Canary

All Australian
Oct 1, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Reading FC
This is only people who have played a game for the MFC (and only the top 20). It's a bit of a stretch to put Stretch in at 20, but it was a toss up between him and Dawes. I went on the logic that if we have Pederson, Watts and Frost in the team Dawes would be superfluous.

1. Nathan Jones
2. Jesse Hogan
3. Tom McDonald
4. Bernie Vince
5. Jack Viney
6. Max Gawn
7. Lynden Dunn
8. Neville Jetta
9. Jeff Garlett
10. Dom Tyson

11. Colin Garland
12. Christian Salem
13. Aaron vandenBerg
14. Dean Kent
15. Cam Pederson
16. Angus Brayshaw
17. Jack Watts
18. Sam Frost
19. Heritier Lumumba
20. Billy Stretch

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think everyone has possibly got Garlett too low. (I say that without having put my own on the line...) But he was our second highest goal kicker in his first season with the club, in a team that has really, really struggled to kick scores for the best part of 5 seasons. Garlett not being top five is the only major issue I have with any of the lists posted.

Garlett isn't top 5. Hovering at the back end of the top 10, at the very most. Gawn, Hogan, T.McDonald, N.Jones, Viney, Vince, Dunn are surely ahead of him at the very least? Kicked a fair few goals, also butchered a fair few and went completely missing on the odd occasion. He and Hogan were the only permanent fixtures in the forward 50 last year, so good chance they were going to be top 2.

This is only people who have played a game for the MFC (and only the top 20). It's a bit of a stretch to put Stretch in at 20, but it was a toss up between him and Dawes. I went on the logic that if we have Pederson, Watts and Frost in the team Dawes would be superfluous.

1. Nathan Jones
2. Jesse Hogan
3. Tom McDonald
4. Bernie Vince
5. Jack Viney
6. Max Gawn
7. Lynden Dunn
8. Neville Jetta
9. Jeff Garlett
10. Dom Tyson

11. Colin Garland
12. Christian Salem
13. Aaron vandenBerg
14. Dean Kent
15. Cam Pederson
16. Angus Brayshaw
17. Jack Watts
18. Sam Frost
19. Heritier Lumumba
20. Billy Stretch
So you would have Dawes at 21 and therefore on the bench? Who at 22?

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Garlett isn't top 5. Hovering at the back end of the top 10, at the very most. Gawn, Hogan, T.McDonald, N.Jones, Viney, Vince, Dunn are surely ahead of him at the very least? Kicked a fair few goals, also butchered a fair few and went completely missing on the odd occasion. He and Hogan were the only permanent fixtures in the forward 50 last year, so good chance they were going to be top 2.
It was damn nice having a proper crumbing forward which other than some of Kent's work has been lacking for ages. Does go missing and defensive pressure is mood dependent.

1 Hogan (is the forward line, without him we are 2014 again almost)
2 Gawn (the constructer in the ruck, if we loose him and hogan come round 1 i'd say our season is over, really huge holes to fill)
3 Viney (don't need to explain)
4 Kent (really missed to preassure he brought to our forward line in the year)
5 N Jones (leadership and class)
6 Vince (possesion machine)
7 Dunn (rock in defence)
8 Tmac (unbeatable when his confidence is up)
9 Salem (poise and decision making we lacked after loosing him)
10 Garland
11 Brayshaw
12 Pedo
13 Garlett
14 Jetta
15 VandenBerg
16 Watts
17 Tyson (higher up at his best)
18 Bugg
19 Frost
20 Newton

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
1 Hogan (is the forward line, without him we are 2014 again almost)
2 Gawn (the constructer in the ruck, if we loose him and hogan come round 1 i'd say our season is over, really huge holes to fill)
3 Viney (don't need to explain)
4 Kent (really missed to preassure he brought to our forward line in the year)
5 N Jones (leadership and class)
6 Vince (possesion machine)
7 Dunn (rock in defence)
8 Tmac (unbeatable when his confidence is up)
9 Salem (poise and decision making we lacked after loosing him)
10 Garland
11 Brayshaw
12 Pedo
13 Garlett
14 Jetta
15 VandenBerg
16 Watts
17 Tyson (higher up at his best)
18 Bugg
19 Frost
20 Newton

5 for Jonesy? Massive call.... And Tyson at 17?

I mean, there's objective and personal opinion, and there's being controversial for the sake of it...

Canary

All Australian
Oct 1, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Reading FC
So you would have Dawes at 21 and therefore on the bench? Who at 22?

I did mine more as an 'importance to the team' list. When we have Dawes playing as the second tall he vastly improves our forward line set up, even if he regularly spuds it up. He wouldn't be in my best 22 at all (Pederson would fill that role in my team) but his 'importance' as a big man is understated.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
It was damn nice having a proper crumbing forward which other than some of Kent's work has been lacking for ages. Does go missing and defensive pressure is mood dependent.

No argument there, particularly with JKH treading water. We're light on for good small forwards but I still wouldn't have one near the top 5.

I've been thinking what a naughty boy/idiot I was and I have come round to the idea Gawn is probably our number 2 most important player. From memory he was monstrous in the win against Geelong last year and that was one of the best wins of the season.

5 for Jonesy? Massive call.... And Tyson at 17?

I mean, there's objective and personal opinion, and there's being controversial for the sake of it...
As i said tyson at his best would warrant higher, but i should probably move Jones ahead of Kent or ahead of Viney

Completely disagree. He kicked 40 goals. Nobody has done that in a Melbourne team besides Hogan for a long time. And he was not actually playing at his peak as you point out. He could easily have kicked 50-55. It is definitely hard to justify dropping certain players down the list, and it's not often that the small forward is recognized as that important but in our situation, I reckon he's that important to our ability to score. JKH is not impressing me, and I don't want Kent plying that close to goal. So he's bloody important IMO.I would have:

Hogan
Gawn
Jones
Vince
Garlett
Tmac
Viney
Kent
From the rest there isn't much separating them.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Completely disagree. He kicked 40 goals. Nobody has done that in a Melbourne team besides Hogan for a long time. And he was not actually playing at his peak as you point out. He could easily have kicked 50-55. It is definitely hard to justify dropping certain players down the list, and it's not often that the small forward is recognized as that important but in our situation, I reckon he's that important to our ability to score. JKH is not impressing me, and I don't want Kent plying that close to goal. So he's bloody important IMO.I would have:

Hogan
Gawn
Jones
Vince
Garlett
Tmac
Viney
Kent
From the rest there isn't much separating them.

I look at is guys who are hardest to replace if they broke in half and we'd need to get someone else in. Hogan, T Mac and Gawn would be my top 3, even though Jones is our best player. We've got a reasonable cast of mids now and some good developing kids, whereas we've got no one who can go close to doing what Hogan can do, likewise with T Mac and I don't want Spencil anywhere near the team.

I think Garlett was actually pretty close to his best last year. He could easily have kicked 60, but he's always been a jittery set shot for goal. Any supporting forward was going to do better in our side last year with Hogan creating contests, bringing the ball to ground and dragging two defenders everywhere with him. I don't think Garlett getting injured is going to kill our team, whereas other players going down will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
He could easily have kicked 50-55. .

Yep, kicked 40.31 last year, which as a percentage isn't too bad, but his set shot kicking in particular was horrible, very easily could have been 50-55 as you said.

I really hope set shots have been a focus for him this preseason, would really like to not stress out so badly whenever he goes behind a mark

I look at is guys who are hardest to replace if they broke in half and we'd need to get someone else in. Hogan, T Mac and Gawn would be my top 3, even though Jones is our best player. We've got a reasonable cast of mids now and some good developing kids, whereas we've got no one who can go close to doing what Hogan can do, likewise with T Mac and I don't want Spencil anywhere near the team.

I think Garlett was actually pretty close to his best last year. He could easily have kicked 60, but he's always been a jittery set shot for goal. Any supporting forward was going to do better in our side last year with Hogan creating contests, bringing the ball to ground and dragging two defenders everywhere with him. I don't think Garlett getting injured is going to kill our team, whereas other players going down will.

I am starting to agree there, with just about everything, except that any supporting forward would have done just as well. I don't see any player on our list besides Kent that could have done as well. It's about his smarts, nous, whatever. Knowing where to be and when to maximize scoring potential. He did it very well last year. As you say, he didn't capitalize as well as he could've; but there aren't many other players that would've even been in position to score as frequently as Garlett was. And therein lies his importance. Maybe Nate or Bernie if playing permanent small forward, but that s**t ain't happening.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I am starting to agree there, with just about everything, except that any supporting forward would have done just as well. I don't see any player on our list besides Kent that could have done as well. It's about his smarts, nous, whatever. Knowing where to be and when to maximize scoring potential. He did it very well last year. As you say, he didn't capitalize as well as he could've; but there aren't many other players that would've even been in position to score as frequently as Garlett was. And therein lies his importance. Maybe Nate or Bernie if playing permanent small forward, but that s**t ain't happening.

Didn't say as well, just said better.

Dr Whoooooooo

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Im going this way for my BEST 22 for round 1
Backs: Neville Jetta | Lynden Dunn | Colin Garland
Half Backs: Christian Salem | Tom McDonald | Tom Bugg
Centres: Angus Brayshaw | Bernie Vince | Dom Tyson
Half Forwards: Aaron Vandenberg | Sam Frost | Dean Kent
Forwards: Jeff Garlett | Jesse Hogan | Christian Petracca
Rucks: Max Gawn | Nathan Jones | Jack Viney
Interchange: Harmes | Grimes | Watts | Lumumba

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Was thinking about this again in light of seeing Roosy show his hand with selections in the opening 4 weeks. Taking into account injuries etc, here's my estimate of how Roosy/Selection Panel currently see the list based on selections etc (with players' positions also taken into account):

1. Nathan Jones
2. Max Gawn
3. Jesse Hogan
4. Jack Viney
5. Bernie Vince
6. Tom McDonald
7. Jeff Garlett
8. Neville Jetta
9. Clayton Oliver
10. Dom Tyson
11. Jack Watts
12. Christian Salem
13. Aaron Vandenberg
14. Angus Brayshaw
15. Lynden Dunn
16. Colin Garland
17. Ben Kennedy
18. Dean Kent
19. Heritier Lumumba
20. Christian Petracca
21. Tom Bugg
21. Matt Jones
22. James Harmes
23. Sam Frost
24. Cam Pedersen
24. Sam Frost
25. Chris Dawes
26. Alex Neal-Bullen
27. Billy Stretch
28. Jayden Hunt
29. Johan Wagner
30. Alex Neal-Bullen
31. Jack Trengove
32. Jack Grimes
33. Jake Spencer
34. Oscar McDonald
35. Sam Weidemann
36. Ben Newton
37. Jay Kennedy-Harris
38. Viv Michie
39. Mitch White
40. Dean Terlich
41. Liam Hulett
42. Mitch King
43. Max King
44. Joel Smith
45. Jake Melksham

Meanwhile, completely unrelated ... But Dr Whoooo is posing as a Sydney supporter now?
Being a turncoat because of negative supporters is negative. I wonder if we got the word negative trending or schwabbsucks he'd have a melt down

May 27, 2006
This is the location section. 🤗
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pretty difficult exercise.

1 | Max Gawn
2 | Bernie Vince
3 | Jack Viney
4 | Nathan Jones
5 | Jesse Hogan

6 | Jeff Garlett
7 | Jack Watts