Society/Culture Rate the Australian Capital cities.

the best and the s**t

• Sydney

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 48 60.0%
  • Perth

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Darwin

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Hobart

Votes: 11 13.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

While they still have Tex Walker as Captain, then that chip ain't going anywhere.

I've always found them pretty good, they are down to earth folks.

Aside from the one Port supporter I was genuinely going to kill back in 2007. The red mist well and truly descended that night. He's lucky he could run quicker than me.

Melbournes got good food and football
Sydneys got a harbour
Perths too far isolated and hick
Adelaide Brizzy Canberra and Hobart are too hick
Darwins only pretending to be a city but is probably better for it.

Meh Australian cities are over rated.

Cheaper to live in the bush and catch a plane and see a real city if you want city life for a few days

It is hard these days to work them out as none of them are much good these days.

Putting aside the out of touch cesspool that is the cause of most of Australia's problems (Canberra).
Darwin is probably the next worst, nothing to do, crap climate and lots of drunken scum in the CBD area.
Melbourne and Sydney next worse - ruined by insane levels of immigration that have far eclipsed our ability to build infrastructure and turned into over populated noisy smelly expensive pieces of crap.
Perth - long way from anywhere, quiet on the weekend but some nice areas.
Adelaide - not much to do, but nicer, cleaner with a fraction of the problems of Sydney & Melbourne. Ahead of Perth due to great food.
Brisbane - improving, things to do, good infrastructure, not as over-populated as others.
Hobart would win, nice place, safe, not crowded, great food.

Putting aside the out of touch cesspool that is the cause of most of Australia's problems (Canberra).
I think you'll find the cause of most of Australia's problems are corrupt local councils. But no one cares about what they're allowed to get away with.

Sydney is the worst unless you're rich, then it's the best.

I recall someone saying "Sydney, great place, needs a population transplant though, full of wonkers". Exhibit A - Michael Clarke

Element of truth in that. Unfortunately some of that started to creep in to Melbourne (sorry we don't let people in wearing suits, we're all hipsters)

Sounds like the Australian Antarctic Research Station is the place you want to be. Doesn’t have any of the “issues” you pointed out above.

No dice; UNIT isn't a fan of Emperor Penguins.

The black and white coats imply a degree of miscegenation he's a bit uncomfortable with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne
Canberra (for living, would be ranked lower for visiting/holiday purposes)
Hobart
Brisbane
Darwin
Sydney
Adelaide

Have not been to Perth.

I'm the opposite with you for Canberra. I lived there for around 5 years and didn't particularly like it. In fact I think it's pretty much a bit of a soulless hole.

Now on the other hand, I think it's a pretty good place to visit. Four or five days should do it, a week might be a stretch. If you've got kids you've got The War Memorial, Tidbinbilla, The National Library, The Museum, Questacon, Cockington Green among others.

I'm the opposite with you for Canberra. I lived there for around 5 years and didn't particularly like it. In fact I think it's pretty much a bit of a soulless hole.

Now on the other hand, I think it's a pretty good place to visit. Four or five days should do it, a week might be a stretch. If you've got kids you've got The War Memorial, Tidbinbilla, The National Library, The Museum, Questacon, Cockington Green among others.
Hmmm. I can see both points but for me in terms of living there I saw the positives in:
- Pretty much no traffic relative to other major cities
- Chilled out lifestyle/pace of life
- Very active/sporty population
- Generally an intelligent population (due to work factors), and very open/friendly (no problem at all meeting new people for chat on a night out)
- Only 2 hours from some of the best coastline in Australia
- Only 2 hours from the premier ski/snowboarding locations in Australia
- Some of the premier mountain biking trails in Australia located <20mins from the city
- Pretty good underground music scene (took me a while to find this though)
- A couple of amazing breweries
- Very good restaurant scene (although a bit overpriced with comparable places in Melb/Syd)
- Super close to some amazing nature/outdoor locations. You've got Red Hill and Mt Ainslie where you're hiking in the bush but these areas are literally located in inner city suburbs.
- Amazing river swimming locations along the Murumbidgee

I can see why someone might like visiting with the National Library/Gallery/Portait Gallery/Museum/etc up there but they don't really do much for me. Apart from the odd one off exhibit I wasn't too impressed.

Hmmm. I can see both points but for me in terms of living there I saw the positives in:
- Pretty much no traffic relative to other major cities
- Chilled out lifestyle/pace of life
- Very active/sporty population
- Generally an intelligent population (due to work factors), and very open/friendly (no problem at all meeting new people for chat on a night out)
- Only 2 hours from some of the best coastline in Australia
- Only 2 hours from the premier ski/snowboarding locations in Australia
- Some of the premier mountain biking trails in Australia located <20mins from the city
- Pretty good underground music scene (took me a while to find this though)
- A couple of amazing breweries
- Very good restaurant scene (although a bit overpriced with comparable places in Melb/Syd)
- Super close to some amazing nature/outdoor locations. You've got Red Hill and Mt Ainslie where you're hiking in the bush but these areas are literally located in inner city suburbs.
- Amazing river swimming locations along the Murumbidgee

I can see why someone might like visiting with the National Library/Gallery/Portait Gallery/Museum/etc up there but they don't really do much for me. Apart from the odd one off exhibit I wasn't too impressed.

I forgot about the proximity to the south coast (one of the nice parts of Australia) and the snow fields but I can get that in Victoria too. I was never overly enthused with the countryside around Canberra, it's pretty dull in comparison with other landscapes near other cities.

Point Hut X was a spot that I liked. A dog walking / swimming area with nice sandy beaches and some nice secluded spots if you put in a bit of effort. We went there quite often and there was always teenagers on blow up beds floating down. They'd start floating somewhere near the city or Queanbeyan and a few hours later would end up floating past us.

I haven't really liked Sydney whenever I have gone, but I was young for most of those trips. I will be spending some time in Melbourne this year so I will be very interested in exploring it a bit more.

Fairly straight forward proposition, which is the greatest Australian city, and which is the worst.

Melbourne
View attachment 463615

Each has there pros and cons....Melbourne has culture and sport and architecture sewn up, but the delightful Apex scum are doing there best to turn the suburbs into mini Jo’burg by night. And Daniel Andrews is a rabid hard leftist and appears to loathe traditional Australian culture.

View attachment 463625

Sydney
View attachment 463616

Sydney has the harbour, the opera house, the name....but it’s also an over priced, over policed and over regulated nanny state, unless you are a Lebanese organised crime figure, or ISIS sympathiser of Middle Eastern appearance. And all the women appear to be vacuous, fake tanned, fake breasted, imbeciles.

View attachment 463626

Brisbane
View attachment 463618
Brisbane is kind of well, ‘meh’.

Lots of bikies, roid head gym sleeve tatted junkies and meth heads apparently.

Only been once so find it hard to comment.

View attachment 463627

Perth
View attachment 463617
Perth is rapidly changing into a large city, has beautiful clean beaches, great climate, but unfortunately in addition to being grotesquely over priced, it’s city streets resembling a combination of a day on the set of a meth fuelled spin off of The Walking Dead, and it’s inner city parks and open spaces (as well as suburban low income hellholes like Armadale/Midland/Balga etc), a fruity Lexia fuelled pension day in Alice Springs.

View attachment 463628

Adelaide
View attachment 463624
Adelaide, strikes me as well planned, pretty, well ordered, if somewhat insulsr city, but with a seedy underbelly of child killers and well healed, rohypnol wielding, sado masochistic sexual deviants and dirt poor, bogan, fringe dwellers pushing around abandoned shopping trolleys whilst undertaking there latest ‘bumper run’.

View attachment 463632

But maybe that’s just my perception?

Hobart, and Darwin I can’t say I’ve been too.

Interested to hear the thoughts of others?
No Canberra?
Stupid meaningless poll is stupid and meaningless.
You may as well have put Washington in the list.....

Fairly straight forward proposition, which is the greatest Australian city, and which is the worst.

Melbourne
View attachment 463615

Each has there pros and cons....Melbourne has culture and sport and architecture sewn up, but the delightful Apex scum are doing there best to turn the suburbs into mini Jo’burg by night. And Daniel Andrews is a rabid hard leftist and appears to loathe traditional Australian culture.

View attachment 463625

Sydney
View attachment 463616

Sydney has the harbour, the opera house, the name....but it’s also an over priced, over policed and over regulated nanny state, unless you are a Lebanese organised crime figure, or ISIS sympathiser of Middle Eastern appearance. And all the women appear to be vacuous, fake tanned, fake breasted, imbeciles.

View attachment 463626

Brisbane
View attachment 463618
Brisbane is kind of well, ‘meh’.

Lots of bikies, roid head gym sleeve tatted junkies and meth heads apparently.

Only been once so find it hard to comment.

View attachment 463627

Perth
View attachment 463617
Perth is rapidly changing into a large city, has beautiful clean beaches, great climate, but unfortunately in addition to being grotesquely over priced, it’s city streets resembling a combination of a day on the set of a meth fuelled spin off of The Walking Dead, and it’s inner city parks and open spaces (as well as suburban low income hellholes like Armadale/Midland/Balga etc), a fruity Lexia fuelled pension day in Alice Springs.

View attachment 463628

Adelaide
View attachment 463624
Adelaide, strikes me as well planned, pretty, well ordered, if somewhat insulsr city, but with a seedy underbelly of child killers and well healed, rohypnol wielding, sado masochistic sexual deviants and dirt poor, bogan, fringe dwellers pushing around abandoned shopping trolleys whilst undertaking there latest ‘bumper run’.

View attachment 463632

But maybe that’s just my perception?

Hobart, and Darwin I can’t say I’ve been too.

Interested to hear the thoughts of others?

Do you work for tourism Australia?

Tell you what for a city to be ranked 5th most livable cities in the world Adelaide does cop a raw deal.

Of the ones I can see myself living in and not being irritated by or financially lesser off:

1. Perth - cheaper than the east now, like Sydney if it was depopulated, too many bogans and parochial nitwits but you can avoid them. And the south west of WA is one of the best parts of the country.
2. Melbourne - best food, pub culture, coffee, beer in the country however becoming far too expensive and has not coped with the population explosion well. You will not get bored in Melbourne and it is relatively affordable compared to Sydney. Inner north is the smuggest place on the planet while parts of the west literally stink like sewage, and the east is the height of suburban banality.
3. Canberra - pretty boring, but cheaper than the main cities, decent layout of the city, plenty to do if you like the outdoors and hate people.
4. Adelaide - underrated. Bad water but best wines in the country bar none. Lots of deadshits but the good parts are cheap enough you don't need to live near them. Stupidly hot in summer, no surprises murder is a popular pastime there.
5. Sydney - the best city in the world if you're rich. If you're not it's basically going to suck your money dry and you're going to delude yourself that you're climbing the corporate ladder when it reality you're grinding yourself to a heart attack at 50.
6. Hobart - nice place to visit but the scum there and in all of Tassie are on a different level. Hopefully the influx of Chinese change the character of that state.
7. Brisbane - stupidly humid, generally backwards outlook like WA, no decent beaches in the city and the state of Queensland is basically a parody of Australia
8. Darwin - humid tropical shithole.

Sydney would be top if I could guarantee a household income above 300K over the long term.

Last edited:
Of the ones I can see myself living in and not being irritated by or financially lesser off:

1. Perth - cheaper than the east now, like Sydney if it was depopulated, too many bogans and parochial nitwits but you can avoid them. And the south west of WA is one of the best parts of the country.
2. Melbourne - best food, pub culture, coffee, beer in the country however becoming far too expensive and has not coped with the population explosion well. You will not get bored in Melbourne and it is relatively affordable compared to Sydney.
3. Canberra - pretty boring, but cheaper than the main cities, decent layout of the city, plenty to do if you like the outdoors and hate people.
4. Adelaide - underrated. Bad water but best wines in the country bar none. Lots of deadshits but the good parts are cheap enough you don't need to live near them
5. Sydney - the best city in the world if you're rich. If you're not it's basically going to suck your money dry and you're going to delude yourself that you're climbing the corporate ladder when it reality you're grinding yourself to a heart attack at 50.
6. Hobart - nice place to visit but the scum there and in all of Tassie are on a different level. Hopefully the influx of Chinese change the character of that state.
7. Brisbane - stupidly humid, generally backwards outlook like WA, no decent beaches in the city and the state of Queensland is basically a parody of Australia
8. Darwin - humid tropical shithole.

Sydney would be top if I could guarantee a household income above 300K over the long term.

So, re Sydney - if you don't have a raging coke habit, why would you need 300k+ p/a to enjoy it?

--------

Looking at the votes, I think it's more a reflection of who lives where as opposed to 'best capital city'. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I gather property prices are pretty steep.

I'm just curious what the attraction of Sydney is(besides the coke) as I've never been there. People I know that have been there have said it's great for a few nights but wouldn't want to live there.
Great beaches, architecture, climate, culture, national parks (easily best of any city in Australia). You wouldn't want to live there because it costs a shitload to live anywhere half decent, and you have to deal with the worst traffic in the country no matter where you live.

Back