. It got smashed by tall poppy syndrome at the time because the whole thing was so pretentious.

Songs like Hawkmoon and Heartland are so underrated. The live songs are hit and miss (I still haven’t found and Silver and Gold the best), and it has maybe their best ballad ever. Without all the bullshit like the movie that came with it at the time, it holds up better today than a lot of their other work before and after.

Mine:

1. Achtung
2. Joshua
3. Rattle and hum
4. All that you can’t leave behind
5. Boy
6. The unforgettable fire
7. How to dismantle an atomic bomb
8. No line on the horizon
9. War
10. Pop
11. Zooropa
12. Songs of experience
13. Songs of innocence
14. October

Under a blood red sky is brilliant. And just as good is the Wide Awake in America EP that has the best version of Bad ever.

Good points there DIG. "Exit" should have been on that album. Was awesome live. As should have In gods country.

Agree on "Bad". Best. Version. Ever. Bono is absolutely in a zone.

There is a short doco for UABRS. Great to watch. Concert nearly got cancelled.

I might throw in some Metallica while I'm at it. Not my favourite band but I'm listening to a lot of their

Master of Puppets/Ride The Lightning (I honestly cannot split the two - I think one is better and then I hear the other and change my name)
...And Justice For All
Black
Kill Em All
Death Magnetic
Load (could never get into this album)
Reload (Fuel is the best song on this album... and it's average af)
Hardwired...To Self Destruct

Garage Inc doesn't count but I'd slot it above the two loads; S&M also doesn't count but I'd have it marginally above Death Magnetic

Don't think I missed any... ;)

I might throw in some Metallica while I'm at it. Not my favourite band but I'm listening to a lot of their

Master of Puppets/Ride The Lightning (I honestly cannot split the two - I think one is better and then I hear the other and change my name)
...And Justice For All
Black
Kill Em All
Death Magnetic
Load (could never get into this album)
Reload (Fuel is the best song on this album... and it's average af)
Hardwired...To Self Destruct

Garage Inc doesn't count but I'd slot it above the two loads; S&M also doesn't count but I'd have it marginally above Death Magnetic

Don't think I missed any... ;)
Mine would be along the same lines. Death Magnetic’s definitely their best work in a long time and that concert was awesome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back