Rate our best key forwards of the last 30 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Jelly Bean

Premiership Player
Dec 12, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
A mate and I were trying to pick our best 22 and second 22 from the last 30 years (since 1990), and while most positions look strong in both sides, we struggled with our key forward roles, to the extent where our 2nd key forward in the 2nd team was a really tough one to select.

Who am I missing? (excluding medium marking forwards like De Goey and Brown who would play other roles in those teams)
1. T Cloke
2. S Rocca
3. C Tarrant
4. A Rocca

Then who? It feels like Mihocek and Starcevich are legitimately the next best, but they aren't as strong performers as all of the other positions across those two teams. Others who are well down the list would be Molloy, L Walker, Dawes, Cox, It's a pretty poor list.

A mate and I were trying to pick our best 22 and second 22 from the last 30 years (since 1990), and while most positions look strong in both sides, we struggled with our key forward roles, to the extent where our 2nd key forward in the 2nd team was a really tough one to select.

Who am I missing? (excluding medium marking forwards like De Goey and Brown who would play other roles in those teams)
1. T Cloke
2. S Rocca
3. C Tarrant
4. A Rocca

Then who? It feels like Mihocek and Starcevich are legitimately the next best, but they aren't as strong performers as all of the other positions across those two teams. Others who are well down the list would be Molloy, L Walker, Dawes, Cox, It's a pretty poor list.

Gosh that's a great question.
1990 would include Brian Taylor?
And also Peter Daicos?

Daicos was not a Key Forward
5x Collingwood leading goalkicker: 1981-1982, 1990-1992
In the 1990 season, Daicos scored 97 goals
Sorry Dave I thought the role of a key forward is to kick goals.

Also to crash packs and take contested marks

Top 4 are standouts, it's just a matter of order. For weight of goals I cannot go past Saverio Rocca at 1; Anthony Rocca and Travis Cloke's records are very similar, but I have Anthony Rocca just ahead based on his ruck work and presence in the early 2000s, Tarrant also would have taken a few off him. Tarrant lacked the longevity as a forward as such is goal tally isn't as great.

1. S. Rocca
2. A. Rocca
3. T. Cloke
4. Tarrant

The others are harder to place. Cox on his day is a match winner, but lacks consistency; Mihocek isn't the same aerial threat, but is more consistent with a much smaller gap between his best and worst; while Dawes, Anthony, Brereton, Leigh Brown all only had a good year or two.

5. Mihocek
6. Cox
7. Dawes
8. Jack Anthony
9. Leigh Brown
10. Brereton
11. Molloy

S.Rocca
T. Cloke
A.Rocca
C.Tarrant
Still continues to be our biggest weakness and has been over the past decade.
BT the best since 1980.

Top 4 are standouts, it's just a matter of order. For weight of goals I cannot go past Saverio Rocca at 1; Anthony Rocca and Travis Cloke's records are very similar, but I have Anthony Rocca just ahead based on his ruck work and presence in the early 2000s, Tarrant also would have taken a few off him. Tarrant lacked the longevity as a forward as such is goal tally isn't as great.

1. S. Rocca
2. A. Rocca
3. T. Cloke
4. Tarrant

The others are harder to place. Cox on his day is a match winner, but lacks consistency; Mihocek isn't the same aerial threat, but is more consistent with a much smaller gap between his best and worst; while Dawes, Anthony, Brereton, Leigh Brown all only had a good year or two.

5. Mihocek
6. Cox
7. Dawes
8. Jack Anthony
9. Leigh Brown
10. Brereton
11. Molloy
Sav would have been handy in 2002 and 2003.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sav would have been handy in 2002 and 2003.
Yep. I’ve always found it puzzling that we recruited Molloy and especially Cummings within a couple years of moving Saverio on. Sure there were some concerns about the Roccas playing in the same side, plus Sav’s knee, but clearly there was a list need.

Yep. I’ve always found it puzzling that we recruited Molloy and especially Cummings within a couple years of moving Saverio on. Sure there were some concerns about the Roccas playing in the same side, plus Sav’s knee, but clearly there was a list need.
I loved Sav, but he was incredibly inconsistent for us. He'd come out like a freight train and kick 50 goals in the first 8 matches. Then something would go wrong and he would be awful for 8 weeks - a liability - , before having a day out and kicking 8. I think MM just felt he couldn't be relied upon.

I thought a Key Forward was a Tall Forward.

They most likely call Daicos a General Forward now

Don't think Sav and MM got a long

Top 5?...
1) Anthony Rocca
2) Sav Rocca
3) Travis Cloke
4) Chris Tarrant
5) Lee Walker... this guy did 3 knees. Each time he returned, he’d play a pearler of a game and then he’d wreck his knee again. He would’ve been an absolute star if he didn’t have such wretched luck.

Daicos was playing 30 years ago, so he's obviously the BEST we've had in that time.
Then comes Cloke, The Rocca Bros, Didak, Starcevic, Elliot, Gavin Brown played FF for a while back in the day, It gets a bit ordinary after that....Dawes maybe?

Top 5?...
1) Anthony Rocca
2) Sav Rocca
3) Travis Cloke
4) Chris Tarrant
5) Lee Walker... this guy did 3 knees. Each time he returned, he’d play a pearler of a game and then he’d wreck his knee again. He would’ve been an absolute star if he didn’t have such wretched luck.
No wonder Walker was so clumsy with 3 knees

Remove this Banner Ad

Back