Review Rate our trade week, 2019

How do you rate our trade period? 10 = highest, 1 = lowest

• 1 - We destroyed our club and consigned ourselves to a Carlton level of mediocrity

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.2%

Votes: 12 14.3%

Votes: 9 10.7%

Votes: 28 33.3%

Votes: 19 22.6%

Votes: 10 11.9%

Votes: 2 2.4%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 - We couldn't conceivably do better

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters

peter9789

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
We didn't bring in any high priced list cloggers or exchange our 1st round draft picks so that's a win even before we start to analyse the trade of Aish, and Darcy Cameron

Overall I thought it was a pretty solid result given the supposed cap limitations and draft assets we had to play with. Moving Aish on was sound given we have plenty of depth coming through. Would've preferred to move on Cox as initially flagged.

The real test lies ahead by signing DeGoey, Moore and Grundy.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Trade period is like selling/ buying used cars. It doesn’t matter what they were bought for new.
Cox is an ol’ gas guzzlin’ Chevy that’s not very practical for the daily commute and Shaz has been at the panel shop one too many times.

Very apt description! I will be frank although I’ve never rated him and understand why there was no interest I did think he’d be one, like Phillips, that would attract a passing interest. His contract must be to inhibiting!

Perhaps converting to gas (becoming a pure ruckman) is a way to get value out of him this time next year? Because he’d be the number 1 ruck at a number of clubs. Otherwise we just have to hope that with a good run at it through injury he bridges the gap between average (most weeks) and god awful (v Hawthorn, GWS and Carlton).

While I know trade week has finished, it's different kettle of fish compared to last year & this year, with the picks that can be traded.

Surely we have to include overall list/position after the NAB draft.

I'd be surprised if we don't have a plan involving next years first.
You really need to look at what we needed and who was available....
Apart from Hill the vast majority of players were MEH!
Nice that we picked up a backup for Grundy, but only if it means we definitely keep him (Grundy that is)
Would have been nice to grab an AA back , but the shelves were bare.
The whole trade weeks was a total bore I thought.

Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
I don't think there is anything really to rate.

Ultimately we came out of the trade period holding the side together except for Aish, (importantly signing Elliott) and landed Cameron who we were targeting for a relatively cheap deal.

So it's not a loss or a fail. But we were clearly not in a position to attack the period with any more aggression.

Perhaps we could have been more attacking, which would have meant either maybe taking the punt on trading Grundy for a mega deal...which in turn we could have made a god-father offer to Jeremy Cameron or someone like that. Or a more conservative plan being to be a bit more forceful in getting a few guys like Phillips, Scharenberg, Mayne and Wills out the door to clear up enough cap-space to get a Josh Bruce or Alex Keath.

But I personally am glad we kept it conservative. I don't think the list needs an overhaul just yet. Prefer to keep what we've got and try and get the injury list corrected. Also, we can hope for some internal improvement from Sier, Tyler Brown, IQ and Noble...as well as a full season from Stephenson and De Goey. Also excited to see the Irish lads after another pre-season and also Tom Wilson after a full pre-season which will also be his first.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Was Cox really shopped around? I'm not convinced that he was.

I do accept that Essendon asked about him though (and we may have shown some interest).

It’s doubtful. We rate him way too highly to have shopped him. From my perspective I thought there’d be more of the Tom Phillips “is he moveable?” enquires because managers are dumb.

Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
You really need to look at what we needed and who was available....
Apart from Hill the vast majority of players were MEH!
Nice that we picked up a backup for Grundy, but only if it means we definitely keep him (Grundy that is)
Would have been nice to grab an AA back , but the shelves were bare.
The whole trade weeks was a total bore I thought.

The only 2 big fish on the table were Kelly (who had one team he wanted and one only) or Brad Hill (who was getting offered $900K to play at St.Kilda next to a good mate Paddy Ryder). So there wasn't much on offer. I would've liked to have been in the market for Josh Bruce. I reckon he would be a nice fit...but there was a fair salary there to buy out so we weren't in any position unless we off-loaded more players.

I think you are right. It's probably not a bad year to be inactive because there wasn't a lot on offer and it was overall a fizzer of a trade period. When we are celebrating a team who has picked up Dan Butler, Zac Jones, an injury riddled Paddy Ryder and a CHB who was omitted from the last month of footy at a bottom 8 side, then it indicates there weren't many other deals of particular note.

But I personally am glad we kept it conservative. I don't think the list needs an overhaul just yet. Prefer to keep what we've got and try and get the injury list corrected. Also, we can hope for some internal improvement from Sier, Tyler Brown, IQ and Noble...as well as a full season from Stephenson and De Goey. Also excited to see the Irish lads after another pre-season and also Tom Wilson after a full pre-season which will also be his first.

This.

I think we came out of the trade period on the right side of neutral. Just. 6/10.

But recently we’ve also added Wilson and Noble. And for the first time in years I’m really excited about the number of guys waiting in the wings - or with minimal senior experience - in addition to those two, such as IQ, Murphy, Kelly, Keane and even Atu. If you think about what’s coming through we are far from treading water. Our best 22 by mid-2020 could surprise.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
This.

I think we came out of the trade period on the right side of neutral. Just. 6/10.

But recently we’ve also added Wilson and Noble. And for the first time in years I’m really excited about the number of guys waiting in the wings - or with minimal senior experience - in addition to those two, such as IQ, Murphy, Kelly, Keane and even Atu. If you think about what’s coming through we are far from treading water. Our best 22 by mid-2020 could surprise us.
I think thats an incredibly optimistic way to look at it.

I do hope you're right, though.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
This.

But recently we’ve also added Wilson and Noble. And for the first time in years I’m really excited about the number of guys waiting in the wings - or with minimal senior experience - in addition to those two, such as IQ, Murphy, Kelly, Keane and even Atu. If you think about what’s coming through we are far from treading water. Our best 22 by mid-2020 could surprise.
The optimist would be thinking surely Mr Bear returns to his better form after an interrupted fill in season.
The optimist will be looking for the step up of Tyler Brown and his brother Callum to solidify his place.

Noble, Quaynor look very nice types.

But the real deal for the optimist is the player who (might/hopefully/does) breaks out in Murphy.
Just looks all over a footballer.

The crazy brave will await the potential of Wilson and who knows about the Irish boys.

The pessimists will spend the whole year lamenting the tail ends of careers left for Reid, Varcoe, and the inevitable injured players.

The players, the squad we have are thereabouts, just need to put it all together with fitness and continuity.

I have light fingers crossed.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
I think thats an incredibly optimistic way to look at it.

I do hope you're right, though.

Ditto, but it’s the worst our list has looked from a development perspective this century, IMO. IQ is the only top 30 pick on our list not currently inside our best 22.

I do accept that Essendon asked about him though (and we may have shown some interest).

Don't Think so as we would of Traded him to Essendon IF he was.

They wanted him but we did not want trade him

Ditto, but it’s the worst our list has looked from a development perspective this century, IMO. IQ is the only top 30 pick on our list not currently inside our best 22.
One suspects the club would have been happy to take Murphy in the top 30, and Kelly was pick 29.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I’d give us a solid 7.5

Traded from a position of surplus with Aish, gained a second rounder (which we normally throw away like candy at Halloween) and off loaded some cap pressure.

Picked up Darcy Cameron in an area of need on the cheap both in terms of trade value and (presumably) cap.

Would have gained a better score by dealing Scharenberg or Cox but no boneheaded decisions made is a good start.

6/10 given the cards we were dealt. It was a small win. IMO, we were a deal on Shaz or Cox from nailing it. The lack of interest in both was entirely understandable...

I suspect we just know we have time on our hands. This year or next it doesn't matter much to us. Which for this trade period gave us the luxury to wait and see if something decent came along. We won't get that next year though.

I'm happy to see Shaz go around another year for us. Any time we've had an injury to a medium defender or key position player he's been a plug and play. He's been huge in us riding out injuries last year. However I think we'll likely need to offload him next year if he doesn't want to pay for the minimum for our broader list goals/player retention.

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wilson too in his draft year would likely have been top 30 (stretching it).
I think he was touted first round.
So was considered of talent.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Nope, nothing there..

I am using Tapatalk on iPhone though. That could be why I’m unable to view it.

If you're real keen just open up a web version. Should be there.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
One suspects the club would have been happy to take Murphy in the top 30, and Kelly was pick 29.

Cheers. It’s easy to overlook Kelly because he missed so much footy in 2019! You’re spot on with Murphy I’d just personally be surprised if there were many guys taken in the ND that were outside the top 30 of a clubs draft board so I’m a little less inclined to view it that way.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why we didn’t go for Casboult I will never understand. Was the best gettable option for us.
Will be 30 next season.

Output a tick over 1 goal per game.

Not exactly mr reliable set shot (though at times he’s been quite good, didn’t Sav Rocca help him out.)

We have enough of our own home grown talent for kicking behinds.

Not exactly blessed with development as being at Carlton in their wonderful hopeless years.

Can’t recall an always healthy player, but could be wrong about that.

A pass from me.

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Will be 30 next season.

Output a tick over 1 goal per game.

Not exactly mr reliable set shot (though at times he’s been quite good, didn’t Sav Rocca help him out.)

We have enough of our own home grown talent for kicking behinds.

Not exactly blessed with development as being at Carlton in their wonderful hopeless years.

Can’t recall an always healthy player, but could be wrong about that.

A pass from me.
A contested and athletic beast is what I like about him. Kicking has improved, thanks to Rocca, and can help in the ruck.

You are right about age and injury though

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
A contested and athletic beast is what I like about him. Kicking has improved, thanks to Rocca, and can help in the ruck.

You are right about age and injury though

If we wanted Casboult, we would've just gone for Jenkins for very little - only a year older and a much better footy player. I am glad we didn't get either. It is tempting to look at our results in 18/19 and think we just need a top-up player or 2 to win the flag (and maybe that could've been the difference in '18), but in reality I think we are better off finding guys who fit the age profile of the core of our list, even if it means taking a (cheap) gamble on some younger, under-performing, guys, or trying to find someone in the draft.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Not sure if he was or wasn't but I got the impression he had little interest in moving so it becomes a moot point.

Back