Rank your favourite band's albums

Remove this Banner Ad

I might throw in some Metallica while I'm at it. Not my favourite band but I'm listening to a lot of their

Master of Puppets/Ride The Lightning (I honestly cannot split the two - I think one is better and then I hear the other and change my name)
...And Justice For All
Black
Kill Em All
Death Magnetic
Load (could never get into this album)
Reload (Fuel is the best song on this album... and it's average af)
Hardwired...To Self Destruct

Garage Inc doesn't count but I'd slot it above the two loads; S&M also doesn't count but I'd have it marginally above Death Magnetic

Don't think I missed any... ;)
wow black album infront of kill em all?

wow black album in front of kill em all?
Actually no. I got that wrong. kill Em All is supposed to be above everything except the first two. Yes, even ahead of justice.

Also I forgot St Anger - I still like it better than Load and Reload - also hardwired is supposed to be above all three of those. I just wrote them and then meant to order them but didn't finish my post. Damn work distracting me!

Real order

Lightning/Puppets
Kill
Justice
Black
Death Magnetic
Hardwired
Lars' shitty snare
Load/Reload

Justice should be at the top of that list, if only Hetfield & Ulrich hadn't messed up the mix.

Has a remix been done of that album?

If not, someone should get Iggy to give it the Raw Power treatment.

Original:

Iggy treatment:

Actually no. I got that wrong. kill Em All is supposed to be above everything except the first two. Yes, even ahead of justice.

Also I forgot St Anger - I still like it better than Load and Reload - also hardwired is supposed to be above all three of those. I just wrote them and then meant to order them but didn't finish my post. Damn work distracting me!

Real order

Lightning/Puppets
Kill
Justice
Black
Death Magnetic
Hardwired
Lars' shitty snare
Load/Reload

ill do mine:
Justice
Kill
Puppets
Lightning
Death
Black
Hardwired
Load
St anger
Reload

Very controversial; I don't mind the album at all, but it smacks of an attempt to replicate exactly what made American Idiot such a hit (also controversially, you have that at fifth?).

For me, there's too many lulls in proceedings with American Idiot like BOBD and Give Me Novocaine, Extraordinary girl etc. Plus American Idiot and Holiday have been smashed to death by radio.

21 Century Starts with the most amazing song possible and does not let up bar about 2 tracks out of 15.

I will say that Homecoming from American Idiot is my favourite Green Day song of all time.

But 21 Century Breakdown is like the Rock Opera version of Insomniac or Nimrod.

It's my favourite GD album of all time.

Surprised Queen hasnt been rated yet.
Here's my list, the top 6 are locked in, as are the bottom 2. The rest could change order amongst themselves.
14 Flash Gordon
13 A Kind Of Magic
12 Hot Space
11 Queen
10 Innuendo
9 Queen II
8 The Miracle
7 The Works
6 A Night At The Opera
5 Sheer Heart Attack
4 Jazz
3 The Game
2 A Day At The Races
1 News Of The World

Led Zeppelin

1. Physical Graffiti
2. Untitled (fourth album)
3. Led Zeppelin III
4. Led Zeppelin II
5. Houses Of The Holy
6. Led Zeppelin
7. Presence
8. In Through The Out Door
9. Coda (not really an album, but more a collection of leftovers)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Led Zeppelin.

1. Led Zeppelin
2. Untitled
3. Physical Graffiti
4. Led Zeppelin 2
5. Led Zeppelin 3
6. Houses of the Holy
7. Presence
8. in Through the Out Door

I rate their first album more highly than most people because it resonates the most to me to this day. Imagine people back then listening to this. it was ground breaking stuff.
Side 1 of Untitled is freaking outstanding. Then there's When the Levee Breaks on side 2. Then there's Physical Graffiti.? All too hard. Maybe i should throw a blanket over the top 3.

PS. Martin Popoff's excellent book detailing his thoughts on Zep's 81 album tracks i highly recommend if you are a Led Zeppelin fanatic. I got it for Xmas and it's a great read, particularly comparing hie views to mine, haha.

PS. Martin Popoff's excellent book detailing his thoughts on Zep's 81 album tracks i highly recommend if you are a Led Zeppelin fanatic. I got it for Xmas and it's a great read, particularly comparing hie views to mine, haha.
Duly noted. Thank you.

BLONDIE
1. Parallel Lines
2. Blondie
3. Plastic Letters
4. AutoAmerican
5. Eat To The Beat
6. The Hunter
7. The Curse Of Blondie
8. Pollinator
9. No Exit
10. Panic Of Girls
11. Ghosts Of Download

The Kinks

1. The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society
2. Something Else By The Kinks
3. Muswell Hillbillies
4. Arthur (Or The Decline And Fall Of The British Empire)
5. Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround Part One
6. Face To Face
7. Kontroversy
8. Everybody's In Showbiz
9. Phobia
10. Give The People What They Want
11. State Of Confusion
12. Misfits
13. Word Of Mouth
14. Kinda Kinks
15. Schoolboys In Disgrace
16. Sleepwalker
17. Low Budget
18. Percy
19. Preservation Act
20. UK Jive
21. Kinks
22. Soap Opera
23. Think Visual
24. Preservation Act 2

Not my favourite but i was thinking about appetite for destruction the other day.

The whole album is amazing. I fact the non hits on it surpass the hits, like rocket queen is a classic.

Historically labels and bands would sell albums on the back of one or two hits* whereas appetite for.destruction is a quality album for start to finish.

Why record labels would hate things like itunes, why spend $25 on an album when you can buy the only good song on ot for $2.

I might throw in some Metallica while I'm at it. Not my favourite band but I'm listening to a lot of their

Master of Puppets/Ride The Lightning (I honestly cannot split the two - I think one is better and then I hear the other and change my name)
...And Justice For All
Black
Kill Em All
Death Magnetic
Load (could never get into this album)
Reload (Fuel is the best song on this album... and it's average af)
Hardwired...To Self Destruct

Garage Inc doesn't count but I'd slot it above the two loads; S&M also doesn't count but I'd have it marginally above Death Magnetic

Don't think I missed any... ;)

Think you missed St.Anger but that's ok lol.

Metallica:-

Master of Puppets
...And Justice For All
Ride The Lightning
Kill Em All / Black
Death Magnetic
Hardwired
Load/Reload/St.Anger

GnR:

Appetite For Destruction
Use Your Illusion II
Use Your Illusion I
GNR Lies
Chinese Democracy
Spaghetti Incident

Listed my favourite artist/band being BOC, but no one has Steven Wilson here yet:

1. Raven that refused to sing.
2. Hand Cannot Erase.
3. Insurgentes
4. Grace for Drowning
5. To the Bone

......and for old times sake: Hawkwind.

1. Quark, Strangeness & Charm
2. Warrior on the edged of time
3. Hall of the Mountain Grill
4. Space Ritual
5. Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music.

Metallica:
Black Album
Ride the Lightning
Kill Em All
Master of Puppets
And Justice for All

The Black Album is an excellent hard rock album. The others listed are decent, but if I am in the mood for thrash or general metal, there are many other albums by different bands that I would be reaching for first. So Black Album ends up my most listened by a wide margin. I didn't rate the other albums because I don't like them.

Captain Beefheart:
Lick My Decals Off, Baby
Trout Mask Replica
Doc at the Radar Station
Clear Spot
Safe As Milk
Ice Cream for Crow
Shiny Beast

The top 6 are among my favourite albums of all time. The rest of his discography that I haven't listed range from passable to total crap, except Bat Chain Puller, which I haven't listened to enough to rank.

Bad Religion:
Suffer/No Control (equal)
Process of Belief (the first one I owned, maybe it's rank is buoyed by nostalgia a little bit)
Against the Grain
Generator
New Maps of Hell
The Gray Race
Age of Unreason
The Empire Strikes First
Dissent of Man
True North

The ones I didn't list, I don't know well enough to rank.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back