Rate the album thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I want to start listening to new genres of music, but all varieties of music that I may ordinarily gloss over, and with an open mind.

So here is the idea:

One album rated and reviewed for two days, next user is nominated by the previous poster.

First Album is 5 by JJ Cale
A funky little album with a nice chilled vibe. Its the sort of music I could see myself ĺistening to with a group of mates and a beer. To be fair, I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to it on many other occasions as I have mediocre vibes about the album as a whole. For what it's worth, Bob Marley would always be a first choice but the album certainly doesn't disgrace itself. Thirteen Days gives a real positive vibe, Dont cry sister is quite catchy, and Too Much For Me is funky. While the album is quite chilled, it has in my opinion a limited listening experience. I wouldn't listen to it on a road trip, on walks, or exercise I would prefer other àrtists, or genres. This might not be his best album but I would prefer a more upbeat vibe like Lynard Skinard.

I am rating my albums I am scoring as such. Each song rated and averaged, album cover rated

0 hate it, song irritates me
2 can barely listen to it, but make it
4 mediocre, no feel or vibe
6 so so. Its ok to listen to occasionally
8 love it would listen to often
10 on repeat (very few songs deserve to make it)

No.TitleWriter(s)Rating
1."Thirteen Days"8
2."Boilin' Pot"6
3."I'll Make Love to You Anytime"5
4."Don't Cry Sister"7
5."Too Much for Me"5
6."Sensitive Kind"7
7."Friday"6
8."Lou-Easy-Ann"7
9."Let's Go to Tahiti"Bill Boatman, Roger Tillotson5
10."Katy Kool Lady" ("Out of Style" on CD)J.J. Cale, Christine Lakeland6
11."Fate of a Fool"6
12."Mona"5

6/10

album cover 7, simple design. I wouldn't hunt it on vinyl for the music or cover

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2014
Newcastle
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors, Dallas, Liverpool
No.TitleWriter(s)Rating
1."Thirteen Days"7
2."Boilin' Pot"5
3."I'll Make Love to You Anytime"5
4."Don't Cry Sister"8
5."Too Much for Me"7
6."Sensitive Kind"8
7."Friday"6
8."Lou-Easy-Ann"6
9."Let's Go to Tahiti"Bill Boatman, Roger Tillotson5
10."Katy Kool Lady" ("Out of Style" on CD)J.J. Cale, Christine Lakeland3
11."Fate of a Fool"6
12."Mona"5
AVE = 5.9

Highlights were the tone of the guitar and reggae undertone. Found the vocals interesting but too crooner-y. Definitely enjoyed it and would add the 8/10 songs to a playlist if the album was on Tidal. Having ad breaks might've dented the ratings tbh.

HAIM - Days Are Gone (2013)

Tried using OP's rating system (but made 8 = "Would add to a playlist").

One of my favourite albums. Breezy pop rock. Multiple intertwining vocals. Catchy riffs. Plenty of nostalgia listening with housemates and on road trips. Random fact: one of the sisters is in Licorice Pizza.

Album cover - 7

No.TitleRating
1Falling8
2Forever8
3The Wire7
4If I Could Change Your Mind7
5Honey & I6
6Don't Save Me8
7Days Are Gone9
8My Song 59
9Go Slow5
10Let Me Go7
11Running If You Call My Name8
AVERAGE7.5

Mar 19, 2014
Newcastle
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Ocha905 have listened to half of the songs and can't say it's my style. Ill do a full review later. Im not really sure what to make of it.
Haha. Sorry about that mate. I wouldn't finish it since it's more of the same the whole way through.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
I want to start listening to new genres of music

What genres do you not listen to already? I like stuff from all over the world.
Maybe hit NTS radio online and click on one of their genres. It's a pretty amazing radio station.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Haha. Sorry about that mate. I wouldn't finish it since it's more of the same the whole way through.

Maybe hit NTS radio online and click on one of their genres. It's a pretty amazing radio station.
I like music with a lot of intracies, off pattern beats, tempo changes. Is why I love Bowie. There is another song I love. Not sure if it's Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath but the temmpo gradually increases over the first minute.

I did discover dark ambient which I love when mellowing.new wave,lo fi or whatever it is. I loved some of the rock from the 60s that my Dad gave me ion LP. Lee michaels, BTO, Greatful Dead (earlier rock from CCR) I dont know how to explain the genre. Billy Field, John Kennedy. So a lot of stuff Ive discovered

Mar 19, 2014
Newcastle
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
I like music with a lot of intracies, off pattern beats, tempo changes. Is why I love Bowie. There is another song I love. Not sure if it's Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath but the temmpo gradually increases over the first minute.

I did discover dark ambient which I love when mellowing.new wave,lo fi or whatever it is. I loved some of the rock from the 60s that my Dad gave me ion LP. Lee michaels, BTO, Greatful Dead (earlier rock from CCR) I dont know how to explain the genre. Billy Field, John Kennedy. So a lot of stuff Ive discovered
I'd suggest trying some shoegaze artists like My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive and The Jesus and Mary Chain as they have many of the complexities you're interested in.

My Bloody Valentine's Loveless is a personal favourite-

Mar 19, 2014
Newcastle
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Never heard of NTS but it's ******* A. Been giving it a whirl this afternoon. Great recommendation!

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Never heard of NTS but it's ******* A. Been giving it a whirl this afternoon. Great recommendation!
Thanks man!

It is a little club/techno/house/disco/hip hop focused but if you dig around there's every type of music on there, it's really great.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Everclear: So much for the afterglow

First time listening to this complete album and I was impressed with the overall quality. While I think Father of Mine is miles ahead of the rest, Everything to Everyone shares a familiar vibe. The album varies style and tempo considerably and unlike some albums I feel like I'm listening to sevèral diffeŕent styles. For what its worth, the album is well rounded and captivating. Historically listening to artists like Smashmouth and The Calling you get the feeling youre listening to the same music over and over. This album gives me a typical 90s nostalgia feel, getting real Weezer vibes. The music is upbeat at times, motivating and uplifting, but at times just chill. I could easily listen to this album at the gym, on the road, although not really a road trip piece. The album will definitely hit my repeat list on Spotify.

No.TitleRating
1."So Much for the Afterglow"6
2."Everything to Everyone"9
3."Ataraxia (Media Intro)" (Actually an excerpt from "The Relaxed Wife.")Na
4."Normal Like You"9
5."I Will Buy You a New Life"9.5
6."Father of Mine"10
7."One Hit Wonder"6
8."El Distorto de Melodica (Instrumental)"8
9."Amphetamine"6
10."White Men in Black Suits"8
11."Sunflowers"7