Review Rate our trade week, 2019

How do you rate our trade period? 10 = highest, 1 = lowest

• 1 - We destroyed our club and consigned ourselves to a Carlton level of mediocrity

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.2%

Votes: 12 14.3%

Votes: 9 10.7%

Votes: 28 33.3%

Votes: 19 22.6%

Votes: 10 11.9%

Votes: 2 2.4%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 - We couldn't conceivably do better

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
So this is what happened:

GOT Darcy Cameron and Pick 62 - GAVE AWAY Pick 56

GOT a future second-round pick and a future fourth-round pick - GAVE AWAY James Aish, Pick 69 and a future third-round pick

Summary:
  • Gained ruck/key forward depth with Darcy Cameron joining.
  • Lost a bottom 4 best 22 player and small defender with James Aish leaving.
  • Improved our 2020 draft position with a 2nd round pick.
  • Shed salary which could be used on player retention OR to attract future trade targets.
How do you rate our trade period?

Poll added.

So this is what happened:

GOT Darcy Cameron and Pick 62 - GAVE AWAY Pick 56

GOT a future second-round pick and a future fourth-round pick - GAVE AWAY James Aish, Pick 69 and a future third-round pick

Summary:
  • Gained ruck/key forward depth with Darcy Cameron joining.
  • Lost a bottom 4 best 22 player and small defender with James Aish leaving.
  • Improved our 2020 draft position with a 2nd round pick.
  • Shed salary which could be used on player retention OR to attract future trade targets.
How do you rate our trade period?

Poll added.
While I know trade week has finished, it's different kettle of fish compared to last year & this year, with the picks that can be traded.

Surely we have to include overall list/position after the NAB draft.

I'd be surprised if we don't have a plan involving next years first.

On face value you'd think we did poorly. We lost a best 22 small defender and only gained some tall depth.

However I think we have positioned ourselves cleverly to retain our best players and also to be proactive next year chasing a big fish. We should be able to keep Grundy, De Goey and Moore now. I also think we will have room to chase someone with some other decisions next year, for example I think Pendlebury will be on a smaller contract and Mayne off the books or much much smaller contract.

Aish is a loss, despite polarising fans he was a solid player, however he is replaceable within the list with Noble, Quaynor and Appleby fighting it out for that role and Greenwood to come back at some point.

Considering all this I think it's not the ins and outs on face value we judge this on, rather what it may allow us to do in the future.

My one regret is not chasing some of the cheaper value players. Bonar and Butler in particular could have added to our mix, but perhaps we were being cautious regarding salaries. They'd only work on minimum bickies given our broader list strategy this year.

Last edited:
While I know trade week has finished, it's different kettle of fish compared to last year & this year, with the picks that can be traded.

Good point. It'll be interesting to see how it evolves.

I agree. I think we'll be shipping it off for sure, content in our round 2 points as enough to snare McInnes.

Now whether we pull the trigger on a trade soon, or on draft night, I'm not sure. Preferably soon I think, rather than evaluating live selection options on draft night and most likely having to pay a premium to move back into the draft then.

As for the trade period so far, not too bad I think. Not rogered on the Cameron deal, and given the circumstances the Aish deal wasn't too bad either. 7 from me

As for the trade period so far, not too bad I think. Not rogered on the Cameron deal, and given the circumstances the Aish deal wasn't too bad either. 7 from me

It's good to see no wtf deals this year. We've had a habit of over paying.

A solid C for me. Or a 5/10

Aish is best 22 but replaceable.

Was expecting us to try to move out. A few more around the edge of the 22. But. Not stressed that we didn’t.

Basically we’re going into next year with a very similar team. Will improv,ent outstrip decline? Will we be good enough to challenge? I have my doubts but am hoping.

Our weaknesses are still there: lack of a grade key forward. Lack of a bit of place in the midfield.

After Jamie signed our hands were completely tied so I'd say retaining Elliott, freeing up cap space for Grundy and co, gaining picks and points for Reef McInnes next year while snaffling a mobile tall was literally about the best we could have pulled off for the minimal loss of Aish

A solid C for me. Or a 5/10

Aish is best 22 but replaceable.

Was expecting us to try to move out. A few more around the edge of the 22. But. Not stressed that we didn’t.

Basically we’re going into next year with a very similar team. Will improv,ent outstrip decline? Will we be good enough to challenge? I have my doubts but am hoping.

Our weaknesses are still there: lack of a grade key forward. Lack of a bit of place in the midfield.

It'll be interesting to see who we draft now. I expect a few state leaguers like Riccardi who could improve weaknesses. I wonder if there is anyone with speed we're interested in.

It's also interesting, in losing Aish, we'll be encouraged to play Quaynor and Noble more often which should improve our overall leg speed.

Need to see what Cameron can do, but the Aish trade was okay at best... Can't see how anyone could rate it over a 5... Shedding salary cap is not exactly a hard thing to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6/10 for me - just a bit over par.
We didn't particularly improve our list, but I think long-term the Aish trade will be addition by subtraction. As a player he is easily replaceable, and I am a big proponent that we need to stop playing midfielders in defense and actually develop some of our young defenders. (Hopefully this allows more game time for either IQ, Murphy or Appleby in our back 6). St Kilda's pick next year should also be in the mid-20's, and it will be good to actually have some reasonable draft picks to use, and better than losing him as a free agent in 12 months if we can't match his salary demands. It also takes one more above average contract out of the equation for next year.
Keeping Elliot is an ok move for me. If the reports of 450k x 2 yrs is true, then its a good contract for what he provides, and he's probably more useful than the compo pick we could've got in return.
And Darcy Cameron is very meh. I don't expect anything from him, but even getting a depth guy in a position of need is worth the drop from pick 56 to 62.
---

Really though, it's hard to separate this year from the sins of 12 months ago, when we overplayed our hand thinking all we needed was a top-up to win the flag, and didn't really have a plan B after Lynch to fill our obvious gaps.

Robbo gave Essendon a vote and all they did was recruit Cutler.

Yet last year when we did nothing other than retention and Roughead, I'm fairly sure we were getting D's...

Funny that, isn't it. Essendoom pinch a Slobbo vote while no mention of West Coast who snagged the best player available

Hard to say

What were our objectives?
Did we achieve them?

Did we improve....now?....future?
1. Glaring team needs is a key position forward.
2. No.
3. No and TBD. We lost Aish will make us weaker now. As for the future, it depends on the 2020 draft. The 2019 draft is already compromised with the Beams trade and losing our 1st rounder.

Held the line.

Brought in no A grade talent.
None seemed particularly available.

Retained A grade talent in Eliiott.

Retained medium talented but elite runner in Phillips. We

Didn’t succumb to bringing in aged medium talent - we didn’t engage with those older ok types that are fillers.
We have enough of our own older depth types.

A bit player as back up for the ruck was fine, cheap, basic play to fill back up.

Bottom line we moved on one player, medium talent, nice guy, but overall I’d peg him outside guaranteed best 22.

Rating: held the line so a par or so, 6/10 if pushed for a specific rating number. Keeping Elliott is the big tick for me. He’s a difference maker.

Par.

If we get a good talent in the draft we’ll look back on this and think, yes a birdie.

But a par as it stands.

Robbo gave Essendon a vote and all they did was recruit Cutler.

Yet last year when we did nothing other than retention and Roughead, I'm fairly sure we were getting D's...

Media writes to their bias.

Run their own narratives.

Meh.

10/10. We will get a first round pick on draft night.

Now that Ned has made it possible for our cap to be at 95% it will be much easier to lane Cameron when we can go to 105% the following year.

I don’t buy this cap squeeze business. We opened up space this year, and we’ll open up even more next year. Moore, Degoey, Brodie and Cameron is plenty to work with.

Hard to say

What were our objectives?
Did we achieve them?

Did we improve....now?....future?
In a sense that’s correct.

Did we achieve our objectives?
I’d say likely we did.

Next season if Beams plays well, as I expect he will, it feeds to this trade period as we essentially gave this year’s 16 for him.

Lots to play out.

Back