Society/Culture Rate the Australian Capital cities.

the best and the s**t

• Sydney

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 48 60.0%
  • Perth

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Darwin

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Hobart

Votes: 11 13.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not free though...
What do you mean?

Even I know its free within the city.
One of only 3 decent things about Melbourne.
1/ Sport.
2/ Food.
3/ Free tram......
Thats about it.
Don't like beautiful women, friendly people, music, art, culture or summer sunsets at 9pm...?

Let's not hang out.

What does everyone hate about the Sydney nightlife so much? The lockout's a pain but there are ways to work around it. There's a lot of amazing venues that are as good as some of the best in the world.

Just don't be silly and go to Scruffy Murphy's or Star Bar or anywhere on George Street.

Just stay away from the curfew area. Most of the curfew area plus Darling Harbour and Bondi is full of douchebags after 7pm so I generally avoided the places.

Plenty of options in Sydney

There's plenty of good spots in Geelong....Eastern Beach, Rippleside, Pako Street, South Geelong, Newtown & Belmont to name a few....There's also the Bellarine Penninsula, Torquay, Barwon Heads, the Barwon River & the Great Ocean Road.

Hardly 'dive' material.....Unless you're stuck in Corio, Norlane or Newcombe with no money & no hope.....But that would be your own fault.

The conversation referred to Darwin.

I actually really enjoyed Darwin.

From my experience there, I found it to be a curious mix of redneck and cosmopolitan. If you like good food from all around the globe and the odd(or frequent) tipple you're probably going to have a great time, especially in the dry season. There's also quite a few things to see and do.

The weather outside of the dry season is a bit of a deal breaker though - crazy levels of humidity. You will be sweating like a dog in a Chinese restaurant and that's before the sun even comes up.

On the plus side you'll get to experience some stunningly beautiful sunsets and sunrises + all of the glorious fury of mother nature courtesy of the frequent thunder and lightning storms and rain.

What do you mean?

Don't like beautiful women, friendly people, music, art, culture or summer sunsets at 9pm...?

Let's not hang out.
No.....

Just don't like the worlds worst graffiti problem.
Beggars.
"Homeless" bogans.
Drugs.
Bollards.
Road rage.
Polluted water.
s**t public transport.
Lord Mayor is a scumbag.
The pride and joy ie. Docklands is a ghost town.
Rubbish everywhere.
No jobs.
Cold.
Etc.......

No.....

Beggars.
"Homeless" bogans.
Drugs.
Bollards.
Road rage.
Polluted water.
s**t public transport.
Lord Mayor is a scumbag.
Rubbish everywhere.
No jobs.
Cold.
Etc.......
Most of these observations are probably true but it’s still a great city.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No.....

Beggars.
"Homeless" bogans.
Drugs.
Bollards.
Road rage.
Polluted water.
s**t public transport.
Lord Mayor is a scumbag.
Rubbish everywhere.
No jobs.
Cold.
Etc.......
Interesting list.

Agree we could be doing more with the homeless population, and docklands is pretty average.

Drugs are a tad expensive but they're generally good quality, and our graffiti is world-class.

Not sure what to make of the rest of your thoughts... Where do you live?

Interesting list.

Agree we could be doing more with the homeless population, and docklands is pretty average.

Drugs are a tad expensive but they're generally good quality, and our graffiti is world-class.

Not sure what to make of the rest of your thoughts... Where do you live?
If you think that any graffiti ( dumb vandalism) is world class, then you obviously partake of the good quality drugs......

My observations are the cities good points......
Lol. Most big city’s suffer from the same conditions on that list, or similar afflictions. Didn’t your grandmothers tell you if you look for the faults, it’s all you will see because everyone/thing has flaws. Look outward young man! Melbourne’s positives outweigh the drawbacks. Enjoy yourself.

Does Tracey Grimshaw or an ACA staff member post on here under an alias?

Do it right?
You mean don't go out after dark.
Don't look at anyone.
Lock up your house ( sorry, that doesn't work anymore)
Dont honk your horn.
Have to love graffiti.
Worst public transport in the world.
Polluted river and beaches.
No one can afford to buy or rent......
Haha

I am sick if the capital cities so imma voting for Newcastle. Great beaches. I just want to live somewhere near a beautiful beach and few dickheads (and sharks)

Mel-Bun first.....Daylight second.

Hobart would be okay if it wasn't so cold.....Brisbane also, if it wasn't so damn humid.

Adelaide is boring, Sydney is soul-less & Perth is Sunday too far away.

Have to agree re: Adelaide, we are a fair city but full of unprogressive types who are very slowly take this city to where it can be.

Could easily live in Melbourne if the chance arose, only house prices, beaches and wines are average compared to Adelaide but has everything else covered.

I like Perth and Hobart, Sydney and Brisbane are over rated and Darwin is to hot for me.

Back