B-Sides Rate an Album: Meat Loaf's "Bat Out Of Hell"

Remove this Banner Ad

goatsby said:
cats56 said:
Too generous with the 1/10 finrod & goatsby.

0/10 is the correct rating for this piece of abhorrent garbage.

MY REVISED RATING 0 out of 10

I was far too generous in my intial marking I was rating against the benchmark of bad albums Craig Mclaughlin and Chek 1-2's "Rock the Rock" but I have to rate Meatloafs album the same. IMPOSSIBLE FOR ME TO ENJOY ANY LISTENING PLEASURE WHATSOVER

Furthermore I can even do a rough profile of Meatloaf fan

- left school at minimin age
- drinks VB or sweet pre mixed drinks
-overweight like their idol
- drive a VN VP Commodore with a McDonalds VIP sticker on the front windsreen
- wears "NO Fear" brand clothing
- greets all their friends when they walk into a busy pub friday nights as "LEGEND"

And that is without doubt the greatest post ever on BigFooty!:thumbsu:

Sounds like the only ones who disagree are simply idiotic hip hop and other rap crap fans.

Hip Hop is for losers. ;)

I hope the people who don't like this album aren't rap or hip hop fans, because that is just laughable.

Love the album, all the songs were good, apart from maybe Heaven Can Wait, don't like that much.

Favourite song: For Crying Out Loud.

Meat Loaf's a Hell Raiser
Herald Sun, 26th October 2006

MEAT Loaf and Jim Steinman, musical collaborators supreme, are the original odd couple, writes Cameron Adams.

There are stranger relationships in rock than Meat Loaf and songwriter Jim Steinman, but not many.

The pair created Bat Out of Hell in 1977, the bombastic rock classic that has sold 34 million copies.

It spent nine years on the US chart, and has gone platinum 22 times in Australia alone.

"It still friggin' sells, which is amazing," Meat Loaf, 59, says. "People have such a strong emotional connection to it. They don't buy it because it says Meat Loaf on it or songs by Jim Steinman, they couldn't really give a f---. They don't care."

However after its success, Loaf and Steinman had their first falling out. And it wouldn't be the last.

Pressure to follow up Bat forced the two men apart. Steinman wrote the album Bad For Good but after touring Bat Loaf's voice was shot.

Steinman says Meat Loaf not only couldn't sing, he didn't like the songs. The singer was also battling a nervous breakdown and drug problems.

Steinman sang them himself, making Bad For Good a solo album in 1981. Two months later came the next Meat Loaf album, Dead Ringer. Steinman wrote the songs but had no other involvement.

Then came management problems, resulting in Meat Loaf declaring himself bankrupt in 1981. Steinman and Meat Loaf also sued each other.

Regardless, Meat Loaf says Steinman sent him two songs -- Total Eclipse of the Heart and Making Love Out of Nothing At All -- for his 1983 album Midnight at the Lost and Found, an album Loaf decided to write the songs for himself.

Loaf's record company refused to pay for Steinman -- whose epic songs came with epic budgets -- and the songs were given to Bonnie Tyler and Air Supply respectively, becoming huge hits.

"My record company was anti-Jim Steinman at the time, I was anti-record company. So we were even," Meat Loaf says.

He isn't proud of Midnight, walking out on it and letting the company finish it without him.

"They used a lot of demos and songs I wrote and songs I write suck, bottom line, they're terrible," Loaf says, explaining his lack of songwriting credits.

With their relationship still dysfunctional, Loaf used two old Steinman songs for 1984's Bad Attitude, then found a new songwriter for 1986's flop Blind Before I Stop. Meat Loaf tried to work off his legal debts with constant touring through the late '80s.

In 1989 he and Steinman discussed a sequel to Bat Out of Hell, of which a song called It's All Coming Back to Me Now would be a part. Steinman had sent Meat Loaf the song three years earlier.

"I cried when I heard it," Loaf says. "That's the only time that's happened. To me it wasn't a song about romance, it was about me and Jim Steinman. We'd had a load of problems with managers in the early '80s and all of a sudden after five years we started to communicate. After I'd been to his house he sent me the song and it was 'It's all coming back to me now'. Not the 'When you kiss me like that' bit but the emotional connection. It doesn't have to be literal."

Steinman shelved It's All Coming Back to Me Now -- which Loaf wanted to record as a duet -- for Bat 2 when he wrote the duet I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That).

Bat 2 -- released in 1993 -- also saw Loaf recycle older Steinman material including Bad for Good's Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through.

It also saw Loaf return to the top of the charts, selling 15 million copies internationally.

Steinman had given It's All Coming Back to Me Now to an act, Pandora's Box, in 1989, however the song was only a minor hit. Then in 1996 Celine Dion recorded it -- turning it into a global smash.

"Celine was smart enough to know it's a brilliant song; Jim was smart enough to say 'If she wants to do I have to produce it'," Loaf says.

Fast forward to 2006 and Bat Out of Hell 3 has surfaced -- with Meat Loaf finally recording It's All Coming Back to Me Now -- but not without tensions.

Steinman planned to work on the album with Meat Loaf, then he suffered undisclosed health problems. The pair also had another legal falling out.

Meat Loaf owns the trademark "Bat Out of Hell" for everywhere outside America. Steinman felt he was the creator of the Bat brand. Cue lawsuit.

"I have the (Bat) trademark around the world except the United States," Meat Loaf says. "And the only reason I didn't is a clerical error. But it goes beyond that. That's not that big a deal. Some other issues were involved but it's fine and we're talking, that's the bottom line."

The feud got intense. Steinman reportedly refused an offer to produce Bat 3 and exercised his legal right to stop Meat Loaf using the name Bat Out of Hell, effectively robbing him of millions of sales.

Last year Meat Loaf's lawyers tried to get Steinman's Bat trademark in the US cancelled to allow him to make the new album, claiming the phrase "Bat out of Hell" had been "publicly associated" with Meat Loaf since 1977.

Steinman wasn't happy about being replaced as producer, telling CNN: "It's like Frances Coppola being fired before Godfather III and being replaced by some hack" and that using the Bat brand would be "insulting to the audience".

In July this year the pair settled out of court.

Steinman kept the American trademark and can use it in the future for possible Bat musicals and movies. It also means Steinman cannot comment on Bat 3 in "any way that is perceived to be derogatory".

Steinman used a blog to comment on Meat's versions of his old songs -- some he wasn't legally allowed to record until the court case was resolved.

Meat Loaf insists the two are still friends and merely got caught in a $100 million lawsuit.

"It was really about the managers," Meat Loaf says. "I believe his manager is the devil, he believes my manager is the devil. Managers are meant to be devils. It was about the two managers more than myself and Jim Steinman.

"Jimmy got upset about that and I can't blame him. I understand it, but there was an issue that had to get resolved and it did, in three weeks."

Meat Loaf says Steinman has since praised Bat 3.

"That was my main concern. Overall he gave it an A, and that's really all I cared about. We've known each other back and forth for 30 years. I consider him one of my best friends."

Meat Loaf is unclear about Steinman's health.

"I think he's better. I said to him, 'I don't want to do this (Bat 3) without you' but his health was an issue and it worried me. Jimmy said 'I have to go and do six months of therapy just to play the piano again'. If you know Jimmy, six months is really a year.

"I thought 'Is he physically capable of doing this?' On Bat 2 he said it almost destroyed him because it was so physically demanding -- I didn't have the five years it would have taken. As much as I didn't want to say 'I have to move on' I had to. OK, it was purely selfish reasons from my health standpoint and my age. At some point you have to put No.1 into play."

Meat Loaf met a string of replacement producers. It wasn't until he met Desmond Child, the American hitmaker who has written songs for everyone from Bon Jovi to Robbie Williams, Ricky Martin to Aerosmith, that he found his man.

"Desmond was desperate, I mean, desperate to do it. He was basically on his knees, telling me 'It's my destiny, I was born to produce Bat 3'."

Child wound up writing several tracks for the album, roping in the likes of Queen's Brian May and Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx, but Meat Loaf wasn't sure it was Bat 3 until April this year.

"The other Meat Loaf albums have always been hard but not like Bat records. I can't explain the difference, all I can say is Bat records are painful. They really hurt, mentally and physically, there's just something about them."

Steinman is working on a Bat Out of Hell musical. There's also talk of a Bat Out of Hell movie.

"If Bat 3 has even middle success it'll open the door to that movie," Meat Loaf says. "It's a good franchise, Bat Out of Hell, and Bat 3 is a really great record. It's better than great. It's spectacular."

Meat Loaf, Steinman and Desmond Child are also in talks about a new project. However Meat Loaf warns not to expect Bat Out of Hell 4.

"Not a prayer. No. No Bat 4. There's not enough time in our lives for that."

Bat Out of Hell 3 -- The Monster is Loose (Universal) out now

After listening to some of the stuff on Bat Out of Hell III, some of it is really good and some is rubbish. I do like All Coming Back To Me Now.

goatsby said:
Furthermore I can even do a rough profile of Meatloaf fan

- left school at minimin age

No, but if I had, I too might spell minimum as 'minimin'.

- drinks VB or sweet pre mixed drinks

Hmm, do JB RTDs count?

-overweight like their idol
You sound like my doctor.

- drive a VN VP Commodore with a McDonalds VIP sticker on the front windsreen
VS, no sticker.

- wears "NO Fear" brand clothing
No fear of that happening.

- greets all their friends when they walk into a busy pub friday nights as "LEGEND"
Naahhh, MAAATE.

Only partial credits but then I am only a fan of the album rather than the artist. Maybe that explains it?

Bat of Hell is killer.
I dont know what the * the utensil smack whoever he was earlier talking all the bogan s**t was on about.
Killer vocals, killer songs.
Its basically a rock album , done musical style. Wont be everyones cup of tea.
By far the most popular in Australia, out of the entire world...is an interesting fact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back