4. Curnow (12)
5. McKay (10)
6. Kemp ++bonus potential (17)
7. Cuningham (23)
8. Williamson (61)
9. Stocker (19)
10. SPS (6)
- Dow (3), Fisher (27), TDK (30), LOB (10), JSOS (53) nipping in the shadows
That’s a great 1st 10 players to commence picking a team.
FB PLOWMAN - X - X
HB MARCHBANK - Weitering - Williamson
C Walsh - Kemp/CRIPPS - Sam PS
R X - Setterfield - Stocker
HF Cuningham - McKay - MARTIN
FF MCGOVERN - Curnow - X (PAPLEY)

PS - Marchbank is not included...but added in the next senior bodies (‘96-94) to the above team for Marchbank (6), Goddard (24), Pittonet (50), Martin (#1), Cripps (13), Gibbons (SPP), Lang (16), Plowman (3), McGovern (43)
**Papley type would make a perfect addition

Last edited:

Good thread.

This is very tough to do, and it shows just how deep we will bat in a few years should we manage to keep this group together.

You can make an argument for just about all of these guys to become elite at AFL level; of course not all will, but the talent is certainly there.

1. Jacob Weitering

2. Sam Walsh

3. Harry McKay

4. Will Setterfield

5. Charlie Curnow

6. Paddy Dow

7. Sam Petrevski-Seton

8. Zac Fisher

9. David Cuningham

10. Tom Williamson

1.Weitering.
Has completed his apprenticeship and will own the opposition’s best for a decade.

2.Walsh.
All day ... every day ... unconditionally elite in all facets.

3.Curnow.
Genuine superstar attributes, could/should be number 1 but no good sitting in the grandstand.

4.McKay.
Incredible package, relief rucking when ready will only further enhance his game and value.

5.Setterfield.
Size ... skill ... smarts
Just has the aura of the elite about him.

6.Stocker.
Reminds me of Jordan Lewis and every team featuring in September needs one of this type.
Skilled, tough and willing and able to do what is required whenever required.

7.SPS.
See’s the game as very few others do.
Skilled tough composed and aware, will be the architect of attack from defence.

8.Dow.
Has the tools that seperate the best from the rest.
An appetite for the contest and the explosion from the contest.
September player.

9.DeKonning.
Taking this a little on trust but shapes as an extremely important cog in the machine going forward.
An aggressive talented ruckman who can go forward is vital.

10.Kemp.
Taking this totally on trust of course.
Size strength skill speed swagger ...
Could be the best of the lot !!

6.Stocker.
Reminds me of Jordan Lewis
and every team featuring in September needs one of this type.
Skilled, tough and willing and able to do what is required whenever required.

Great comparison!
I was originally thinking Stocker plays somewhat similar to Jack Ziebell but the Jordan Lewis comparison suits him much better.

Good thread.

This is very tough to do, and it shows just how deep we will bat in a few years should we manage to keep this group together.

You can make an argument for just about all of these guys to become elite at AFL level; of course not all will, but the talent is certainly there.

1. Jacob Weitering

2. Sam Walsh

3. Harry McKay

4. Will Setterfield

5. Charlie Curnow

6. Paddy Dow

7. Sam Petrevski-Seton

8. Zac Fisher

9. David Cuningham

10. Tom Williamson

Be interesting reviewing as the year goes on, hopefully will see some surprises in the general consensus and by years end, would love to see a Setterfield Dow Lob or Cuningham type make a push to the top end of the rankings.

Be interesting reviewing as the year goes on, hopefully will see some surprises in the general consensus and by years end, would love to see a Setterfield Dow Lob or Cuningham type make a push to the top end of the rankings.

I am sure these rankings will change as the year progresses.

We're talking about guys who are no older than 22, and are still very much kids, despite most already being permanent fixtures in our best side. Not all of them will bring the consistency required - some will have strong years, others may simply perform in patches, some may even regress.

No doubt there will be some surprises along the way.

Anyone without the name Walsh at no. 1 does not football

I almost had Jacob at #1. He was essentially my 1B.

Both will be the linchpins to our next premiership. Carry us through the harder games and often without the "OMG did you see that" highlights.

Walsh's highlights will be in the off the charts IQ things that he does -- like the absolute best mids (Selwood, Mitchell, before that Diesel, etc.) while Jacob will drive a defensive team that make opposition forwards work for everything.

Most importantly, both are the quintessential champions who will make their teammates almost impossibly better.

Absolutely no disrespect to Cripps when I talk these guys up -- we've already seen what Patty will provide as a premiership captain only he hasn't had the stage to demonstrate it yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back