Society/Culture Rate the Australian Capital cities.

the best and the s**t

• Sydney

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 48 60.0%
  • Perth

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Darwin

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Hobart

Votes: 11 13.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Of the cities I've spent more than a month in.

Melbourne (except the traffic is worse year on year)
Hobart
Adelaide
BrisVegas
Sydney (an absolute hole)
Darwin (even more of a wasteland than Sydney)

Overall though screw the cities, much prefer the country.

In my 20s and the cities they were back then

Sydney
Perth
Melbourne
Adelaide
Hobart
Brisbane

These days Perth tops the list
The traffic of Sydney and Melbourne would s**t me
Adelaide has improved but still a peasant mentality
Brisbane still tacky
Hobart has a nice coffee shop

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
It's a bit of a hierarchy.

Melbourne/Sydney (big cities)
Brisbane/Perth/Adelaide (Adelaide arguably separate these days)
Hobart (town)

Hobart might be a capital but it's not even a top 10 city in terms of population. It's comparable to Geelong or Townsville. The 'international' airport just does the odd flight to Antarctica. Even Adelaide connects with the rest of the world.

Queensland needs to lift their rating, also. 'Gold Coast' and 'Sunshine Coast' are region names.

Greenstar5

All Australian
Jun 21, 2017
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
I live in Brisbane and it has changed for the good over the last 15 years. There is a real quality vibe about the place. Plenty to do. Along with the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast and the surrounding areas it is a great place to live, work and play.

Downsides are it is bloody hot in summer and Queensland Rail is a farce.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
In my 20s and the cities they were back then

Sydney
Perth
Melbourne
Adelaide
Hobart
Brisbane

These days Perth tops the list
The traffic of Sydney and Melbourne would s**t me
Adelaide has improved but still a peasant mentality
Brisbane still tacky
Hobart has a nice coffee shop
How is brisbane tacky compared to perth? Brisbane and perth are basically the same.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
I live in Brisbane and it has changed for the good over the last 15 years. There is a real quality vibe about the place. Plenty to do. Along with the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast and the surrounding areas it is a great place to live, work and play.

Downsides are it is bloody hot in summer and Queensland Rail is a farce.
Melbourne, sydney, adelaide and perth are all far hotter then brisbane in the summer. The hottest days in brisbane in the summer are about 35 degrees. The other cities get days above 40 degrees. Never ever happens in brisbane. The summer is the wet season so lots of storms to cool things down,

Greenstar5

All Australian
Jun 21, 2017
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
Melbourne, sydney, adelaide and perth are all far hotter then brisbane in the summer. The hottest days in brisbane in the summer are about 35 degrees. The other cities get days above 40 degrees. Never ever happens in brisbane. The summer is the wet season so lots of storms to cool things down,

I have to disagree with this. Yes while the other cities do get over 40. It is not everyday of summer. In summer up here it is hot and humid every day. The storms do provide a drop in temperature, often the humidity increases, if it is an arvo storm, the sun will come back out and it is back to being hot again. Also the storms arnt every day like some believe. Just from my experiences, Brisbane has the hottest summer out of the major caps.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
I have to disagree with this. Yes while the other cities do get over 40. It is not everyday of summer. In summer up here it is hot and humid every day. The storms do provide a drop in temperature, often the humidity increases, if it is an arvo storm, the sun will come back out and it is back to being hot again. Also the storms arnt every day like some believe. Just from my experiences, Brisbane has the hottest summer out of the major caps.
Melbourne and adelaide summers are far hotter. Often have 2-3 days in a row of heat around 40 degrees. Dont even get close to that in brisbane. Ive lived in brisbane for 5 years and miss the heat of the south. To much summer rain and no scorchers.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
1. Melbourne (Sticking phat, just, footy tips it over the line)
2. Brisbane (Near the coast, hinterland, easy to get around)
3. Canberra (Good to live in. <Work>Close to coast for a weekend get away and Melb and Sydney close)
4. Perth (Stunning. Swan River is stunning. Just personally too far away and hot af in summer)
5. Darwin (Great surrounds. But see Perth above)
6. Sydney (Habour + Northern beaches. Then leave unless you love traffic and yuppies.)

Hobart, Adelaide (for some weird reason have never been. Which is weird given they are the 2 closest to melb. Need to make a point of it. Not really holiday places and have just never had cause to go).

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
1. Melbourne (Sticking phat, just, footy tips it over the line)
2. Brisbane (Near the coast, hinterland, easy to get around)
3. Canberra (Good to live in. <Work>Close to coast for a weekend get away and Melb and Sydney close)
4. Perth (Stunning. Swan River is stunning. Just personally too far away and hot af in summer)
5. Darwin (Great surrounds. But see Perth above)
6. Sydney (Habour + Northern beaches. Then leave unless you love traffic and yuppies.)

Hobart, Adelaide (for some weird reason have never been. Which is weird given they are the 2 closest to melb. Need to make a point of it. Not really holiday places and have just never had cause to go).
Go to adelaide for the footy or cricket and then head into the hills and barossa valley to get pissed at wineries and explore the german towns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Haha

I am sick if the capital cities so imma voting for Newcastle. Great beaches. I just want to live somewhere near a beautiful beach and few dickheads (and sharks)
Plenty of Dickheads in Newcastle
I was glad to leave after 6 months and never going back

bixente

Team Captain
Feb 21, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Of the cities I've spent more than a month in.

Melbourne (except the traffic is worse year on year)
Hobart
Adelaide
BrisVegas
Sydney (an absolute hole)
Darwin (even more of a wasteland than Sydney)

Overall though screw the cities, much prefer the country.

Have you been to Bendigo? I moved there a couple years ago, I really like it.

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
To live (consider I like cities thate arent too big when looking at this catergory):

Perth
Adelaide
Melbourne
Brisbane
Hobart
Sydney
Darwin

For events, experiences etc:

Melbourne
Sydney
Brisbane = Perth
Adelaide
Hobart = Darwin

1. Canberra. Almost perfect city only ruined by the drongo's the rest of the country vote in to pollute. Big enough that we have all the amenities that the larger cities have but small enough that we don't have their problems, such as over crowding, traffic jams etc. Close to the beach, close to the snow, close enough to Sydney that if I do have to go, I can make it a day trip. Summer can get a little hot, Winter can get a little cold, but for most of the year the weather is quite pleasant, around the late teens, to early twenties. Almost perfect.

2. Brisbane. Nice climate, nice people, close to the Sunshine Coast, which is my favourite part of Australia. Shame it's close to the Gold Coast.
3. Adelaide. Nice city, well planned. The people aren't too bad either. Gets way too hot during the summer.
4. Hobart. A little too small, but the people are wonderful.

5. Perth. Shame it's too far away, I don't know enough about the people and city to have a proper opinion, which is why I put behind the 4 cities I've been too and enjoyed, and ahead of the three cities I've been too and didn't enjoy as much.

6. Sydney. The city itself isn't as nice as Melbourne, but the People are far nicer.
7. Melbourne. The city is nice, shame it's ruined by those who live in it.
8. Darwin. Can't handle the climate.

Footyfan61

Debutant
Dec 19, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No.....

Just don't like the worlds worst graffiti problem.
Beggars.
"Homeless" bogans.
Drugs.
Bollards.
Road rage.
Polluted water.
s**t public transport.
Lord Mayor is a scumbag.
The pride and joy ie. Docklands is a ghost town.
Rubbish everywhere.
No jobs.
Cold.
Etc.......
If you have actually traveled anywhere the PT in Melbourne is very good!
No city is ever going to be perfect but when you consider the large land mass of the urban sprawl to the population it’s a very good system!

Take trip to Sydney if you want crap

Footyfan61

Debutant
Dec 19, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Haha

I am sick if the capital cities so imma voting for Newcastle. Great beaches. I just want to live somewhere near a beautiful beach and few dickheads (and sharks)
The NRL bogan type & wannabe hipster ruin it for me

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
1. Canberra. Almost perfect city only ruined by the drongo's the rest of the country vote in to pollute. Big enough that we have all the amenities that the larger cities have but small enough that we don't have their problems, such as over crowding, traffic jams etc. Close to the beach, close to the snow, close enough to Sydney that if I do have to go, I can make it a day trip. Summer can get a little hot, Winter can get a little cold, but for most of the year the weather is quite pleasant, around the late teens, to early twenties. Almost perfect.

If you like Canberra you have no soul. One of the most boring places on earth. It's 4 hours round trip to the beach, and 6 hours round trip to the snow or Sydney.

Back