Lingsface

Premiership Player
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Of the current coaches who do you rate and in what order the best players out of them, for me number 1 is Michael Voss by a fair way.

1- Voss
2-Mitchell
3-Longmire
4-Ratten
5-Scott
6-Longmuir
7-Simpson
8-Dew
9-Rutten
10- Goodwin
11-Hardwick
12-Mcveigh

Of the current coaches who do you rate and in what order the best players out of them, for me number 1 is Michael Voss by a fair way.

1- Voss
2-Mitchell
3-Longmire
4-Ratten
5-Scott
6-Longmuir
7-Simpson
8-Dew
9-Rutten
10Hardwick
11-Mcveigh
Poor Goody. :(

Longmuir (139 games, 1 leading goal kicker) ahead of

Adam Simpson: 300 game, best and fairest, All-Australian, dual premiership player
Stuart Dew: 200 games, Dual premiership player, 1 leading goal kicker
Damien Hardwick: 200 games, dual premiership player, best and fairest, All-Australian
Simon Goodwin: Hall of fame inductee, 275 games, Dual premiership player, 5 X All-Australian, 3 X best and fairest

Yeah nah

Even someone like
Brett Rutten (229 games, All Australian)
Ken Hinkley (Dual All Australian, best and fairest)

Arguably had better credentialed careers

Last edited:
Longmuir (139 games, 1 leading goal kicker) ahead of

Adam Simpson: 300 game, best and fairest, All-Australian, dual premiership player
Stuart Dew: 200 games, Dual premiership player, 1 leading goal kicker
Brett Ratten: 250 games, Premiership Player, 3 time All-Australian
Damien Hardwick: 200 games, dual premiership player, best and fairest, All-Australian
Simon Goodwin: Hall of fame inductee, 275 games, Dual premiership player, 5 X All-Australian, 3 X best and fairest

Yeah nah
Ok then this is your queue… present team.

1- Voss
2-Mitchell
3-Longmire
4-Ratten
5-Scott
6-Longmuir
7-Simpson
8-Dew
9-Rutten
10- Goodwin
11-Hardwick
12-Mcveigh

longmuir was an absolute potato

Ok then this is your queue… present team.

If I gave it a stab

1) Voss
2) Mitchell
3) Goodwin
4) Ratten
5) Simpson
6) Longmire
7) Damien Hardwick
8) Chris Scott
9) Stuart Dew
10) Ken Hinkley
11) Craig McRae
12) Brett Rutten
13) Justin Longmuir
14) Mark McVeigh
15) Matthew Nicks
16) Luke Beveridge
17) David Noble
18) Chris Fagan

Voss 1 and 16-18 are locks, rest comes down to how you rated their playing careers and weigh up their achievements

1- Voss
2-Mitchell
3-Longmire
4-Ratten
5-Scott
6-Longmuir
7-Simpson
8-Dew
9-Rutten
10- Goodwin
11-Hardwick
12-Mcveigh
In what world were the likes of Longmuir, Simpson, Dew, Rutten and Scott better players than Goodwin? Even Longmire and Ratten were behind him in terms of accolades (5 x AA, 3 × B&F, 2 x premiership player, AFL HoF member, AFLCA player of the year and more).

1- Voss
2-Mitchell
3-Longmire
4-Ratten
5-Scott
6-Longmuir
7-Simpson
8-Dew
9-Rutten
10- Goodwin
11-Hardwick
12-Mcveigh

Ratten was a way better player than Longmire

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I gave it a stab

1) Voss
2) Mitchell
3) Goodwin
4) Ratten
5) Simpson
6) Longmire
7) Damien Hardwick
8) Chris Scott
9) Stuart Dew
10) Ken Hinkley
11) Craig McRae
12) Brett Rutten
13) Justin Longmuir
14) Mark McVeigh
15) Matthew Nicks
16) Luke Beveridge
17) David Noble
18) Chris Fagan

Voss 1 and 16-18 are locks, rest comes down to how you rated their playing careers and weigh up their achievements

This is a good effort itseems as though coaches have been either backmen or midfielders over the years, got the two key forwards in there atm which isn’t too common.

In what world were the likes of Longmuir, Simpson, Dew, Rutten and Scott better players than Goodwin? Even Longmire and Ratten were behind him in terms of accolades (5 x AA, 3 × B&F, 2 x premiership player, AFL HoF member, AFLCA player of the year and more).
I think Goodwin was a decent player but I honestly would pick Dew Rutten Simpson ahead of him. Nice resume but would find it hard to give him much more credit than Simpson.

I think Goodwin was a decent player but I honestly would pick Dew Rutten Simpson ahead of him. Nice resume but would find it hard to give him much more credit than Simpson.

Goodwin is in the AFL Hall of Fame as a player...

A tad more than just decent

Longmire is a Coleman medalist and has kicked upwards of 600 goals from memory along with premierships. There wasn’t really much other than him and Carey in terms of match winners in that side.

Your memory is wrong and he played in 1 premiership and his peak was very brief. He was a very good player for a short time, a good player for
A reasonable time.

Ratten was, aside from diesel, the heart and soul of the carlton midfield for a decade - when they were good. He also from memory has been the highest rated player by champion data in their history

1. Voss
2. Mitchell
3. Goodwin
4. Simpson
5. Ratten
6. Longmire
7. Rutten
8. Scott
9. Hardwick
10. Dew
11. McRae
12. McVeigh
13. Hinkley
14. Longmuir
15. Nicks
16. Beveridge
17. Noble
18. Fagan

Two time all Australian Ken Hinkley - and club best and fairest in a runner up season - is 13th?

Voss and Mitchell are the standouts with both being Brownlow Medalists and premiership captains.

Next tier below is Goodwin, Simpson and Ratten. All premiership players, club captains, All-Australians and B&F winners.

Longmire feels like he’s in a category of his own. The standout coach to kick the most career goals (511) and be a Coleman Medalist.

Rutten, Scott, Hardwick, Dew and McRae are all pretty close after that. All apart from Rutten are premiership players but all had good credentials.

McVeigh played 232 games, which is more than the five directly above him played but his highlights are scarce.

Hinkley was a bit before my time so my bias is probably showing in having him lower than expected. Only playing 132 games dragged him down the rankings as well.

I rate Longmuir ahead of Nicks. More goals + Freo’s leading goal kicker in their wooden spoon year in 2001.

Beveridge is largely forgettable, but carved out a decent career to play a tad over 100 games.

Noble played 2 games for Fitzroy in 1991.

Fagan never played at VFL/AFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back