• 3 Star

Votes: 29 11.9%
  • 4 Star

Votes: 154 63.1%
  • 5 Star

Votes: 50 20.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe or maybe not. Points are absolutely meaningless unless there are academy kids involved, which in this case there are not.

The elite talent is in the top 8 so there is greater incentive to get 6 then 9, especially if we did it earlier in the trade period. With Mills and Heeney plus Taranto/SPS/Scrimshaw/Brodie sets them up really well as they already have strong depth.
Sydney would know that it was a good deal for us also to get Prestia, so doubt they would have paid overs.

What was refreshing to see was many media and pundits saying Richmond was one of the clear winners. Even opposition supporters have been pretty much in agreement we did well.

Can't recall the last time we had widespread acclaim for a trade period. IIRC, we got a bit of praise for the Yarran deal last year but it was only 'decen't and not 'good/amazing'

Plus if you look at the Caddy trade in isolation, the fact there is a lot of Geelong melts (see the Geelong Advertiser) shows they don't think it was a good trade in their best interests. :p

What was refreshing to see was many media and pundits saying Richmond was one of the clear winners. Even opposition supporters have been pretty much in agreement we did well.

Can't recall the last time we had widespread acclaim for a trade period. IIRC, we got a bit of praise for the Yarran deal last year but it was only 'decen't and not 'good/amazing'

Plus if you look at the Caddy trade in isolation, the fact there is a lot of Geelong melts (see the Geelong Advertiser) shows they don't think it was a good trade in their best interests. :p
Dude...so sad that you base your self-worth on the opinions of others. I love and respect you. Gimme a big hug.

Dude...so sad that you base your self-worth on the opinions of others. I love and respect you. Gimme a big hug.

Thanks home slice, those kind words are exactly what the 'nursie' ordered. ;)

tumblr_inline_mhrycpwD9J1qbpmoi.jpg

Did we pay too much for Prestia?

You could have bought Dominoes Pizza shares three years ago but they traded on a p/e of 30x. Expensive. Stupidly expensive.
Stock price was about $15....way too expensive.
It's now $65.

The price we paid for Prestia will be totally irrelevant if he performs to expectations. I'm happy that we rolled the dice, couldn't be arsed waiting for a snotty nosed pick 6 to maybe save us in 2020.

You could have bought Dominoes Pizza shares three years ago but they traded on a p/e of 30x. Expensive. Stupidly expensive.
It's now $65.

The price we paid for Prestia will be totally irrelevant if he performs to expectations. I'm happy that we rolled the dice, couldn't be arsed waiting for a snotty nosed pick 6 to maybe save us in 2020.
How's the price irrelevant when we need to improve our list? Seeing the draft video of Taranto, I would much prefer to have got him than Prestia at the price we paid.

The fact is we got done over by the GC fronted by that campaigner Cochrane. Doesn't sit well with me that we rolled over and handing over pick 6. What if the other trades didn't go our way, would you be as complacent about a poor deal?

Does your analogy mean that he is worth more than what we paid for him? Doubt if he is going to get better that what he has shown but will good player for us if injury free.

Lids only choosing GWS at the back end of the trade period really hindered us.

We should have traded our first next year for Prestia and then only taken the future first we got from GWS into next years draft.

I still can't understand why we failed to trade back into this years first round. Now we have to wait one year to bring in a kid to develop, instead of grabbing one this year and putting 12 months of development into them.

Prestia will be good for us but we'll regret missing out one of these top 8 kids.

How's the price irrelevant when we need to improve our list? Seeing the draft video of Taranto, I would much prefer to have got him than Prestia at the price we paid.

The fact is we got done over by the GC fronted by that campaigner Cochrane. Doesn't sit well with me that we rolled over and handing over pick 6. What if the other trades didn't go our way, would you be as complacent about a poor deal?

Does your analogy mean that he is worth more than what we paid for him? Doubt if he is going to get better that what he has shown but will good player for us if injury free.

Who is this Taranto you speak so highly of? A potential star that may or may not be available for pick 6? Too hypothetical.

All I'm saying is that the Prestia trade will be a success based on his performance, not the price we paid. Price is irrelevant if he can slot in to our top echelon of performers. If he's a dud, or injured, he aint worth pick 50.
So I'm not saying he is cheap or worth more than the mighty Taranto. If Taranto turns out to be a gun he should go for pick 1!

We should have traded our first next year for Prestia and then only taken the future first we got from GWS into next years draft.

I still can't understand why we failed to trade back into this years first round. Now we have to wait one year to bring in a kid to develop, instead of grabbing one this year and putting 12 months of development into them.

Prestia will be good for us but we'll regret missing out one of these top 8 kids.
We might still end up with ready made guns at 27 and 56.

Would have liked another second rounder but we did well.

Doubt it, Hall was better than Prestia this year, even showed in best and fairest 5th vs 8th to me that is a good indicator. 186cm vs 175cm
Can take over head marks etc, has a beautiful kick

Caddy didn't even finish in top 10 in best and fairest, 4 midfielders in front of him

In just saying what I've seen and also added proof from best and fairest from their clubs...

Yet ignore prestia was injuried from round 8 and hall only finished 3 places higher while playing more games.

Facts are fun lol

Doubt it, Hall was better than Prestia this year, even showed in best and fairest 5th vs 8th to me that is a good indicator. 186cm vs 175cm
Can take over head marks etc, has a beautiful kick

Caddy didn't even finish in top 10 in best and fairest, 4 midfielders in front of him

In just saying what I've seen and also added proof from best and fairest from their clubs...
Wasn't Caddy played out of position for much of the year and he still managed 20 possessions and 1 goal a game much the same in 2015, not too mention over 4 tackles a game which is about the average for our whole team.

The fact that the Cats were not willing to trade him for Lids tells me they were not happy to lose him, and I imagine they were much less happy when all they got was pick 26.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two firsts next year in what is supposed to be a very strong draft - we will need to replenish KPP and it's supposed to be a good draft for that. You can't have it all so if that's their plan OK. Hope it is, don't know.

No excuse though as to why we're in this situation to begin with. Those blokes have been there long enough to manage the list and not find ourselves with these holes.

There will always be regrets yet the fact is on past record we are just as likely to do well at 27 as we are at 6, we would of all liked to hang on to that pick but in reality two firsts next year and two solid 24 years old's this year is much smarter, both Caddy and Prestia would still be playing even if we do need a full rebuild and if we only need a step back to go forward then they are also just what we need, as long as we hang on to Dusty and Cotch we should have a solid core of a mid field for the next 6 or 7 years.

We should have done a trade with Sydney like Stk or PA ended up doing.
If we had pick 14 and 17 and given up pick 6, we could have used pick 14 on prestia and kept 17, then had a 1st rounder this year and next year (for Lids) and then we would have had to use pick 27 on Caddy.

but instead of our first pick being 27, it would have been 17.

i think RFC and GC always had an agreement for pick 6 though, and if we traded out 6, then GC might have said no to pick 14. But in that sense, had it got to 1pm on the Thursday, they would have relented like they did with O'Meara.

It's now $65.

I disagree with that analogy. Despite Dominos stock being expensive that was the market valuation. What we did is pay 25$ instead of the market value, that left us unable to to invest that extra $10 into other shares.

Pick 6 was over priced for Prestia he was worth a 10-15 pick, that was confirmed by the price of JOM, Mitchell and Deledio. So instead of trading down and then being able to invest the change into the draft we just straight up overpaid.

I hope Prestia wins a brownlow, becomes a superstar and reaches his $65 stock price but it doesn't change the fact our profit could have been bigger.

I disagree with that analogy. Despite Dominos stock being expensive that was the market valuation. What we did is pay 25$ instead of the market value, that left us unable to to invest that extra $10 into other shares.

Pick 6 was over priced for Prestia he was worth a 10-15 pick, that was confirmed by the price of JOM, Mitchell and Deledio. So instead of trading down and then being able to invest the change into the draft we just straight up overpaid.

I hope Prestia wins a brownlow, becomes a superstar and reaches his $65 stock price but it doesn't change the fact our profit could have been bigger.
you only make a profit if you sell when the stocks are high. if prestia wins a brownlow and becomes a superstar, we have under paid.

at the moment, we paid too much - maybe just overpaid, but still.

you only make a profit if you sell when the stocks are high. if prestia wins a brownlow and becomes a superstar, we have under paid.

at the moment, we paid too much - maybe just overpaid, but still.

True...

anyway the point i'm making is we paid over market rates right now and left ourselves short investing that extra $10 elsewhere.

Disagree. First the analogy is correct. The market priced Prestia at 6 because that's where he traded, same as Dominos. Secondly, you don't have extra to spend on other shares because if you don't pay the market price you don't get Prestia (or Dominos!). It's a moot point.
Saying we shoulda or coulda with other picks is pure speculation, hypothetical and just not in the real world. Profit could've been bigger? When?

JOM for a first and second lines up well with a first for Prestia. JOM probably a little better player than Prestia.
Mitchell for a later first lines up well for a first for Prestia. Prestia is better than Mitchell.

In any event the price paid, as I said earlier, will be deemed cheap or expensive based on the future exploits of D Prestia.

Disagree. First the analogy is correct. The market priced Prestia at 6 because that's where he traded, same as Dominos. Secondly, you don't have extra to spend on other shares because if you don't pay the market price you don't get Prestia (or Dominos!). It's a moot point.
Saying we shoulda or coulda with other picks is pure speculation, hypothetical and just not in the real world. Profit could've been bigger? When?

JOM for a first and second lines up well with a first for Prestia. JOM probably a little better player than Prestia.
Mitchell for a later first lines up well for a first for Prestia. Prestia is better than Mitchell.

In any event the price paid, as I said earlier, will be deemed cheap or expensive based on the future exploits of D Prestia.

We paid pick 6 because we were bullied into it not because it was the value. We didn't spend 10 days (and more from as soon as Dion nominated us) haggling over pick 26 or 24, which was always going to be pick 24 because they could use 26 on academy players without worrying about list numbers as it was traded last year. We never wanted to trade 6 and were looking for ways out of it, hence why we kept offering next years 1st.

Mitchell is a better player. His finals made sure there was no doubt about that.
JOM is also a better player pick 10 and next years 2nd rounder are probably less then pick 6 this year as this was a great draft for the top 8 and has fantastic depth down to 40 or 50. Next years does not have the depth of talent.

We overpaid simply because we didn't turn pick 6 into more then Prestia, which was what we should have done.

We paid pick 6 because we were bullied into it not because it was the value. We didn't spend 10 days (and more from as soon as Dion nominated us) haggling over pick 26 or 24, which was always going to be pick 24 because they could use 26 on academy players without worrying about list numbers as it was traded last year. We never wanted to trade 6 and were looking for ways out of it, hence why we kept offering next years 1st.

Mitchell is a better player. His finals made sure there was no doubt about that.
JOM is also a better player pick 10 and next years 2nd rounder are probably less then pick 6 this year as this was a great draft for the top 8 and has fantastic depth down to 40 or 50. Next years does not have the depth of talent.

We overpaid simply because we didn't turn pick 6 into more then Prestia, which was what we should have done.

Agree to disagree. Cheers.

GC didn't want our future first, so that wouldn't work. We also could trade back into the first round because we had nothing to trade to get us this pick. If Lids had done the right thing and said at the start he was off to GWS we could have them trade him for a top 10-15 pick, and on trade that for Prestia. Then again, we may not have got Caddy. Swings and roundabouts.

Back