19 Robredo, Tommy (ESP) 2500 +3

20 Stepanek, Radek (CZE) 2440 +3

-------------------------------------------
Australians

108 Hewitt, Lleyton (AUS) 855 -38

132 Guccione, Chris (AUS) 693 0

167 Luczak, Peter (AUS) 496 -9

587 Tomic, Bernard (AUS) 79 +181

In the women's Dokic has moved up from #187 to #91. Serena has regained #1 and Ivanovic has slipped down to #8.

I hate the system, big Jo drops 7 places only because he makes the final last year, it sucks! and Davydenko should just be kicked out of the top 10 because he will never do anything

Will be tough for a-rod given the french is the next slam.
Roddick didn't play last years French Open though so it's a big chance for him to make up some ground. He's obviously not going to achieve anything there but if he makes a 3rd round which is achievable then he'll be in decent shape. And let's not forget he only made the 2nd round of Wimbledon so really as long as he continues to improve he should sit pretty well at years end.

Djokovic only made the round of 64 at Wimbledon last year, IIRC Safin took him out. Good chance for him to make up ground on Federer.

I hate the system, big Jo drops 7 places only because he makes the final last year, it sucks!

why is it stupid?? it's a 12-month ranking system and in the last 12 months tsonga has not played an australian open final....

he benefited from shooting up the rankings last year when he had barely any points to defend from the oz open.

but i don't think too many people would be opposed to a 24-month ranking system, however the most recent 12-months count for full points and the 12-months prior count for half points. in the end it probably wouldn't change the rankings all that much, especially in the top echelons.

Bundled out to Soderling quite early last year if I remember correctly. This year he made the semis. - He gained a stack of points.

Anyway, Del Potro's the worst player in that top 10.

It was Kohlschreiber in a 5 setter.

Del Potro is only 20 and has already made 2 GS QF's. Not to mention wining four tournaments in a row last year. Will improve heaps over the next few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love the ranking system, 12 months is long enough, if you do well the previous year, you got to be ready to back it up. It's fine. Easy to understand for all types of fans too. All Tsonga fans shouldn't worry, providing he stays uninjuired, he's got nothing to defend in the middle of the year. Oh boy, he could do some damage at Wimby.

People shouldn't be saying Davydenko shouldn't be top 10, he won Miami, made the Masters Cup final plus a whole of consistant results throught the season. People are obivously just looking at his grand slam results. Believe me he's defiantely not the worst player to be top 10, no way near.

No Aussies in the top 100 :( Hopefully Lleyton can rectify that with a few good results in the States in the next few eeks. He go in direct to Indian Wells in a month's time but this ranking will mean he won't make the cut for Miami, wonder if he'll qualify, get a wildcard or just not bother...

Gooch is playing qualies in the States too, has a QF tod efend at the month, his ranking might drop even further.

First time ever?

It would have to be you would think, but I haven't seen any reports saying yet again "Australian tennis in trouble", this time we have no players in the top 100 etc. Maybe the papaers are getting sick of those type of stories.

Yeah, it would have to be.

I checked every year for the last 30 years and once or twice we may not have had anyone top 40 or top 50, but always 3 or more in the top 100. Sometimes even 7 or 8. More of an issue than Hewitt not being top 10 or 20 is that we have had a long time for other players to develop and they have amounted to nothing. There is no excuse for us to not have 3-4 players in the top 100.

Our current standing in world tennis is embarrassing that we host one of the Grand Slams.

yep, first time since computerised rankings in 1973 that no australian has been in the top 100.

hewitt should be able to pick up some points mid year though if he can play even half decent tennis.... unfortunately that's a big if at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back