Remove this Banner Ad

bunsen burner

Hall of Famer
Veteran 30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 12, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Rumours was one of those rare albums where every song was quality. There were plenty of different sounds in the 70s but this one summed it up for me. Of course there's plenty of records I prefer, this one just summed up the feel. I haven't listened to it for at least 15 years.

Apart from Rumours, Rhiannon was a good track from the self titled album and before that when Pete Green was playing, "Oh Well" was pretty good.

Can't handle Stevie Nicks though. Boring umimaginative pap.

Contra Mundum

To Know Nothing is the Happiest Life
10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
Rumours was one of those rare albums where every song was quality. There were plenty of different sounds in the 70s but this one summed it up for me. Of course there's plenty of records I prefer, this one just summed up the feel. I haven't listened to it for at least 15 years.

Apart from Rumours, Rhiannon was a good track from the self titled album and before that when Pete Green was playing, "Oh Well" was pretty good.

Lindsey Buckingham - strange and unappreciated genius.

AndSmithMustScore

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
Celtic Utopia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Boston ones.

I think she's the reason i can't stand them.

Contra Mundum

To Know Nothing is the Happiest Life
10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
Rhiannon and Dreams are/were quality. Her solo stuff is terrible though. Well I wouldn't say terrible, just so MOR/adult contempory pap. I turn the station immediately if she ever comes on.

It's not so much her voice its all the witchy-poo mystical crap. I agree that Chrissie McVie was unbelievably underated BUT witchy-poos vocal performance in Sarah is phenomenal - her voice really suits that song

Agree with the solo crap - "I can't wait" is the nadir of crapness

materamagic

Premiership Player
Oct 4, 2003
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast

Pete Green FM was much better the more bluesy and prog sound, before the band turned into what alot of musicians with integrity intact dubbed "the big corporate band" Ain't a huge Stevie fan although she had a good duet hit back in 81 with.....

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pete Green FM was much better the more bluesy and prog sound, before the band turned into what alot of musicians with integrity intact dubbed "the big corporate band" Ain't a huge Stevie fan although she had a good duet hit back in 81 with.....

...........Tom Petty, with that wonderful tribute to Azaria Chamberlain, called "Stop Dragging My Jumpsuit Around"

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal palace, socceroos

Yeah i preferred the other girl too, i liked her "everywhere" song.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Rhiannon and Dreams are/were quality. Her solo stuff is terrible though. Well I wouldn't say terrible, just so MOR/adult contempory pap. I turn the station immediately if she ever comes on.

I love Stand Back. Great song.:thumbsu:

cats56

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
in a house
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Just the real FM for me, the Pete Green version,just an amazing guitarist.

The "girlie" version was mostly unlistenable AOR west coast crap, although " Go Your Own Way" is a very fine piece of pop.

Used to like Christine Perfect in "Chickenshack", the less said about Stevie Nick's the better.

mark73

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 12, 2005
Seaside
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Rumours was one of those rare albums where every song was quality.
It's odd. Providing you and I don't discuss football we seem to agree on everything else. Spot on about rumours. Reminds me a bit of Boz Scaggs' Silk Degrees album. The whole album was great. Difference being that Fleetwood Mac were able to back it up where as Boz was left with nowhere to go. But if I was to be honest I was probably more a fan of the Peter Green version.

mulhollanddrive

Premiership Player
Oct 28, 2003
home
AFL Club
Hawthorn
1. Rhiannon
2. Gypsy
3. Go your own way
4. Dreams
5. Seven wonders
6. Little lies

Not a fan of anything of FM from pre-77 or post late 80's, or any of Buckingham or Nicks solo work (in fact its terrible). But rumours through to tango is all quality.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Going on another world tour but no Lindsey Buckingham this time.

Intriguing replacements though in Neil Finn (Crowded House) and Mike Campbell (Tom Petty)

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Love Rumours, so I am a fan I guess.
Chrstine McVie wrote some absolute drivel though.
" Oh Daddy" is just very creepy, awful awful song that stops Rumours getting a 10/10 for mine.
However "Oh Daddy" is not so bad in comparison to " Sugar Daddy" on the self titled album. It is VERY VERY cringeworthy. Fascinating that two terrible tracks made it through to the albums along with all the other gold. Yet " Silver Springs" for example gets cut from Rumours. Hmmm,band politics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back