Rate the captains

Remove this Banner Ad

Viney is a better player than Jones and a better leader.

Viney is the culture changer at the Dees. He has an intangible hardness Jones doesn't quite have.

He's still only 23, so I can understand you're not as familiar with him as you could be.
Better player now, or better player than Jones ever was? Because Jones was an absolute gun in his peak, seriously underrated.

But you don't know "how he goes about it" .

Coincidently, I just heard an interview by Caddy from last week on this topic.

He said at Richmond, the atmosphere before a game is really fun, light, and they're taking the piss out of each other. At Geelong, he said he doesn't have a bad word to say about them, they're a great club with a great culture, but compared to Richmond they were "really serious on game day. Joel being the skipper is a very serious operator, so that would sought of float onto the team".

So Joel is a super serious, intense captain, and that vibe does filter to the rest of the team.

The only assumption I'm making is that Joel is likely to be more serious than usual in the week before a final. Is that a stretch? Big games = more intense preparation.

Joel goes from best captain in H/A (67%) to worst captain in the finals (27%), probably because he's overly intense and it affects the group, especially when the stakes are highest, in finals.

Too many people judge captains by their individual performances, but that's a mark against Joel Selwood's captaincy in big games, surely.

He said at Richmond, the atmosphere before a game is really fun, light, and they're taking the piss out of each other. At Geelong, he said he doesn't have a bad word to say about them, they're a great club with a great culture, but compared to Richmond they were "really serious on game day. Joel being the skipper is a very serious operator, so that would sought of float onto the team".

So Joel is a super serious, intense captain, and that vibe does filter to the rest of the team.

The only assumption I'm making is that Joel is likely to be more serious than usual in the week before a final. Is that a stretch? Big games = more intense preparation.

Joel goes from best captain in H/A (67%) to worst captain in the finals (27%), probably because he's overly intense and it affects the group, especially when the stakes are highest, in finals.

Too many people judge captains by their individual performances, but that's a mark against Joel Selwood's captaincy in big games, surely.
Yep, interesting and might make valid point. Selwood’s leadership by example, in finals is of course, very good, but the intensity may work against the team. However, I suspect it’s just that the team hasn’t been good enough against the very best at the pointy end of the season.

the only reason he was voted best captain was because of the death of phill walsh and being captain during that hard time and the other captains new how hard they must be doing it as a team i dont think it was coz tex was the stand out captain per say

God that’s so dumb

Err...no...that’s not what we were referring to...
yes it is. its the only time he puts his head forward. Although the was an exception once when he was knocked out by a hawthorn player and his head fell forward and landed on the ground. The hawthorn player then decided to knee him in the head whilst on the ground. Come to think of it there are a couple of exceptions like this and they almost always involve hawthorn players.

Last edited:
It’s actually the worst record of any captain with more than eight finals. Wouldn’t have thought the club has any doubts whatsoever about Selwood’s leadership, though. Post-2011 Geelong has had trouble finding an extra gear in finals; maybe their conditioning is lacking in some way.

I think it is just that our bottom six is very weak and finals expose that. H&A our best players can get us over the line.

Joel goes from best captain in H/A (67%) to worst captain in the finals (27%), probably because he's overly intense and it affects the grou
p, especially when the stakes are highest, in finals.

Can't be sneezed at.
Except that we beat Hawks in 16, Swans in 17.
Do or die games.
I seriously think we are simply not good enough to exert finals pressure for more than 1 game.
Thinking that Selwood's intensity, nervousness, demeanour during the week leads to the 21 other players following suit on match day is too long a bow for me.
Respect your thinking though.

Following on from the rate the coaches thread, thought I’d have a go at ranking the captains. Not an easy task however below is my list.

1. Joel Selwood - universally acknowledged as the best captain in the comp.

2. Trent Cotchin - who would have thought this 12 months ago however his 2017 was unbelievable, capped off by one of the most inspiring September’s you’d want to see from a captain. Battering ram.

3. Josh Kennedy - seems to be an inspiring type who leads with his actions.

4. Callan Ward - dual captain with Phil Davis however I rate him higher. Another inspirational skipper who always puts his body on the line.

5. Eastern Wood - led his team to a flag 18 months ago filling in for the injured bob Murphy. Very courageous player who you’d imagine would inspire, would want to have his teambounce back this year.

6. Jared Roughhead - only been skipper for a year so hard to judge however much loved by all so you’d think his teammates would run through a brick wall for the big fella.

7. Scott Pendlebury - classy player who always lifts when his team needs him.

8. Taylor Walker - drops down the list after a very poor grand final. Apparently is the standout leader at the crows, only chance to redeem himself would be to perform on the last Saturday in September.

9. Travis Boak - another inspiring leader although seemed to have an inconsistent last couple of years.

10. Shannon Hurn - mr dependable who has led the eagles for a few years.

11. Nathan Jones - another dual captain who bleeds for his club. Hopefully for his sake greener days are ahead for his team.

12. Nat Fyfe - elite player who has battled injury the last couple of years. Doesn’t come across as a natural leader and still growing in the role.

13. Dayne Beams - class player who by all reports is a very good captain.

14. Marc Murphy - another who doesn’t seem a natural leader who you’d think would hand over the captaincy to cripps in the next year or 2.

15. Jack Ziebel - no one could ever doubt this blokes courage although is guilty of sometimes doing silly things. No other standout replacement at the Kangas.

16. Jarryn Geary - apparently very well liked and probably the lowest profile of the afl captains.

17. Dyson Heppel - knockabout type who is very well liked. Has taken over the captaincy after a very tough few years for the club.

18. Tom Lynch/Steven May - don’t know much about their captaincy so have to rate them last.
In other words you created a thread to say that you think Taylor is s**t...love your work

:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Following on from the rate the coaches thread, thought I’d have a go at ranking the captains. Not an easy task however below is my list.

1. Joel Selwood - universally acknowledged as the best captain in the comp.

2. Trent Cotchin - who would have thought this 12 months ago however his 2017 was unbelievable, capped off by one of the most inspiring September’s you’d want to see from a captain. Battering ram.

3. Josh Kennedy - seems to be an inspiring type who leads with his actions.

4. Callan Ward - dual captain with Phil Davis however I rate him higher. Another inspirational skipper who always puts his body on the line.

5. Eastern Wood - led his team to a flag 18 months ago filling in for the injured bob Murphy. Very courageous player who you’d imagine would inspire, would want to have his teambounce back this year.

6. Jared Roughhead - only been skipper for a year so hard to judge however much loved by all so you’d think his teammates would run through a brick wall for the big fella.

7. Scott Pendlebury - classy player who always lifts when his team needs him.

8. Taylor Walker - drops down the list after a very poor grand final. Apparently is the standout leader at the crows, only chance to redeem himself would be to perform on the last Saturday in September.

9. Travis Boak - another inspiring leader although seemed to have an inconsistent last couple of years.

10. Shannon Hurn - mr dependable who has led the eagles for a few years.

11. Nathan Jones - another dual captain who bleeds for his club. Hopefully for his sake greener days are ahead for his team.

12. Nat Fyfe - elite player who has battled injury the last couple of years. Doesn’t come across as a natural leader and still growing in the role.

13. Dayne Beams - class player who by all reports is a very good captain.

14. Marc Murphy - another who doesn’t seem a natural leader who you’d think would hand over the captaincy to cripps in the next year or 2.

15. Jack Ziebel - no one could ever doubt this blokes courage although is guilty of sometimes doing silly things. No other standout replacement at the Kangas.

16. Jarryn Geary - apparently very well liked and probably the lowest profile of the afl captains.

17. Dyson Heppel - knockabout type who is very well liked. Has taken over the captaincy after a very tough few years for the club.

18. Tom Lynch/Steven May - don’t know much about their captaincy so have to rate them last.

A fair enough list I suppose however re Heppell, all I would say is that he lead his team to the finals in his first year as captain & sure, it wasn't the result EFC faithful wanted but given the recent past & the list upheaval, it was more than a fair effort. So 17th? Obviously I'd have him a bit higher;)

A fair enough list I suppose however re Heppell, all I would say is that he lead his team to the finals in his first year as captain & sure, it wasn't the result EFC faithful wanted but given the recent past & the list upheaval, it was more than a fair effort. So 17th? Obviously I'd have him a bit higher;)
Make you own list, interested in it. Someone has to be 16th, 17th, 18th.

I think the impact of individual captains is largely overstated and its more about the leadership and playing group's that make the difference. All the captains that teams currently have are pretty fine and there isn't that big a variation between them. Not the popular view I'm sure.

I think the impact of individual captains is largely overstated and its more about the leadership and playing group's that make the difference. All the captains that teams currently have are pretty fine and there isn't that big a variation between them. Not the popular view I'm sure.

Maybe not, but one I totally agree with

Make you own list, interested in it. Someone has to be 16th, 17th, 18th.

That's the issue with all these sort of things, only so many top 8 spots. Personally I would have had Hepp around 10th based on qualifying for finals in his first season but the late season fade out & final result detracted from the overall. I'd push Selwood down to 4th/5th based on his finals record as captain, Murphy & Fyfe to bottom 4 & squeeze Hepp in the middle there somewhere. Good list otherwise:thumbsu:

the only reason he was voted best captain was because of the death of phill walsh and being captain during that hard time and the other captains new how hard they must be doing it as a team i dont think it was coz tex was the stand out captain per say
You realise he has been voted best captain 2 years running, so that destroys your pitiful theory....

Actually, this thread, though it was derailed for a bit by trolling by some Tiger fans (for which I apologise) has got back on track. Some of the conversation re Selwood, after a silly start, has been quite good (despite the persistence of the "ducking" meme), I find comparing Selwood's career as captain to Cotchin's to be fascinating to be honest, though it's hard to come to a definitive conclusion. The problem is that the reason for the difficulty is the same as the reason for the fascination. Selwood was drafted into one of the strongest teams at the height of its glory and starred enough to race to the leadership just as the list was about to go into inevitable decline. Cotchin was drafted into a basket case and was forced to take on leadership just as the list was about to launch itself into finals, but still with serious holes, some of which particularly impacted on his ability to perform. It's no accident that his best year was 2012 - the year before he became captain.

For most of the last few years Selwood has had a reputation as the model captain courageous while Cotchin has been derided for his performance in finals, despite the fact that he has on many occasions led courageously during the home and away seasons. So now Tiger fans can't help but crow a bit about the contrasting fortunes of the two captains. It's not a good look I now, but it's understandable, given what we've had to read on these forums about our captain.

Can't be sneezed at.
Except that we beat Hawks in 16, Swans in 17.
Do or die games.
I seriously think we are simply not good enough to exert finals pressure for more than 1 game.
Thinking that Selwood's intensity, nervousness, demeanour during the week leads to the 21 other players following suit on match day is too long a bow for me.
Respect your thinking though.

Yeah, I've wondered sometimes about having a star player as captain, but I think the fact he's stayed captain for so long at a very well managed club says he's great at it.

I hope to see Mitch Duncan captain the Cats at some stage when he stops.

Yeah, I've wondered sometimes about having a star player as captain, but I think the fact he's stayed captain for so long at a very well managed club says he's great at it.

I hope to see Mitch Duncan captain the Cats at some stage when he stops.
I'd like to see James Parsons captain our team.
He needs to establish himself as a top 22 player firstly, of course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back