Discussion Rare Long-sleeve Sightings

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong remains one of the few teams to supply longies to their players.
Geelong players of yesteryear to wear the longy include:

Graham “Polly” Farmer, a few occasions in 1962–67
Farmer.jpg

John “Sam” Newman, a few occasions in the 1970s
Newman.jpg

Mark “Jacko” Jackson, Round 12 1984
Jacko 1984 12.png

Corey “Boris” Enright, Round 10 2002
Enright 2002 10.jpg

Steve “Stevie J” Johnson, Round 14 2004
Stevie J 2004 14.jpg

I have also seen Gary Ablett Sr. in a longy around 1986 but could not locate the footage on YouTube. It may be in a highlights video.

:lemon:

This guernsey was only worn in this match.

Round 2 1996, North Melbourne vs. Footscray
Plain 1996 2.jpg

North Melbourne adopted polyester guernseys in 1996; Round 2 featured this eight-striped guernsey.
By their next home game, in Round 5, they resumed wearing six-striped guernseys.

The background of that photo looks like it's from a training venue rather than the MCG. Maybe this photo came from another time in the pre-season?

The background of that photo looks like it's from a training venue rather than the MCG. Maybe this photo came from another time in the pre-season?

North and Footscray didn’t play each other in the Lightning Premiership or the Ansett Cup that year so I have no idea.

It’s still probably the only time this longy was ever worn, making it a very rare longy.

Ricky Ponting in a long-sleeve Kangaroos training guernsey, 2002.
Ponting KA.jpg

A lifelong Shinboner, Punter had recently been elevated to the captaincy of the ODI squad.
I would have thought North Melbourne could have supplied him a home guernsey or an away guernsey; but no, a training guernsey.
I then assumed that it was a number 14 guernsey (his ODI shirt number) and that number 14 of the Roos only had a training guernsey with sleeves.
But no; it seems that there was no number 14 playing for the Kangaroos that year.
Odd.

Garry Lyon – Round 10 1987
Lyon 1987 10.png

David O’Keeffe in a short-sleeve – Round 14 1990 (with 10 other Bears players in longies!)
O’Keefe 1990 14.png

Leon Cameron – Round 12 1991
Cameron 1991 12.png

Doug Hawkins – Round 12 1991
Hawkins 1991 12.png

Jon Dorotich – Round 17 1991
Dorotich 1991 17.png

Tommy Alvin – Round 17 1991
Alvin 1991 17.png

Sav Rocca – Round 13 1996
Rocca 1996 13.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been a while but here is two star players who rarely wore longies in matches wearing rare (design) longies at training.

Matthew Richardson, 2002
View attachment 810508

Scott West, 2002
View attachment 810509

Richo looks good in a longy. I vaguely remember seeing him wearing a longy in a match or two. Would love to see proof I'm not mad if you have it. Or any other Richmond longy. Any longy with black sleeves really.

Do you have any idea which match holds the record for most longies worn on the day?

Love your work.

Richo looks good in a longy. I vaguely remember seeing him wearing a longy in a match or two. Would love to see proof I'm not mad if you have it. Or any other Richmond longy. Any longy with black sleeves really.

Do you have any idea which match holds the record for most longies worn on the day?

Love your work.

I can’t find any pictures on AFLPhotos of Richo in a longie during a match but there was this:
Richo yellow.jpg

As for most longies (since the early 1960s), I can’t be sure, but this had twenty:

Sunday Special!

Gale-force winds howled across Moorabbin Oval in Round 19 1981 when the Saints hosted Richmond.
Eight St Kilda players and twelve Richmond players wore longies.
133 points were scored downwind compared to only 23 against.
Paul Sarah won the match for Richmond with a goal into the wind after the siren.
View attachment 787350
The players in longies were:

St Kilda – 1 Trevor Barker, 5 Geoff Cunningham, 8 Jeff Dunne, 14 Glenn Middlemiss, 30 Rick Sutherland, 33 Robert Elphinstone, 36 Geoff Fidler, 41 Con Gorozidis
Richmond – 6 Stephen Mount, 8 Michael Roach, 11 Paul Sarah, 14 Bruce Tempany, 15 Alan Martello, 19 Greg Strachan, 20 Jim Jess, 24 Graeme Robertson, 29 Kevin Bartlett, 32 Geoff Martin, 34 Graeme Landy, 38 Phil Bottams

Cheers LB you legend.

Sunday Special!

Gale-force winds howled across Moorabbin Oval in Round 19 1981 when the Saints hosted Richmond.
Eight St Kilda players and twelve Richmond players wore longies.
133 points were scored downwind compared to only 23 against.
Paul Sarah won the match for Richmond with a goal into the wind after the siren.
View attachment 787350
The players in longies were:

St Kilda – 1 Trevor Barker, 5 Geoff Cunningham, 8 Jeff Dunne, 14 Glenn Middlemiss, 30 Rick Sutherland, 33 Robert Elphinstone, 36 Geoff Fidler, 41 Con Gorozidis
Richmond – 6 Stephen Mount, 8 Michael Roach, 11 Paul Sarah, 14 Bruce Tempany, 15 Alan Martello, 19 Greg Strachan, 20 Jim Jess, 24 Graeme Robertson, 29 Kevin Bartlett, 32 Geoff Martin, 34 Graeme Landy, 38 Phil Bottams

Must have missed this post. Looking at that photo I can only echo what headless said

Long sleeves should be mandatory.

Truer words were never spoken.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back