Opinion Ranking Essendon Rivalries

Remove this Banner Ad

My dislike list in order. Really, if you barrack for Essendon and you don't have Carlton and Collingwood in 1 or 2, you really don't know your history.

1. Carl
2. Coll

Daylight

3. Hawthorn - they're rivals. We all know it.
4. Richmond - not really historical rivals, but a big Melbourne club with lots of premierships
5. Geelong - same as above, but supporters not as obnoxious as the team directly above
6. North Melbourne - mini geographical rival with a bit of history around the formation of the club
7. Western Bulldogs - the two "Western suburbs" teams, even though we're more North than West. Battle of the Marbiyrnong.
8. West Coast - one of the Coasters first real rivalries. Still waving jackets at each other after 30 years.
9. Brisbane - beat us in a Grand Final.
10. Melbourne - played in 7 Grand Finals (only Coll vs Melb equal that with 7). Old timers would regard it as a semi-rivalry
11. Sydney - not really historical rivals, but plenty of close losses to this mob and a few big games.

There is no real rivalry with any of these 6 clubs below. Everyone above these 6 clubs we have some sort of rivalry with, be it historical or geographic, or performance based.

12. Port Adelaide
13. Adelaide
14. Fremantle
15. St.Kilda
16. GWS
17. Gold Coast

Last edited:
It’s Coll Carl for me. 84/85 dealt with hawfforn, they are just another club so desperate to have us as their rival like norf/doggies.
You can't compare Hawthorn to North. They've won 13 bloody premierships, all since 1961. They are clearly on a different tier to North.

I don't think we "dealt" with them either. We won 2 in the 80's/early 90's, they won 5. The only reason they didn't beat us in the 86,88,89,91 Grand Finals was because we weren't good enough to make it. Essendon sitting on the sidelines while they win them, just so we can preserve a 2-1 H2H record doesn't count as a "win" unfortunately. I wish it did, but it doesn't.

That 160 point loss in 1992 still gives me nightmares. I stayed right until the end though.

I dislike certain players more than Teams.

Cody Weightman
Sam Mitchell
Alan Didak
Glen Archer

I think I hate little shits more than anything.

I wish nothing but misery for the above people.

Last edited:
You can't compare Hawthorn to North. They've won 13 bloody premierships, all since 1961. They are clearly on a different tier to North.

I don't think we "dealt" with them either. We won 2 in the 80's/early 90's, they won 5. The only reason they didn't beat us in the 86,88,89,91 Grand Finals was because we weren't good enough to make it. Essendon sitting on the sidelines while they win them, just so we can preserve a 2-1 H2H record doesn't count as a "win" unfortunately. I wish it did, but it doesn't.

That 160 point loss in 1992 still gives me nightmares. I stayed right until the end though.
That’s why we have opinions. I put hawthorn in the “desperate” for a rival spot with norf.

I dislike certain players more than Teams.

Cody Weightman
Sam Mitchell
Alan Didak
Glen Archer

I think I hate little shits more than anything.

I wish nothing but misery for the people above.
Weightman's theatrics / freekickbulldogs, libba being a mouthy prick, and the whole stringer trade fiasco have shifted the dogs from one of my "soft spot" teams to one of my most hated.

Carlton

Daylight

Port
Paddy's and that friggen song's fault

Gap:

Collingwood,
I don't have hatred anymore, but they would have been equal to Carlton 20 years ago. Despite Anzac Day delivering regular humiliation it is also a constant reminder that football is not the most important thing in the world. The fact that it wasn't until 2023 that we could create a gate-sharing game with Carlton speaks volumes. 25 years after we could with Collingwood. Also, the fact that they never win flags makes them feel less threatening.

Sydney, Hawthorn and Geelong.
I don't hate them, it just shits me that they had the new clubs coming in that stuffed the list building of Essendon, Carlton, Richmond and a few others. Then when FA came in they were able to extend their dominance beyond a time that was fair in a supposedly even competition.

The new clubs.
They are meh to me, but I hate their existence. It has upset the spread of talent among existing teams and spread the talent too thin.

Adelaide and West Coast.
I hate their fans and the way the umpires succumb to that pressure. However, that is becoming less and less of a problem.

Online there is a rivalry between us and North that I didn't realise existed in real life. Same with Hawthorn.

It is just Carlton. We were both powerhouses and polar opposites as clubs. Us with a real club and players that we developed. Them with a bunch of mercenaries. We were playing finals against each other and competing with the premiership tally. We have both gone through two decades of humiliation and been involved in a series of cripple fights and shared false dawns.

The rest don't make me care. I get parochial watching a game against them. I hope that negative/dirty tactics don't work for them when watching them play another side. However, I don't have feelings going into the game and I don't automatically cheer for their opponents.

First up…. * Carlton. Pure evil. Their supporters are horrid individuals in the main.
As the saying goes, there’s daylight between them and the next hated.

Attachments

• my-image.png
    my-image.png
    227 KB · Views: 18
I think this post will incur some wrath but here goes... I think that the North rivalry is higher than people are willing to admit. Driven largely by BigFooty expending effort to insist that there is no rivalry. It's like leaving a tonne of messages on your Ex's phone to say that you're not thinking about them OR going over to read the North board and posting that there is no rivalry.
I feel sorry for them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back