Rate Suns Season 2019 A-F

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I predicted 6 wins. For me it's D+

Negatives

- injuries, I am tired of Suns finishing top 1-3 every year. We got a new performance/medical teams so I hope the 2nd time around it will be better. Most were impact injuries, Rankine and Bowes were most disappointing (both soft injuries).
- 18 losses in a row. Enormous impact on players confidence in the 2nd half of the season. It also have follow on impact on recruitment, retention, club morale. You could say that Martin, Ah Chee would stay with more wins. With more wins we could probably attract better players and so on.
- Martin's performance. He had a couple of great games early but as season progressed his performance deteriorated significantly. He also does not look like he can play in the midfield full time
- 2MP also disappointed me this year, I expected him to progress but he rather stalled
- I would love to see Rankine play this year

Positives
- despite only 3 wins and constant losses 14 players re-signed. It seems the team is united, culture is good, off field is in order
- getting games into young players - Lukosius, King, Powell, Ballard
- Fiorini, Mcpherson played out the whole season for the first time
- Bowes, Ainsworth improved despite limited games
- Brodie committed and looks like he will make it be our Cunningham
- Mcpherson put hand up for midfield position, played there the whole year
- Witts and Swallow could not be better captains
- Collins, Hombsh were great for us
- I see a lot of upside for next year. Extra preseason, bigger bodies. We put a lot of games into youngsters this year. Our midfield - Fiorini, Bowes, Brodie, Macpherson, Ainsworth will be 4-5 years in a system 40+ games. They still probably need 1 more year but is is a damn good young core. Combine them with draftees Rowell/Anderson, experienced Miller, Swallow, Witts and depth Miles, 1 free agent and I am looking forward to what they can produce if staying healthy. Lukosius, King, Rankine - already salivating about their performace next year. Ballard and Powell in 3rd year. Burgess and Corbett with another preseason will be good players too.
- stadium deal. It's pleasing that Suns can now finally utilise the stadium for cricket, concerts and even make some money from it (I hope).

Best game of the year
For me it was a home game against Cats. The first 3 QTRs were fantastic - how we played, effort, contest.

Best player
Witts

Most disappointing player
Martin

Off-season moves
- only one positive from losses is that AFL will assist us. To get PP1 would be a great help as Rowell and Anderson together would fit perfectly into our midfield and would have probably the immediate impact, if not certainly in 1-2 years.
- adding outside run would be handy while Powell is developing (Ellis sounds good)
- a midfielder for depth (Greenwood, PP) unless we can get a gun (impossible this off-season I think)
- Roughhead as a coach/recruitment would be great
- Burgyone/Betts as indigenous liason (Suns keep that position vacant at the moment) and/or academy/development role. If it takes 1-2 year playing contract to convince them why not

Last edited:

Camsta

All Australian
May 12, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Depends on which part of the season

Compared to my expectations the first 5 rounds were A+
Honestly was tearing up after the siren at the freo game - could just see what it meant to the players and every fan there after the bashing in the media over the PRE-season

Rest of the season was a C- but I know what’s there and I know what’s coming 👌

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Depends on which part of the season

Compared to my expectations the first 5 rounds were A+
Honestly was tearing up after the siren at the freo game - could just see what it meant to the players and every fan there after the bashing in the media over the PRE-season

Rest of the season was a C- but I know what’s there and I know what’s coming 👌
For the whole season. I was thinking about C- but then 18 losses in row is no good.

Positive view - decent run with injuries, our young midfield starts to deliver, young guns extend, Rankine is awsome -> 6-8 wins.
Negative view - again decimated by injuries, little progress on the field, Lukosius, King leave. 10 year, never ending rebuild.

By the way, Weller in the guts the last game got me excited. Could he be our Lachie Neale? He just needs some extra kg.

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Until that Richmond game i was really enjoying this season. The performances against Geelong and West Coast were excellent. Best win would have to be against Carlton. First game i went to on the coast and the atmosphere was amazing. Unfortunately that was our last win as well and it was April.

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Positives:
Weller went to another level and surprised he still cops it.
Bowes, Ainsworth, Powell, Brodie, Fiorini, McPherson all improved their game.
Thought King was a bust after watching the JLT but credit to recruiters who got it right!
Negatives:
Thompson knee. Wright stagnating, turnovers and poor foot skills again.
C+

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
Keep it simple for me. Given what we looked like before the season started, that is a:
'Pass, but Needs Improvement.'

Enough close games to get a pass, but too many floggings for comfort. If we don't show a fair bit more next year (especially with our % which yet again was abysmal) I would officially be panicking.

Old Sol

Senior List
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Powells first 5 or so games were amazing then he got concussed and just wasnt right after that. I cannot wait to see him again next year. Got a hell of a lot of improvement left in the boy
His pace an aggression were fantastic before his injury. Doesn't get mentioned enough as one of the young blokes driving this club forward. Type of kid you know is going to have an impressive preseason too. Lots to like

Old Sol

Senior List
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Can't say I predicted as many close games this year - certainly thought we would cop a few 100+ beltings too. By that measure the season panned out better than I thought.

C grade works for me. Not a great score but if we can find a few more things to get excited about next year (Rankine + pick 1, maybe a breakout year from one of our young guys or a higher percentage) 2020 could be the start of something really sweet =)

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Where can I see us in 5 years time?

All Australian contention level
- Rankine - without playing showed the talent he has, think he will thrive not wilt with the step in in competition level
- Bowes - seems a class player, if he can play midfield and get 25 possessions / game I think he can be a Steele Sidebottom level player at peak
- Ben King - Can see him kicking 50 goals a year with good forward supply, an excellent leader and strong hands, nice kick
- Jack Lukosius - Honestly, I think the half back line suits him. Excellent kick - if he is delivering inside 50, its absolutely a win for us.
- Weller - Took strides this year - as a winger / midfielder with his laser kicking I think he can continue to improve.

Good players
- Fiorini - don't think he has the skills or athleticism to be elite but tries hard and knows how to find the footy. A Brad Crouch type player at his peak I think
- Sexton - Will be older by then but finishing around goals still valuable. Reads the play and excellent at collecting loose balls inside 50.
- Ballard - Excellent reader of the play, tall with good hands, tries his hardest - be interesting to see if he can develop more skills to play further up the ground
- Ainsworth - Think he's a guy who will always be a mixture of midfield and forward - 20 possessions / game and 20 goals in a season a definite possibility
- Wil Powell - can really see the traits he has and see the player he could become. A tallish, rangy, skilled winger who can run and has a knack of kicking goals.
- Will Brodie - Very good at certain things - has worked on his weaknesses, liked that he got into more offensive chains this year. Will see his further development, but certainly could see him as one of our 10 best players.
- Jarrod Witts - Should still be going around then as a mig mature 31 year old ruckman.

Solid best 22
- Darcy Macpherson - Tries his all, tackles hard, marks well for his size, probably swapping mid/fwd with Ainsworth. Upside somewhat limited
- Touk Miller - may be midfield depth, but professional. Inability to play other positions limit his versatility and probably make him depth when we get further midfield development.
- Peter Wright - have soured a bit on his potential. Just doesn't dominate. Can see him being a decent player kicking 30-40 goals but not more.

Unknowns
- Mitch Riordan has sne AFL quality athletic and footy skills - only played sparingly, but think he has potential to be AFL worthy
- Sam Fletcher, impressed at the back end of the NEAFL season - didn't realise he was 188cm.
- Alex Davies - how good could he be? Would still be 21 but could see him in the midfield ahead of Touk for instance
- Connor Budarick - been a little underwhelmed with his performances in the NEAFL at the end of the year - probably got a bit tired as was very good in earlier matches
- Rowell and Anderson? obviously fit into that AA potential category if we end up with them.

How much closer are we to that 5 year goal at the end of the year?
Well I think basically all those in the top 2 categories had good years all things considering.
From that perspective I can say I think the year was reasonable.

I wish we could have turned some good performances into wins.
Winning that Demons, Saints and Essendon game - I think the tale is quite different. 6 wins would have been far above par. I think 3 is probably just below, especially considering they all came early.

If we can see improvement from these young guys with 1 or 2 really breaking out to look like potential A graders next year - I think that would be fantastic.
Bowes, Rankine, Weller, Ainsworth looking at you guys.

Back