Society/Culture Rate the Australian Capital cities.

the best and the s**t

• Sydney

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 48 60.0%
  • Perth

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Darwin

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Hobart

Votes: 11 13.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. And not just on the national scale, but international too.
The day to day experience is getting worse though IMO.
In rapidly growing cities you always have temporary problems as state governments are always slow to react to needs. With a labour govt its crime and traffic congestion that gets worse durng these period, with liberals public health and education get significantly worse.

In rapidly growing cities you always have temporary problems as state governments are always slow to react to needs. With a labour govt its crime and traffic congestion that gets worse durng these period, with liberals public health and education get significantly worse.

Hmm. Sydney’s PT network is a shambles... but the state libs are focussing on spending $2b to rebuild an 18 year old stadium. Obvs that’s money well spent :eek:

Hmm. Sydney’s PT network is a shambles... but the state libs are focussing on spending $2b to rebuild an 18 year old stadium. Obvs that’s money well spent :eek:
Sydney's PT network is not too bad actually considering its size but there are improvements which could be made.

I’m from Adelaide originally and didn’t know what public transport was. Now live in Sydney and use public transport every day. Drive and park at office near central station, and can catch trains to wherever I need to go for meetings. I see a lot of criticism around Sydney public transport and I have only been there a year, but what am I missing? Maybe I am easily pleased.

Sydney's PT network is not too bad actually considering its size but there are improvements which could be made.

Yep, there are big black holes in northern suburbs/beaches.

I’m from Adelaide originally and didn’t know what public transport was. Now live in Sydney and use public transport every day. Drive and park at office near central station, and can catch trains to wherever I need to go for meetings. I see a lot of criticism around Sydney public transport and I have only been there a year, but what am I missing? Maybe I am easily pleased.

Weren’t there “strikes”.... and chaos over new timetables where it only works with drivers working overtime every other week?
Not to mention the havoc of 1 tramline taking 2+ years, of which doesn’t even connect to the other existing 1 tramline.

Yep, there are big black holes in northern suburbs/beaches.

Weren’t there “strikes”.... and chaos over new timetables where it only works with drivers working overtime every other week?
Not to mention the havoc of 1 tramline taking 2+ years, of which doesn’t even connect to the other existing 1 tramline.
Yep recent strikes which were a major interruption, but that was over pay disputes not related to infrastructure design and function. Get a pay dispute and strike going in any city in the world and there will be a sever consequence.
Mistakes are regular with large scale transport projects, we also ordered trains that don’t fit through the tunnels. My favourite is the electrification of the northern lines in SA which I worked on but was not responsible for these issues I promise. 1. Engineer miscalculated clearance of platform from train and when first train arrived it keyed itself for the full length. 2. The government ran out of money and couldn’t afford the full length of electrification so an old tech diesel train had to wait on the line and tow the new electrified trains the remainder of the trip. I think this is still happenening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Skybus?
Innovative, lol.
Whilst every other city has trains, trams and proper commuter buses.....
Are you sure every third world city has trains, trams and "proper commuter buses" to it's international airport? Sounds like bullshit to me.

Skybus takes around an hour to get from the middle of our city to the airport. It's $10. Your point is completely invalid.

You like complaining a lot, don't you?

I don't. That would be unfair.

Still a dive, though.

There's plenty of good spots in Geelong....Eastern Beach, Rippleside, Pako Street, South Geelong, Newtown & Belmont to name a few....There's also the Bellarine Penninsula, Torquay, Barwon Heads, the Barwon River & the Great Ocean Road.

Hardly 'dive' material.....Unless you're stuck in Corio, Norlane or Newcombe with no money & no hope.....But that would be your own fault.

Are you sure every third world city has trains, trams and "proper commuter buses" to it's international airport? Sounds like bullshit to me.

Skybus takes around an hour to get from the middle of our city to the airport. It's $10. Your point is completely invalid.

You are dreaming.
It takes an hour? And the rest.
The worlds most "liveable" city doesnt even have a train to the airport, which by the way is an ordinary airport by world standards......

Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok (both International Airports) all have trains.

Ho Chi and Hanoi both have direct public buses. Same with Manila who also have Jeepneys which connect with some terminal.

Colombo also has a direct Airport Bus to the centre.

These are the third worldcities I have visited in our region with the exception of Jakarta.

Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok (both International Airports) all have trains.
Yeah I'm not sure I'd consider Thailand a third world country.

Give me a call when Somalia gets a rail link to their international airport.

You are dreaming.
It takes an hour? And the rest.
The worlds most "liveable" city doesnt even have a train to the airport, which by the way is an ordinary airport by world standards......
I get the impression you haven't actually seen much of the world.

Skybus during off-peak is usually around 30 minutes. Maybe catch it one time before bitching about it.

As for having an "ordinary" airport- it's a ******* airport. Who gives a s**t. How often do you use it?[/QUOTE]

Skybus during off-peak is usually around 30 minutes. Maybe catch it one time before bitching about it.

As for having an "ordinary" airport- it's a ******* airport. Who gives a s**t. How often do you use it?
[/QUOTE]
Travelled the world quite a few times......

As for having an "ordinary" airport- it's a ******* airport. Who gives a s**t. How often do you use it?
[/QUOTE]
Thailand is not a first world country at all. In Bangkok even it is still largely developing.

[/QUOTE]
An airport is the first and last thing a traveller see's in every city.
Tullamarine is a shambles......

Back