Review Rate our trade week, 2019

How do you rate our trade period? 10 = highest, 1 = lowest

• 1 - We destroyed our club and consigned ourselves to a Carlton level of mediocrity

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.2%

Votes: 12 14.3%

Votes: 9 10.7%

Votes: 28 33.3%

Votes: 19 22.6%

Votes: 10 11.9%

Votes: 2 2.4%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 - We couldn't conceivably do better

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Felt underwhelming but in saying that it was sensible and strategic.

Our biggest inclusions for 2020 are hopefully going to be players returning from LTI’s like Langdon and Beams rather than a player who we’ve brought in through trade.

Extremely average trade period.
Do you realise we have close to 21 players that are up for contract renewal at the end of 2020 ?
This includes senior player as well as VFL players ....i saw this posted on Nicks.
Is this a good thing or bad thing ?
Good in the sense that we can pick and choose who to retain and clear the deadwood end of next year ?
Or bad in the sense,that we won't be able to keep this current group together ?

Your thoughts ?

Extremely average trade period.
Do you realise we have close to 21 players that are up for contract renewal at the end of 2020 ?
This includes senior player as well as VFL players ....i saw this posted on Nicks.
Is this a good thing or bad thing ?
Good in the sense that we can pick and choose who to retain and clear the deadwood end of next year ?
Or bad in the sense,that we won't be able to keep this current group together ?

Your thoughts ?
I think this thread is about rating our trade week, I think the clue is in the title

It needs to be put in context, I think we have the talent on the list for a big push next year with a few improvements from some of the younger talent. On paper it looks meh, but the retentions of Grundy, Moore, JDG and Stephenson are absolute musts next year.

With the only loss being Aish, I would prefer he stays but it is what it is. Elliott staying was great news and a win.

Add Langdon and Beams fit and healthy next year, we are in better shape. Don’t count out Shaz 2nd year back after his knee, I am very bullish on him. Some talent in Murphy, Brown 2, IQ and Daicos. Kelly might surprise too.

We didn't use two first rounders on a 30 year old this year, so we are trending upwards at least!
Some good footy left in him yet, mind you I said that about Wells and whilst we did see it against Sydney for a half the rest well known. Old guys are a risk but look at Hodge, he helped turn a mess of a Club to a strong contender.

Some good footy left in him yet, mind you I said that about Wells and whilst we did see it against Sydney for a half the rest well known. Old guys are a risk but look at Hodge, he helped turn a mess of a Club to a strong contender.

Luke Hodge was a 3 time premiership captain. Beams was captain of the mess he turned into a contender...

Just saw Buckenara's assessment in the HUN.
God he hates us.

Check out---Adelaide 8/10....Carlton 7.5/10....Collingwood 6.
He's having a laugh.

Adelaide are paying players to play elsewhere next year and gained little in return for their services----8/10.
Carlton brought in a player who will be 34 by seasons end and failed to execute deals for Papley and Martin--yet this yields a 7.5.
Collingwood by its own admission were always going to be quiet, brought in cheap ruck depth (not to play in the same team as Cox and Grundy at the same time, cleared out James Aish to start preparations for our big 2020 salary cap whilst improving our 2020 draft hand to a degree and this yields a lesser value than the above clubs?

GTFO.

Just saw Buckenara's assessment in the HUN.
God he hates us.

Check out---Adelaide 8/10....Carlton 7.5/10....Collingwood 6.
He's having a laugh.

Adelaide are paying players to play elsewhere next year and gained little in return for their services----8/10.
Carlton brought in a player who will be 34 by seasons end and failed to execute deals for Papley and Martin--yet this yields a 7.5.
Collingwood by its own admission were always going to be quiet, brought in cheap ruck depth (not to play in the same team as Cox and Grundy at the same time, cleared out James Aish to start preparations for our big 2020 salary cap whilst improving our 2020 draft hand to a degree and this yields a lesser value than the above clubs?

GTFO.
These ratings never factor in the hand that the club was holding. It's just a simple exercise in looking at ins and outs and whehter the club improved their list or not.

St Kilda won trade week because they got the most guys in. Gold Coast will win the draft because they've got the first two picks. Many had us winning last year's trade week because we got Beams in. It's meaningless shite, which doesn't bear any consequence for the upcoming season.

Yes, but on planet earth, we do things differently
Are you Superman in disguise?, because you seem to be a defender of truth, justice and the Collingwood way, always shooting down other peoples post's but not really adding anything worthwhile, chill out a bit jack

Luke Hodge was a 3 time premiership captain. Beams was captain of the mess he turned into a contender...
True, still I haven’t lost faith that we will still see an impact from Beams at Collingwood. Is a class act, one the field.

Brisbane were building prior to Hodge, I still credit Hodge for a lot of the rise this year. Uncompromising

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a great trade period as it stands, our hands were tied by the Beams deal. We've traded fairly aggressively in recent years, some have paid off (Treloar and Adams were got at the right price I think) some not. Beams has not given value yet. Murray is gone.

Maybe we get a few games from the young ruck, and Hine has usually delivered with draft picks at any level but this is a tread water draft for us. This list has got us close twice, but Beams was meant to be the spark to put us over the top.

We are a top four list right now and have quite a few injury prone players. We have thinned our depth nd not topped up: basically we're hoping for better luck with injuries than the last two seasons. For that reason we get 4/10 in my book, mostly because we have painted ourselves into this corner with our trades over the last few years.

A contested and athletic beast is what I like about him. Kicking has improved, thanks to Rocca, and can help in the ruck.

You are right about age and injury though

Casboult has played 20+ games in each of the last four seasons (except 2018). And he was an unrestricted free agent (did trigger the option of a contract extension at Carlton for 2020, but didn't exercise it until today). Doesn't get big dollars at Carlton.

You wouldn't necessarily have recruited him for your front half - I think the value would have been in the possibility of playing him at CHB, and moving Moore forward. Plus flexibility; he would have been good cover for injury (or profound loss of form) to Cox, in both Cox's roles.

I get that Buckley and Collingwood's list managers probably don't rate him over his (long) journey, and I understand the overall aversion to "top-up" players in an attempt to pinch a flag. Seems like the club believes improvement from within will be enough to deliver a flag very soon... I guess it will be interesting to see.

Casboult has played 20+ games in each of the last four seasons (except 2018). And he was an unrestricted free agent (did trigger the option of a contract extension at Carlton for 2020, but didn't exercise it until today). Doesn't get big dollars at Carlton.

You wouldn't necessarily have recruited him for your front half - I think the value would have been in the possibility of playing him at CHB, and moving Moore forward. Plus flexibility; he would have been good cover for injury (or profound loss of form) to Cox, in both Cox's roles.

I get that Buckley and Collingwood's list managers probably don't rate him over his (long) journey, and I understand the overall aversion to "top-up" players in an attempt to pinch a flag. Seems like the club believes improvement from within will be enough to deliver a flag very soon... I guess it will be interesting to see.
We have taken the approach over the last few years to consciously trade out players that are poor kicks. Good kicking is important for our rebound game. Although we are not perfect, we are a lot better than before.

My perception of Levi is that his kicking isn’t the best?

Entered the draft with the weakest kpf stocks in decades (Reid and Cox lol).

Left the draft with the same but added in an untested NEAFL player.

Pretty confident it'll be a major team weakness yet again in 2020. Hoping Cameron does a Roughead though!

We have taken the approach over the last few years to consciously trade out players that are poor kicks. Good kicking is important for our rebound game. Although we are not perfect, we are a lot better than before.

My perception of Levi is that his kicking isn’t the best?

His goalkicking woes are obviously well documented (although Rocca has helped him, absolutely). But when we moved him to defence last pre-season (in desperation, because he wasn't going to play ahead of Curnow, McKay and McGovern in F50), we discovered that he is a pretty good field kick (hadn't had much opportunity in that area in his first decade!).

My own opinion (based on admittedly limited viewing of Collingwood recently) is that he is not obviously a worse kick than Reid, except for close (< 30 metres) to goal. And you wouldn't play him deep forward. It can be tempting, because of his capacity to clunk contested marks (important if your F50 entries are as ragged as ours!), but he offers much more value across the F50 arc. Not just because he contests strongly, but also because his set-shot technique really works at long range - he converted at better than 50% from outside 50 last year, and was top-10 in the AFL in that area.

His durability was huge for us, because we lost Curnow (twice), McKay, Jones, Kreuzer and Marchbank all for layoffs of 4+ weeks through the season. Career-best form, top 5 in our B&F... but Carlton wouldn't budge on the 1-year extension he triggered, even though he really wanted a second year. I thought the offers would come from the Melbourne clubs and we'd lose him for nothing, but thankfully it didn't happen.

I thought he could have been a piece of the puzzle for Collingwood in an incremental-improvement scenario. Seems to me you need more from your midfield to match it with the very best, and whilst a fit Beams might be part of the answer to that, it's probably more hope than expectation right now. The real game-changer would be the ability to play De Goey much more in the middle of the ground, but at present that risks blunting the forward-line. But if you have Stephenson and Elliott there, moving Moore forward might make the difference, especially as it would release Mihocek to be much more dangerous as the THIRD tall. Moore wouldn't need to dominate for that to work... but it does mean you'd need another key backman to partner with Roughead in order to handle the likes of GWS or Richmond. And right now, I am not sure who that player is, even with everyone fit.

With respect, it'd be a surprise to me if Reid played a major role; hard to imagine him staying on the park, and if it's true that his 2020 contract was the result of activating a trigger, I can't help wondering what that trigger was, because his numbers over the last two years were unprepossessing.

3/10

Good:
Darcy Cameron - Good get for minimal cost, a cheap gamble that could pay off in a position where we lack strength

OK:
James Aish - We really shouldn't have lost him, probably preferred to trade Phillips for a late first round pick to alleviate cap pressure if possible, but perhaps Phillips didn't want to be traded. Still feel like there's so much untapped potential in Aish. Ideal situation would've been to fully realise the value in phillips when he doesn't have too much potential to grow further as a player, and have Aish as a direct and available replacement, not the other way around where we're clearly losing value.

Travis Varcoe - Right decision to retain him, but not at the expense of Aish

Bad:
Josh Jenkins - Honestly the perfect pick up, slightly less so given the eventual cost. If we traded pick 35 for Jenkins + a later pick that's a strong win for you. Jenkins has been a more prolific goal kicker than anyone from our team in the last few years. Even in this "down" year he averaged 2 goals a game while also rucking. Huge salary paid by Adelaide too, Geelong probably gave a pick in the 30s because Adelaide took on even more cap from Jenkins than they wanted to. Jenkins appear to be the type of player who would flourish in our system too. Likely to improve our team quite significantly and put us right in the frame for another premiership window.

Ben Reid - Why... Just replace Reid with Jenkins... Seriously why...

Back