Prediction Rate our top 10 young talents

Remove this Banner Ad

Old navy

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2014
Eastern Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Thought this could be fun, rate our top 10 young talents, from the 2015 draft on wards.

1. Harry McKay
I love this kid, almost ashamed to admit I was disappointed we drafted him back in 2015.
He is a beast 203cm key positions forward, with pace, skill, great contested mark, great below his knees, we’ve seen some absolutely elite glimpses like those long runs he goes on, that a player 203cm has no right to be doing, that crumb and snap shot from 50m, he reminds me of buddy, could see him being the best key forward in game in the future.

2. Charlie Curnow
Think he has the most raw talent on our list, when his injury free, inform and in full flight like in that Collingwood game, he looks unstoppable.
Has a huge tank, X factor off the charts, great over head mark and he’s kicking can be elite, he get so much penatration with his field kicking, ball rockets through the air, think in a few years he will be used to pinch hit through the midfield too, will be a match up nightmare.
Injuries are the only thing that could stop him

3. Sam Walsh
Kid is a freak, a running machine and alot of his best work doesn’t really show up on the stat sheet, but running to contest after contest can be super valuable if it’s done with a good footy IQ which Sam has in spades, he’s going to become a Josh Kelly type inside/outside mid, think he is still a fair way off the finished product and being such a pro we will get improvement from him every year.

4. SPS
Absolutely elite ball user, skillful evasive, has some jaw dropping moves, we saw in the doggies game last year what he’s capable of as a mid, and I’ll never forget how he ripped the Collingwood midfield to pieces in the wet, in just his 5th game on he’s way to 3 Brownlow votes, I think he is a midfielder long term, but I think playing off half will be good for his development.

5. Jacob Weitering
He is tracking to be one of the best defenders in the competition, reads the play beautifully and has really improved his lock down game, has a cannon for a leg which we haven’t seen the best of yet, think he will be pushing for AA honours sooner then we think.

6. David Cuningham
Has a very rare combo of attributes, explosive speed, great hands which allow him to burst out of a stoppage, also has a real knack of kicking goals, gets great tackle numbers, I could watch that crumb and goal at the top of the goal square vs hawthorn all day long and be a happy man.
Hope he can stay on the park and have a breakout year, has some what gone under the radar, but most Carlton supporters know he is going to be a serious player.

7. Will Setterfiled
Could be number one in a few years time, massive talent, only need to watch the Adelaide game to see how much talent he has, love that he seems to have a close to 2 kicks to 1 handball ratio, that’s very rare for a 190cm midfielder, such a smooth mover to could be Pendlebury 2.0

8. Paddy Dow
He not far off, you can see he just isn’t quite strong enough to break the tackles just yet, but when he is look out, love watching him hit the jets and run into goal, has kicked some ripper goals already, also is a hoover on the loose ground balls, another who isn’t the finished product yet, but look out when he is.

9. Zac Fisher
Very complete young player, only small but plays big, good pace, good disposal and really cracks in every week, reminds me a lot of Lauchie Neale

10. Lob
Left leg is a weapon, he can run all day, I just want to see him use these weapons on game day more often, think as we get better as a team LoB will improve much quicker, we need to get him the footy in space so he can use that run and lazer leg.

Last edited:

1. Charlie Curnow
2. Sam Walsh
3. Jacob Weitering
4. Harry McKay
5. Will Setterfield
6. Paddy Dow
7. Tom Williamson
8. Zac Fisher
9. Sam Petrevski-Seton
10.Liam Stocker

Any Club would kill for that list of ten 19-22yo's.

And we still have J.Silvagni, DeKonning, O'Brien, Cuningham, Kemp, B.Silvagni, Philp and The Flying F***ing Finbar.

1. Sam Walsh

2. Jacob Weitering

3. Harry McKay

4. Tom De Koning

5. Charlie Curnow

6. Paddy Dow

7. Will Setterfield

8. Lochie O'Brien

9. Caleb Marchbank

10. Sam Petrevski-Seton

I'd be delightfully surprised if Charlie can completely overcome the knee setbacks to become the player he could have been. He could have been #1 by a street. I still think he'll have a good career just not as good as it could have been.

I don't think Jacob will ever truly get the respect he deserves. Both he and Sammy Walsh are going to be the types who carry this team to a premiership but won't be as flashy as what the "hero players" will be.

I just have a gut feeling that TDK will be a breakout AA candidate ruckman for a decade. I might be overrating him compared to others on the list but look out.

Marchy deserves a spot on this list. There was a play that he made in the Collingwood match last year that made me sit up and think about the champion defenders of the past like SOS and Glen Jakovich. Absolutely heart stopping play. If he can get his body right when we're a contender he'll make being placed ninth on this list look silly. Yes, I know Caleb was in the 2014 draft but as we got him after the 2016 season I've counted him here.

23 year olds and under, only.

1. Walsh - Will drive himself to get better by the year. He has a Cripps-like mentality.
2. CCurnow - Maybe the biggest talent, but keeping him on the park is the trick.
3. Setterfield - I really rate him and probably still should have Weitering here, but he's a mid...
4. Weitering - A consumate professional
5. McKay - Could be anything but will he be?
6. Petrevski-Seton - Reckon his time is now. A sublime footballer when he really gets going.
7. Dow - Such high hopes but will lack of opportunity get in the way? He'll make it and he'll make it good.
8. Fisher - Has the ability to yet be more impactful than a couple ahead of him here.
9. Kemp - Unseen for now but has all the tools to become an important piece of our puzzle.
10. De Koning - Things are aligning for Tom and opporunity when it comes about, will be a wonderful thing.

11. Williamson 12. Stocker 13. Marchbank 14. Cuningham. 15. JSilvagni 16. O'Brien 17. Cottrell

All these guys can make it. Just can't include Philp or Honey here just yet, not Finbar & BSilvagni.
Very annoyed I can't have Macreadie in the top ten as that's where I saw his progress developing....but injuries and VFL are killers.
Not buoyed on Kennedy any more and can see him looking at getting onto the Essendon list at years end.

EDIT: Damn....I forgot so many. Have to fix.

Last edited:
1. Walsh- Best first year on record
2. Weitering- AA level CHB at 22
3. Curnow- Kicked 7 goals in his last full game
4. McKay- Leading goal kicker, so much potential
5. Cuningham- Break-out year last year. Will take the comp by storm this year
6. Dow- Dangerfield-lite just give the kid a chance to develop
7. Marchbank- Will take our backline to another level
8. SPS- very consistent and reliable
9. Kemp- I’m hoping for Cripps x2 in a few years
10. Stocker- Can see him becoming a leader at our club with a 10 plus year career.

Unlucky: Setterfield, LOB, TDK, Fisher, JSOS, Williamson

1. Walsh- Best first year on record
2. Weitering- AA level CHB at 22
3. Curnow- Kicked 7 goals in his last full game
4. McKay- Leading goal kicker, so much potential
5. Cuningham- Break-out year last year. Will take the comp by storm this year
6. Dow- Dangerfield-lite just give the kid a chance to develop
7. Marchbank- Will take our backline to another level
8. SPS- very consistent and reliable
9. Kemp- I’m hoping for Cripps x2 in a few years
10. Stocker- Can see him becoming a leader at our club with a 10 plus year career.

Unlucky: Setterfield, LOB, TDK, Fisher, JSOS, Williamson
I'll make a prediction and say the Stocker and Walsh will be co-captains in the future

1. Weitering
2. Walsh
3. Curnow
4. McKay
5. Setterfield
6. SPS
7. Lob
8. Dow
9.Marchbank
10. Cuningham

Probably have Weitering as number one purely on importance. Cunningham could easily rocket up the list and should have him higher based on talent, Fisher unlucky

Purely based on talent alone and nothing else

1. Curnow
2. Walsh
3. Mckay
4. Weitering
5. Setterfield
6. Cuningham
7. Dow
8. SPS
9. Lob
10. Fisher

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The kids that have been just recruited i haven't included..

1. Charlie Curnow- incredible talent a match winner who can tear a game apart, knee is a slight concern...
2. Jacob Weitering- will be the key defender of his generation, smart skilled calm under pressure, a rock...Captain?
3. Sam Walsh- a absolute freak athlete, strong quick elite inside & outside , footy IQ off the charts... Captain?
4. Harry McKay- at 204cm possess rare tatents of speed and athleticism rarely seen, his full package very exciting..
5. Paddy Dow- wait til the kid takes off, instinctive explosive hard evaisive inside/outside midfielder, serious talent...
6. Will Setterfield- extremely good ball winner can play multiple positions, hard as elite tackler, class act...
7. Zac Fisher- quick and evasive highly skilled has great awareness and exceptional in traffic, hands are elite...
8. Tom Williamson- tough smooth moving def/wing who takes the game on, left peg a weapon, lock for a wing..
9. Samo Petrvski-S- Class act super-skilled poised and tough that slices through traffic,due too depth play duel roles..
10. David Cuningham- Super quick strong one touch player who can be an extremely good mid/fwd, continuity...

11. C. Marchbank
12. L. O'Brien
13. L. Stocker
14. T. DeKoning
15. J.Silvagni
16. J. Kennedy
17. M. Gibbons
18. H. Macreadie
19. B. Silvagni
20. M.Cottrell

Old navy - great thread idea.

Rating players on likelihood they are week in week out A grade players because their bodies are up to it:

1. Weitering - needs to start to add some nassty into his game
2. Walsh - best recruit since Cripps/Docherty and before them Murphy/Kreuzer
3. Harry - I have huge hopes for this bloke to develop some genuine mongrel which he will need if he is to become a match winner.

a class below

4. SPS - has to impact much more gone backwards last year - to HBF
5. Fisher
6. Setterfield
7. Jack
8. LoB - needs size and confidence to take game on with his kicking
9. Dow - needs to add size and learn how to tackle

Players I rate alongside top3 - but think are unreliable physically are:

Charlie | Cuningham | Williamson | Marchbank: all of whom are better than players ranked 4-9 and Charlie could be anything if by some miracle he comes back.

Players who are likely to make it as genuine game changers are:

Stocker | Kemp | TDK- Kemp could be a top4 player at the Club and superstar.

So fifth year players on.
I won’t go off potential because I think is skews it in favour of some guys who may not even make the level. Eg Dow and Kemp I would have them right near the top on potential but would prefer heaps of players over them. I’ll just put them in order as how I would choose them if they were all lined up on the wall.

1 Walsh
2 Weitering
clear top two for me

3 Curnow
standout 3 for me

4 McKay
5 Setterfield
These guys don’t have many runs on the board but are a level above the rest imo

6 SPS
7 Fisher
Two guys who have some runs on the board but I think they are a level below the top end talents

8 Dow
9 Kemp
10 LOB
next best talents imo but also wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t come on.

Stocker and Cuningham I’m really big on too.

Talk about an embarrassment of riches...

Just to get a gauge on our players taken from the 2015 draft on wards, basically from when SOS takes the reines.
Brisbane and GCS are the only two teams that even come close to having the kind of talent we’ve assembled in that time frame, but our list bats much deeper, our top 10 easliy has another half dozen names, that have legit cases to be in our top 10.

Brisbane.
1. Andrews
2. Mccluggage
3. Hipwood
4. Rayner
5. Berry
6. Witherden
7. Bailey
8. AhCee
9. Smith
10. Cox

GCS