Roast Rants, off-topic banter, who ignores who & what Greg Williams' relatives know

Remove this Banner Ad

Ripping it up?

Just like his opponents... Most overrated stk player I have known.

Guy kicked 3 against GWS (one from a 50) he became Simon Madden. Whilst his opponent had 20 possessions, a goal, 46 hit outs. So whilst Hickey played his best ever game, His opponent was near BOG.

Hopefully he becomes a player, but ATM his numbers are average and he is as skinny as a rake. With a frame more like Josh Fraser than Darren Jolly.

I see no feature of his game that says he's going to become a gun
Not aggressive
Not strong
Not agile
Not fast
Loses most ruck contests
Not skilful
Takes few contested marks

He may well improve, in fact he needs to.... Because whilst Longer looks a plodder... He is big, aggressive and competes physically in the contest... Reminds me of Grundy, Maric, Jolley, Lobbe.... Whereas Hickey lacks physicality.

Hope he proves me wrong but?....

Wait, you don't rate Hickey?

Not yet!

Hopefully one day?

What I am mystified about was giving up a valuable pick in the draft for an unproven ruck (only) when we already had a ruck (only) whom we also gave up a high dp to secure?

It made sense when we traded Ben

Then we used another high DP on another Ruckmen (only)

IMO you only require one
One back up Ruck (only)
One developing (only)
One project ruck

Along with
Senior Fwd/Ruck
Back up Fwd/Ruck

b1113e0371b6a58e4fc729b5f54c98d1638b54f1a6ffcd0dfae05f076624c961.jpg

I don't rate anyone?

Billings, Dunstan, Acres, Weller, Geary, Armitage, Riewoldt, Hayes, Fisher, Montagna, Newnes, Siposs, Hayes, Delaney, Dempster, Bruce

There's a few I rate highly

So your post is inaccurate

Can you at least begin to type like someone who has actually had schooling even if we can't convince you to have sensible opinions?

Yawn

Are posts that don't debate the issue... But focus on the person.

Inability to argue a point, says a bit about lack of knowledge IMO.

Like players who play the man and not the ball... Why... Because they have not got the ability to win the ball...

Ripping it up?

Just like his opponents... Most overrated stk player I have known.

Guy kicked 3 against GWS (one from a 50) he became Simon Madden. Whilst his opponent had 20 possessions, a goal, 46 hit outs. So whilst Hickey played his best ever game, His opponent was near BOG.

Hopefully he becomes a player, but ATM his numbers are average and he is as skinny as a rake. With a frame more like Josh Fraser than Darren Jolly.

I see no feature of his game that says he's going to become a gun
Not aggressive
Not strong
Not agile
Not fast
Loses most ruck contests
Not skilful
Takes few contested marks

He may well improve, in fact he needs to.... Because whilst Longer looks a plodder... He is big, aggressive and competes physically in the contest... Reminds me of Grundy, Maric, Jolley, Lobbe.... Whereas Hickey lacks physicality.

Hope he proves me wrong but?....
114.gif

Almost all the stats point to those points.

What point did I push about Hickeys trade?

Did we not down grade pick 13 to pick 24 for Tom Hickey?

Did we not have Ben McEvoy (pick 9) at the time of his trading?

Tom has played 30 games for 34 contested marks .... Not exactly Stewie Loewe really? Around 1 per game
13 hit outs, 10 possessions, 4 kicks, 0.3 goals... Not impressive numbers
And has been clearly beaten by his opponent head to head in the majority of his games.

I think what we hope Tom to be, and what he is.... Are not quite the same.

He's developing, but I haven't seen AFL standard ruckman potential as yet.

He is a small Ruckmen... To be that you need elite mobility or skill.... He lumbers and has average skills.....He is 18 months more advanced than Longer.... And in pure rucking terms is less effective.

Longer IMO has competed, but also been disappointing... But is very raw and will/must improve. At least he is physical

It can be hard to tell when reading text, but seriously mate, do you support the St Kilda FC or not?

I have twin allegiance, but at least I state it, but I swear reading your posts, half the time I am left wondering if you aren't a bloody Bombers supporter trolling us...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh we shouldn't have traded for hickey, or longer, or anyone. Dafuq is Pelchen doing? Doesn't he know we'd be way better off with McEvoy rucking and Kosi chopping him out?
Come on joop, he should've kept Daniel Archer for the ruck. o_O

or michael rix.

hickey is just another to the list of superstar ruckmen
Or Knobel... Or Capuano... Or the Doc.

What in the ungodly **** were we thinking back then?!

St Kilda ruckmen of the past 20yrs that Tom Hickey is better than already IMO, excluding Stanley and Longer:
Tim Allen
'Doc' Clarke
Justin Koschitzke*
Cain Ackland
Trent Knobel
Matthew Capuano
Barry Brooks
Michael Rix
Brett Cook
Adam Pattison
Chris Oliver
Wayne Thornborrow
Nick Stone
Ben McEvoy
*As a ruckman

Those he is not better than:
Peter Everitt
Lazar Vidovic
Michael Gardiner
Steven King

Considering that the second group accounts for 4 Best and Fairests, 5 All-Australian guernseys, 781 AFL games and 1 premiership, I'd say its a group not to be embarrassed about being bested by... Add to that the generally-held view that, despite the lack of Everitt, if Lazar had been playing in the '97 GF, we'd have won, and his presence is hardly a stretch either...

Last edited:
So we didn't down grade a First Round Pick to select Hickey?

Allow me to retort.

Dean Cox partnered the 2003 All Australian ruck man in that time and one of the more talented player in the game... And was clearly number two at that stage... He was also a project ruck an from the rookie list. At 204cm and over100kg he was a giant of a kid.

2004 was not the age of the stoppage either... Where ruck stats, like all stats have elevated

Toms disposal efficiency is 80% .... I'd want to be... Nearly 70% of his disposals are handballs.

He is 201cm yes... Josh Fraser was 202 both are very small Ruckmen.
Tom maybe 3cm taller than Mumford, but is absolutely monstered by him... 46 hit outs to 20.... For example in r3
The 14 Kg weight advantage perhaps having something to do with it.
Name another #1 ruckman who is under 95 kg? Maybe Ryder who is a freak athlete?

And for improvement.... Is it rare for a a developing player to improve numbers each year?
But what are his numbers like? And how has he gone head to head against opponents?

He wasn't even impressive when I watched him play VFL

IMO his biggest issue is body strength... He is a human coat rack and has none!

If he turns it around, adds some strength... And becomes a player
None will be happier than me, because it'll be unexpected and a bonus
Then we offload Longer

But at this stage, he will be traded at the end of 2015 IMO with Longer being the #1 ruckman

He is easily our most overrated player, as supporters already suggest he is quality player... Facts suggest he is an ordinary one

Starting to think you are not a fan of Hickey

Almost all the stats point to those points.

What point did I push about Hickeys trade?

Did we not down grade pick 13 to pick 24 for Tom Hickey?

Did we not have Ben McEvoy (pick 9) at the time of his trading?

Tom has played 30 games for 34 contested marks .... Not exactly Stewie Loewe really? Around 1 per game
13 hit outs, 10 possessions, 4 kicks, 0.3 goals... Not impressive numbers
And has been clearly beaten by his opponent head to head in the majority of his games.

I think what we hope Tom to be, and what he is.... Are not quite the same.

He's developing, but I haven't seen AFL standard ruckman potential as yet.

He is a small Ruckmen... To be that you need elite mobility or skill.... He lumbers and has average skills.....He is 18 months more advanced than Longer.... And in pure rucking terms is less effective.

Longer IMO has competed, but also been disappointing... But is very raw and will/must improve. At least he is physical

learn how to use the quote function or just * right off. seriously. its not hard

as for the stats can you narrow it down to his games this year before injury, otherwise you get tainted results from early in his career

Remove this Banner Ad

Back