kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Actually there was one at home to Barca and the sending off at PSV
Again though, they're both things that were calamitous because of the result, but the decision especially in the PSV game was one that was sound, even the right decision, he just didn't get there. That's just something you have to accept with sweeper-keeper types. Sometimes they're going to misjudge, and as a result of being the last defender, it's going to result in something serious.

And Lloris >>>>> Kepa, at least at the moment. Kepa's got a lot of potential though and is unreal with the ball at his feet.

Last edited:

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’m starting to question whether Alisson is better than Lloris. Liverpools excellent defensive record this season is more down to the their defenders than the keeper imo. DDG and Ederson are clear no 1’s at the mo and I’d have Lloris third. Alison and Kepa still have to show more at this stage. They are both quality keepers but have shown frailties of late.

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Hugo Lloris now has the best save percentage in the league this season, and the best record with saving 'certain goals' according to xG. Really should be in consideration for the TOTY tbh, but the erroneous narrative that he's having a dip will count against him.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46839757

Edit: Furthermore, according to the link I'll post below, which is paywalled but I read when it was quoted elsewhere, "In wins over Cardiff, West Ham, Fulham, Leicester and Crystal Palace, Lloris has been the difference between three points and one - in xGoT terms, at least." That's 10 points. It means Lloris is the difference between 3rd and 6th.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...g-six-goalkeeper-analysis-hugo-lloris-making/

A lot depends on how much weight you give those stats of course, but imo, GK is one of the only positions in football where you can categorically determine whether a player is having a good season or not based on stats alone.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Hugo Lloris now has the best save percentage in the league this season, and the best record with saving 'certain goals' according to xG. Really should be in consideration for the TOTY tbh, but the erroneous narrative that he's having a dip will count against him.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46839757

Edit: Furthermore, according to the link I'll post below, which is paywalled but I read when it was quoted elsewhere, "In wins over Cardiff, West Ham, Fulham, Leicester and Crystal Palace, Lloris has been the difference between three points and one - in xGoT terms, at least." That's 10 points. It means Lloris is the difference between 3rd and 6th.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...g-six-goalkeeper-analysis-hugo-lloris-making/

A lot depends on how much weight you give those stats of course, but imo, GK is one of the only positions in football where you can categorically determine whether a player is having a good season or not based on stats alone.

Interesting data, the infographics showing location of shots faced and goals conceded for each keeper in particular. For whatever reason there’s been a clustering of high quality shots and goals conceded low to the right for Lloris, I wonder why that’s the case? Do opposition teams know he’s weak to that side and target it, or is it just chance?

D5322EE4-E44C-4FAA-9844-DAACF5E7062F.png

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Interesting data, the infographics showing location of shots faced and goals conceded for each keeper in particular. For whatever reason there’s been a clustering of high quality shots and goals conceded low to the right for Lloris, I wonder why that’s the case? Do opposition teams know he’s weak to that side and target it, or is it just chance?

View attachment 623829
Was there something similar for the other keepers?

My assumption would be that a majority of strikers/goal scorers are probably right-footed and regularly shoot low and hard across the keeper as the best route to goal, but obviously I have no data to support that.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lloris is a very good keeping but seems to suffer like David Luiz from having a few brain fades.
I dont see many keeping brain fades from Lloris. What you do see is his kicking is pretty bad. Maybe not Bosnich level bad whereby he hoof it into the crowd, but he often misses targets.

Ederson is one of the best kicking keepers in EPL.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Was there something similar for the other keepers?

My assumption would be that a majority of strikers/goal scorers are probably right-footed and regularly shoot low and hard across the keeper as the best route to goal, but obviously I have no data to support that.

Nope, particular to Lloris. Here’s Leno for example, who’s conceding everywhere.

AA47E2D5-98CE-41D9-9232-87E87F5B7630.png

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I dont see many keeping brain fades from Lloris. What you do see is his kicking is pretty bad. Maybe not Bosnich level bad whereby he hoof it into the crowd, but he often misses targets.

Ederson is one of the best kicking keepers in EPL.
Spot on. The distribution is the part of his game that is lacking particularly against someone like Ederson

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Like I said on the previous page, Lloris just has far too many blunders in between his good games.

Should never have been beaten from that position by Pedro, but he somehow managed to concede. The second though, that was a thing of beauty and can’t pin that one on Lloris at least.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Such a gap between his best and worst. For example, he kept Dortmund out with some great saves in that first half.

But then you see his errors reel and it’s terrible for a “top” goalkeeper. In big games too, recently against Chelsea and now Liverpool. The Luiz reference is very apt.

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer
Spurs desperately need a goalkeeper. Pity they maxed out on a stadium that a club the size of theirs didn’t even need.

Perhaps they could lure Gomes back.

Spurs desperately need a goalkeeper. Pity they maxed out on a stadium that a club the size of theirs didn’t even need.

Perhaps they could lure Gomes back.
I feel sorry for you. Sound familiar?
Amusing given you've done precisely what you accused me since your return.

We're fine, and we'll comfortably sell it out.

Back