Rate the clubs' trade week

Remove this Banner Ad

hall for 47, bit of cash, but it was the only way he was going to play, happy we didnt bend over for anyone

halls a risk, but it was a risk to do it and a risk not to do it

kept everitt, happy with that

lake, dog for life

can't really find a fault with our week, other than not getting ablett and judd to our club

Bent Hawthorn over quite simply. Its not everyday a 27 yr old (with injury clouds) who is out of contract attracts two first rounders. Well played.
Just to be clear, Hawthorn gave up Williams and 9 for Burgoyne. The rest is between Port, Essendon and Geelong. In effect though Burgoyne netted Port pick 9 and an upgrade of their second rounder from 24 to 16.

It's amazing how people rate their own club high but stick the boots into other clubs. Take collingwood for example we got a ruckman who is in the top 3 in the league for a first and third round pick . We missed out on ball but didn't give away what we didn't want to lose. I think that's a win for us but some people think we only rate 3.5 out of 10. Maybe they should be more worried with who will kick their goals next year.

Adelaide
IN: None
OUT: None

Draft Picks: 13, 29, 45, 61, 77

7 - Why trade if you don't have to?

Brisbane
IN: Pick 27, Pick 47, Amon Buchanan, Xavier Clarke, Brendan Fevola, Andrew Raines, Brent Staker
OUT: Pick 12, Pick 28, Pick 44, Pick 60, Bradd Dalziell, Lachlan Henderson

Draft Picks: 27, 47, 76

6 - Not as enamoured by this collection as some. Fevola deal was theft

Carlton
IN: Pick 12, Lachlan Henderson, Brock McLean
OUT: Pick 11, Pick 27, Brendan Fevola

Draft Picks: 12, 43, 59, 75

6 - McLean deal a winner, gave Fev away in fire sale, but what choice did they have?

Collingwood
IN: Darren Jolly
OUT: Pick 14, Pick 46

Draft Picks: 30, 62, 78

7 - Getting Jolly excellent work. COuld have gone the extra mile to get Ball

Essendon
IN: Pick 24, Pick 33, Pick 89, Mark Williams
OUT: Pick 42, Pick 58, Andrew Lovett, Jay Nash

Draft Picks: 10, 24, 26, 33, 74, 89

9 - Traded two blokes they didn't want for (in the end) two second round picks and Mark Williams.

Fremantle
IN: Pick 48, Pick 49
OUT: Brett Peake, Marcus Drum

Draft Picks: 4, 20, 36, 48, 49, 52, 68

5 - Got low picks for guys who will do better elsewhere.

Geelong
IN: Pick 28, Pick 40, Pick 42, Pick 56, Marcus Drum
OUT: Pick 33, Pick 49, Pick 97, Shane Mumford

Draft Picks: 17, 28, 40, 42, 56, 65, 81

6 - Lost Mummy but helped Hawthorn land Burgoyne. Drum could be an interesting find.

Hawthorn
IN: Pick 39, Pick 46, Pick 58, Pick 69, Pick 70, Shaun Burgoyne, Josh Gibson
OUT: Pick 9, Pick 25, Pick 41, Pick 89, Josh P. Kennedy, Ben McGlynn, Mark Williams

Draft Picks: 39, 46, 57, 58, 69, 70, 73

7 - Paid full price for both their targets but lost a premiership forward and promising midfielder for better offers. Two players gained are best 18 when fit.

Melbourne
IN: Pick 11
OUT: Brock McLean

Draft Picks: 1, 2, 11, 18, 34, 50, 66

6 - Poor value for the time investment in McLean

North Melbourne
IN: Pick 25, Pick 41
OUT: Pick 69, Josh Gibson

Draft Picks: 5, 21, 25, 37, 41, 53

6 - Got full value and couldn't offload Jesse Smith. You test them BEFORE the trade, not complain about it for years afterwards. See how it works!

Port Adelaide
IN: Pick 9, Pick 16, Pick 97, Jay Nash, Jay Schulz
OUT: Pick 24, Pick 40, Pick 56, Pick 72, Shaun Burgoyne, Mitch Farmer

Draft Picks: 8, 9, 16, 88, 97

5 - Wowee. After telling everyone who would listen that pick 9 was a ticket in a poor lottery, they ultimately took the pick and one seven picks further back. Fair value bordering on overs. Apparently Hawthorn was grateful for mediation because someone couldn't keep their emotions in check. The only players they could convince to go to Alberton are s**t trucks.

Richmond
IN: Pick 44, Pick 72, Mitch Farmer
OUT: Andrew Raines, Jay Schulz

Draft Picks: 3, 19, 35, 44, 51, 67, 72

4 - Meh

St Kilda
IN: Pick 60, Andrew Lovett, Brett Peake
OUT: Pick 16, Pick 48, Xavier Clarke

Draft Picks: 32, 60, 64, 80

5 - Overpayed for Lovett and got Peake who will drive Kosi and Big Nick batshit with his delivery. Give away Clarke for practically nothing.

Sydney Swans
IN: Pick 14, Pick 55, Josh P. Kennedy, Ben McGlynn, Shane Mumford, Mark Seaby
OUT: Pick 22, Pick 70, Pick 118, Amon Buchanan, Barry Hall, Darren Jolly

Draft Picks: 6, 14, 38, 54, 55

8 - Very nice work. Two inside mids who will reward Swans fans over the next few years and a couple of rucks to replace Jolly. And two picks in the first round.

Western Bulldogs
IN: Barry Hall
OUT: Pick 47

Draft Picks: 15, 31, 63, 79

6 - OK

West Coast
IN: Pick 22, Pick 118, Bradd Dalziell
OUT: Pick 39, Pick 55, Mark Seaby, Brent Staker

6 - See Bulldogs

Draft Picks: 7, 22, 23, 71, 87, 103, 118

Adelaide: Nothing

Brisbane: 2/10, Voss was like a kid in a candy store. Stupid trades in Staker, Raines, Clarke and Buchanan - all spuds. Brought in club cancer in Fevola just before things get out of hand with his brownlow night. A disaster.

Carlton: 3/10, Were able to offload Fev but have gone from being a potential contender to complete pretender as a result. Mclean is a plodder.

Collingwood: 5/10, Paid a heavy price for a ruckman - the most overrated position in the game. Were too stubborn to get a deal done for what they actually need - a hard midfielder.

Essendon: 9/10, Williams is an absolute steal, offloaded a spud in Nash and were well compensated for Lovett.

Fremantle: 5/10, Meh. Their list still stinks but no real change.

Geelong: 8/10, Managed to hold onto their premiership side. Disappointed to lose Mumford.

Hawthorn: 7/10, Got the gun they were after and a good defender in Gibson. Offloaded two players outside their best 22 to Sydney - no loss. Didn't get a ruckman but will be right up there next year.

Melbourne: 7/10, Got over the odds for a plodder in Mclean. May get Ball for free in the PSD.

North Melbourne: 6/10, Did ok on the Gibson deal. Couldn't find a trade for Smith.

Port Adelaide: 6/10, Did well on Burgoyne. Nash and Shulz are the pits.

Richmond:5/10, Nothing of note.

St Kilda: 5/10, Lovett will boost our list. Peake will not. Couldn't sort a trade out for Ball.

Sydney: 1/10, Lost Jolly and in typical Sydney salary cap fashion paid big bucks for spuds in Seaby, Mumford, Kennedy and McGlynn - none of whom were in the best 22s of their sides.

Doggies: 8/10, Got BBBBH.

Eagles: 8/10, Dalziel can play. Seaby and Staker can not.

So :
Winner: Essendon
Loser: Sydney, Brisbane, Carlton

WTF! Sydney losers in the draft? They were one of the most successful.

Think Sydney did awesomely well
Thought Brisbane did very well too

I thought we did well with the burgoyne trade but the other 2... we paid too much for gibbo and got too lil for kennedy and mcglynn

soo... 5/10 for us :( but the fact that we got burgoyne who is one of my favorites... 10/10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On paper our trades might not look very even, but we have filled up our gaps and made out team stronger as a whole and also landed the players we intended to.

The only thing that im let down by is by pretty much giving away Kennedy for free, considering i doubt we will even be using those picks we received in return. I think they were intended to combine and offload to another team to gain a ruckman but didn't happen...

Either way, our team just got a tad bit stronger from this so im keen to see how we go next year.

The only thing that im let down by is by pretty much giving away Kennedy for free, considering i doubt we will even be using those picks we received in return.

You got pick 39 for Kennedy. Isn't this now your first pick in the draft? Hardly think you won't be using it.

I won't rate every team, as I can't predict the future, but if Shurgoyne plays as well as he can, Hawthorn will be more than happy with how the week went. The same could be said with Willo & Essendon.

I'm pretty happy with Bradd Dalziell & Picks 22/118.

Pick 118 should come in handy...

Adelaide: 8/10
- Did nothing, didn’t need to do anything

West Coast: 6/10
- Got a great deal for Seaby, WCE/Bris deal was a breakeven. Gained an extra 2nd round pick, yet lost its 3rd. Overall did reasonably well.

People should see the problem with this. Westcoast strengthened our position in the draft and Adelaide have come out on par.

Adelaide
n/a

Brisbane 3/10
Got bent over in the Fevola trade imo, 2nd round for buchanan is an absolute heresy. The rest will be delisted after two yearsl

Carlton 10/10
Royally ****ed Brisbane up. Henderson will be a great player + 12. Bit too much for McLean. Im he is worth 18-25

Collingwood 8/10
Did very well in the Jolly deal.

Essendon 7/10
Great pick for Lovett considering the circumstances. The Williams trade is also a decent one as in essence we got Williams,#24,#33 for #16,#42.

Fremantle 5/10
Neither here nor there.

Geelong 3/10
Did nothing to improve their side.

Hawthorn 1/10
Payed way over the odds for Burgoyne and gave Mcglynn and Kennedy away for next to Nothing. Gibson is not a KP. Did ok on Williams to earn a point.

Melbourne 8/10
Lose their future captain but gain a good pick.

North Melbourne 7/10
Did very well for Gibson.

Port Adelaide 8/10
Picked up two hacks in Nash and Shultz but gained 2 1st rounders for Burgoyne giving them 3 picks in the top 16.

Richmond 6/10
Did well on Raines. Not much else.

St Kilda 8/10
Finally got the type of player they required in Lovett and will win the 2009 Premiership because of it.

Sydney Swans 6/10
A lot of Action here. Bring in 2 ruckmen, 1 of them decent. Didnt do overly well in the week imo.

Western Bulldogs6/10
Gave away a late pick for a pasr champion, time will tell.

West Coast 7/10
Dalziell is a good player, and got the better end of the sydney deal.

Winner : Carlton
Loser : Hawthorn

For me a few things come into play. Doesn't matter what this trade rubbish looks like on paper, wasting your time looking at that. Look at who improved and what their list looks like now for 2010.

You also are stupid if you treat this draft like every other draft with GC coming in next year. Brisbane acted on that well.

Winners

Hawks: Their list looks awesome now with Burgoyne. What do they lose from Williams when they have Buddy and Roughead and Burgoyne will kickj a few goals. Chasing a premiership so draft picks don't matter.

Saints: Same situation as Hawks. Added one of the best attacking midfielders who also has pace to an already dominant team. Didn't lose Ball, will resign. Their list looks prime for 2010, again draft picks don't matter.

Melbourne: Didn't trade their picks, got another in return. After 2008, 2009 drafts they'll be rebuilding better than any other team. If they draft well, they'll be really good in a few yrs

Brisbane: Voss isn't stupid. He realised his team is inbetween rebuilding and being in the flag window. Instead of becoming a nothing club and getting 0 in return when GC comes in he's being smart. And when you look at their 2010 list, lol. Only team I see challenging Hawks, Dogs, Cats and Saints for top 4 along with maybe Crows.

Losers
Carlton, Collingwood, Bombers, Port
Broke even

All the rest...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda 8/10
Finally got the type of player they required in Lovett and will win the 2009 Premiership because of it.

I hope you mean 2010!! I watched us lose 2009 :eek: lucky Jimmy Barnes put a smile on my face afterwards with Khe Sanh @ the Centre Square function........

And its early days yet to rate a trade, how many people would have rubbished the trades Lyon has made at St Kilda or even the 225kg Stuart Dew gamble by the Hawks?

Time will be the best judge.....

Winner : Carlton
Loser : Hawthorn
time will tell of course, fwiw if weren't for our horror run with injuries this year williams would've been dropped, so I don't believe losing him and pick 9 for ,imo, an A grade mid is a bad deal

The winners were the teams that were involved securing either good draft picks or players to fill positions - Sydney, Bulldogs, Port, Saints, Essendon, Hawthorn.

The breakevens - Carlton, Eagles, North, Collingwood, Melbourne.

The losers were those who simply didn't get involved - Fremantle, Adelaide, to a lesser extent Geelong, sure the Cats don't need to improve, but they could have relieved some salary cap pressure.

Brisbane I think went a bit too far, trading away 2 players of the future as well as all their good picks in this draft. Risky move. But if they win a premiership in the next 3 or 4 years, they win, if they don't, they lose.

Port Adelaide
5 - Wowee. After telling everyone who would listen that pick 9 was a ticket in a poor lottery, they ultimately took the pick and one seven picks further back. Fair value bordering on overs. Apparently Hawthorn was grateful for mediation because someone couldn't keep their emotions in check. The only players they could convince to go to Alberton are s**t trucks.

Mmmm, look. This bullshit about $haun being our "best player" (Choco/Footy media, 2009) is exactly that. Steaming, in fact.

Never won a best and fairest, barely made the All-Australian team with an interchange position all of four seasons ago and has hardly got on the park in the past two years.

Two first round picks for him at 27? Sobbing, I am.

The real winners were the AFL because with so many players changing clubs they can continue to fight against free agency... Hopefully there will be enough of a furore over Ball not getting to Collingwood that something concrete will finally be stated regarding when free agency will be introduced!

Mmmm, look. This bullshit about $haun being our "best player" (Choco/Footy media, 2009) is exactly that. Steaming, in fact.

Never won a best and fairest, barely made the All-Australian team with an interchange position all of four seasons ago and has hardly got on the park in the past two years.

Quality post. Most accurate summation. :D

Given the Blues entered the week openly shopping Fevola, I'm calling the week a really successful one.

Blues have essentially shipped Fev and #27 for McLean and Henderson, plus moving down one spot in the first round.

That's a hard inside midfielder we needed (McLean) who is experienced but only 23, and a raw, talented 19yo KPP in Henderson. I think that's a great outcome, especially given how it was looking on Thursday.

Doesn't make us a better team for Rnd 1 2010, but will make us a better team in the medium-to-long-term.

Hawthorn got the two players they wanted and let go three guys that we didn't think were worth what they were being offered elsewhere.

I think we did a really good job.

I pity the teams that are going to try and rebuild from this draft.

Adelaide: 0, didn't do much and have a reputation of not doing much.
Brisbane: 8, Voss has rolled the dice and is looking for short term success. I think how he has put the ball in his court and run with it. Time will tell, though.
Collingwood: 7, picked up a great ruckmen which fills their needs. Should've pulled the trigger on Ball but would do you do?
Carlton: 8, picked up McLean to help Judd play more outside, got a good deal for Fev given the timeframe.
Essendon: 7, needed a forward who can kick goals next year and secured a few mid round draft picks.
Fremantle: 7, didn't do much but held onto draft picks. Good enough for a rebuilding side.
Geelong: 7, lost Mumford but have plenty of chances of picking up a young ruckmen in the draft.
Hawthorn: 8, paid a bit over for two players but right in the premiership window and can use both Gibson and especially Jr for a tilt. If Jr is fit, he will ignite the Hawks. This drafting week could go down in memory for the Hawkers if Jr runs riot.
Melbourne: 8, like Fremantle, got plenty of picks and if they draft well, it will be massive. They will more than likely pick up two elite midfielders but if they nail, the other two early picks, will be well on the way to climbing back up the ladder given last year's draft haul and even Luke Ball coming on.
North Melbourne: 6, reasonable trading period. Gibson went and they will hope to uncover something nice at 25 for it.
Port Adelaide: 9, given our young list, those draft picks will go a long way. We got both Jay's but we have been trying for them for a while so Choco might really like them. He's known for resurrecting careers and cannot be happier with 8, 9 and 16. I would have given us a 10 if we kept our second rounder.
Richmond: 6, Good luck to Farmer. I hope he does well. Given they traded Raines, he might get a bit of an opportunity. The rest is nothing major, midrange picks at best.
St.Kilda: 8, Peake and more obviously, Lovett will be great acquisations for the Saints. They play that high octane football and both of these players, if they put their hearts and minds into it, will really flourish as they have that pace to tackle, tackle, tackle, like St Kilda do. Lovett will have plenty to give off the half back line and Peake has something to give too.
Sydney: 9, they always do well. Sydney seems to play fair and get deals done. Roos has his gameplan and I'm sure most of these recruits will adapt easily. Nice work in getting a replacement for Jolly even though I think they could've gotten a bit more for him. Two first rounders and a plethora of guys who can play in his system.
Western Bulldogs: 6, filled an obvoius need but Hall is a bit over the hill and prone to stupidity. I would;ve liked to have seen them go after Fevola. Their recruitment is usually very good so picks are all good for them.
West Coast: 7, picked up Razzle Dazzle who had an off year and should help our their young midfield and upgraded a third rounder for a second rounder. Not a lot to see here.

Overall, I think the drafting period was one of the better ones and there seemed to be a lot of win/win scenarios where rebuilding teams offloaded guys for picks like Port Adelaide, Melbourne and Fremantle and teams in their premiership window added more players to take a crack at Geelong like St Kilda, Hawthorn, Western Bulldogs andCollingwood and then you have a few crazy moves like Brisbane and Carlton who rocked the boat.

Good luck to Vossy. I hope the moves pay off.

Onwards to the Draft. Cannot wait.

Classy. Are you Peter Rohde?

Wait till you see Jay Nash cut it up. You'll have to patient, mind you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back