Opinion Ranking the Small Forwards

Which three small forwards should be best 22 in 2019?

• Liam Baker

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • Dan Butler

Votes: 48 88.9%
  • Jason Castagna

Votes: 30 55.6%
  • Jack Higgins

Votes: 44 81.5%
  • Tyson Stengle

Votes: 5 9.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, New York Giants
There is no denying that currently we have a glut of Small Forwards and, in there own right, are all able to be playing arguably the hardest position at the highest level.

Finally, a poll to answer once and for all, who you, the intelligent and rational Richmond BigFooty contigent, believe are the best small forwards on the list.

A lock, not even worth giving people the option.

Fair enough

Also for what it’s worth I picked Bolton, Georgie and Butler.... but I still think Higgins is best 22 but as a mid/fwd not small

There is no denying that currently we have a glut of Small Forwards and, in there own right, are all able to be playing arguably the hardest position at the highest level.

Finally, a poll to answer once and for all, who you, the intelligent and rational Richmond BigFooty contigent, believe are the best small forwards on the list.
Thank you. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wheres Rioli, Graham and Edwards?

Throw in Lambert on certain matchups to

Rioli clearly our best
Higgins I reckon has locked in his spot as he plays midfield minutes too
When fit, I reckon Butler is a bit better than George. Without going to data, their pressure seems to be about the same, and without even needing to go to data, Butler is miles more clean. Also has a few more tricks.

I’d love to see more of the others before making a call, so I hope they all get good senior runs next year.

Yes, Daniel Rioli is a lock and will be an all time Richmond great!!!
The one we missed badly was Dan Butler, he can do extraordinary things and his chasing is elite.
Bolton has all the physical tools and George is almost...
Jack Higgins will be a mid/fwd.

George is as hard as a cats head, unfortunately that's about it with him. Hands of stone, shaky by foot, HORRIBLE set shot.

If he is forced out by the others, we will be a better team for it.

Rioli, Butler, Higgins. If you're counting Higgins as a mid/fwd, feed Bolton a few hamburgers and he is next.

#1 - Rioli
#2- Butler
#3- Higgins (if not playing as a mid)
#4- Castagna (currently but shakey ground)
#5- Bolton (should go past George in 19)
#6- Baker
#7- Stengle

Dan and Snags are really heading into the midfield, with some time forward.

Sheds is there of course.

The rest, well we'll see where they end up. If Shai can continue to develop as a mid then we're a better team.

George is well worth his spot. But more on effort than his potential results. If he could just clean his work up he'd be elite.

Butler is a bit hit and miss. But he definitely adds to the team. At his best he's electric.

Stengle is supposedly heading to Adelaide. He'll be missed. But I don't really see his secure spot in our team.

As far as upside and potential Stengle reckon hes a better all round fwd than the others but he's yet to put it on the board.

Reckon the number of smalls we play creates its own set of problems for us.

Game plan. No.1 activity for Richmond small forwards is forward half pressure - causing turnovers, poor oppo decisions, rushed kicks. If they kick goals then that's just a bonus.

Says Dimma. He's been asked this question a few times and always prioritizes it this way.

That's the criteria to use when ranking our small forwards. It's who can execute our game plan best.

Last edited:
Edwards - but we need him up the ground delivering forward. Resting only.
Rioli - obviously a good player already.
Higgins - will move into the midfield. Needs to drop some kg's (he is very solid for a 19yr old) and get more run in his game
Butler - no chance midfield because he never gets the hard ball. Good link player and finisher
Lloyd - doubt it, but if he is around then he does work well off the wing and resting forward. He is class if only he was quicker.
Castagna - mainly a marking target who pressures when ball hits the ground. That roll will diminished with Lynch. Might struggle or reinvent as a Lambert type.
Baker - looks pretty good, but not sure he has the pace to play his roll due to lack of size
Bolton - glad he stayed, great talent that will take time to develop. Just needs to get stronger and more explosive which will happen.
Stengle - great talent, but a bit slow for a forward. Could play mid because of his core balance, but needs to work really hard over the pre.

I picked Dan Butler, Higgins (although he should be mid) and Bolton. Bolton is clearly behind Castagna at the moment but his upside is huge. Here's hoping he meets that upside (while he is at RFC).

Our current best 3 would be Rioli, Butler and Castagna.

Back