Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

two up

Cancelled
May 13, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rate the Norm Smith Medallists (2000-2015)

This is a pretty simple venture; rate the Norm Smith performances of the last 15 years. I started at 2000 only because this is when I remember watching and taking notice of Grand Final performances, feel free to add extra years.

The Norm Smith is an interesting medal, and not all are created equal. Some matches are fizzers when a truly brilliant performance is hard to find, whilst some are epic performances befitting the occasion.

Here is my list.

1. Lenny Hayes (2010)

An astonishing 12 tackles, 32 disposals and 1 epic goal on tiring legs in the last quarter. This was the epitome of trying to drag your side over the line. Amazingly, I thought Goddard was even better. Supercoach ranking of 174, which was coincidentally the same amount he got in replay.

2. Paul Chapman (2009)

Didn’t just kick the sealer, scored a quarter of his teams goals in a low scoring affair.

3. Jimmy Bartel (2011)

This wasn’t so much about sustained excellence throughout a tough contest, but making the most of opportunities. Was brilliant when the Cats needed him most when the game seemed like it was slipping.

4. Chris Judd (2005)

Game high disposals, but more the manner in which he got them. Clearly the Eagles best.

5. Nathan Buckley (2002)

Would be rated higher obviously with a Pie victory, and also I thought Voss got the better of him the final 15 minutes. Epic performance though.

6. Luke Hodge (2008)

Was brilliant all day and was the catalyst for the famous victory. Would have had higher, but I thought had the Cats got 2 goals closer, Ablett would have got the medal.

7. Simon Black (2003)

Amazing performance in a very, very dull Grand Final. Clearly the best on ground getting 39 disposals, which is a Grand Final record.

8. Andrew Embley (2006)

Underrated Grand Final and underrated performance. 2 goals and 26 disposals and featured in some key moments in a thrilling game.

9. Ryan O’Keefe (2012)

Could have made an argument for a number of players, but 15 tackles and 29 disposals in a close Grand Final is a terrific performance in anyone’s book.

10.James Hird (2000)

Didn’t do a great deal, and in my opinion Barnard would have got the medal had he spent more time on the ground. In a game he simply had to perform though, he was certainly in the top few.

11.Byron Pickett (2004)

Consistent all game and added a tough edge against the experienced Lions. Burgoyne best for mine.

12.Steve Johnson (2007)

Your team wins by 20 goals, the medal could go to any number. I think Scarlett was the best for what it’s worth.

13.Shaun Hart (2001)

Solid performance is what can be said about this one. Bombers seemed to put more effort into his more well known team mates.

14.Brian Lake (2013)

Had a lot of intercept marks when Dockers were making a bit of a run, but again their were several better on the day. Lewis especially robbed.

15.Luke Hodge (2014)

Did everything required, which wasn’t actually that much considering the pea hearted Swans performance.

16.Cyril Rioli (2015)

Set the Hawks up with 2 excellent goals early, but not a great deal after that. At least 4 Hawks clearly better on the day.

17.Scott Pendlbury (2010)

Could throw a blanket over half a dozen Pies on this day. Not that he was bad, just didn’t really do that much, and didn’t need to. Supercoach ranking of 87.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Rate the Norm Smith Medallists (2000-2015)

This is a pretty simple venture; rate the Norm Smith performances of the last 15 years. I started at 2000 only because this is when I remember watching and taking notice of Grand Final performances, feel free to add extra years.

The Norm Smith is an interesting medal, and not all are created equal. Some matches are fizzers when a truly brilliant performance is hard to find, whilst some are epic performances befitting the occasion.

Here is my list.

1. Lenny Hayes (2010)

An astonishing 12 tackles, 32 disposals and 1 epic goal on tiring legs in the last quarter. This was the epitome of trying to drag your side over the line. Amazingly, I thought Goddard was even better. Supercoach ranking of 174, which was coincidentally the same amount he got in replay.

2. Paul Chapman (2009)

Didn’t just kick the sealer, scored a quarter of his teams goals in a low scoring affair.

3. Jimmy Bartel (2011)

This wasn’t so much about sustained excellence throughout a tough contest, but making the most of opportunities. Was brilliant when the Cats needed him most when the game seemed like it was slipping.

4. Chris Judd (2005)

Game high disposals, but more the manner in which he got them. Clearly the Eagles best.

5. Nathan Buckley (2002)

Would be rated higher obviously with a Pie victory, and also I thought Voss got the better of him the final 15 minutes. Epic performance though.

6. Luke Hodge (2008)

Was brilliant all day and was the catalyst for the famous victory. Would have had higher, but I thought had the Cats got 2 goals closer, Ablett would have got the medal.

7. Simon Black (2003)

Amazing performance in a very, very dull Grand Final. Clearly the best on ground getting 39 disposals, which is a Grand Final record.

8. Andrew Embley (2006)

Underrated Grand Final and underrated performance. 2 goals and 26 disposals and featured in some key moments in a thrilling game.

9. Ryan O’Keefe (2012)

Could have made an argument for a number of players, but 15 tackles and 29 disposals in a close Grand Final is a terrific performance in anyone’s book.

10.James Hird (2000)

Didn’t do a great deal, and in my opinion Barnard would have got the medal had he spent more time on the ground. In a game he simply had to perform though, he was certainly in the top few.

11.Byron Pickett (2004)

Consistent all game and added a tough edge against the experienced Lions. Burgoyne best for mine.

12.Steve Johnson (2007)

Your team wins by 20 goals, the medal could go to any number. I think Scarlett was the best for what it’s worth.

13.Shaun Hart (2001)

Solid performance is what can be said about this one. Bombers seemed to put more effort into his more well known team mates.

14.Brian Lake (2013)

Had a lot of intercept marks when Dockers were making a bit of a run, but again their were several better on the day. Lewis especially robbed.

15.Luke Hodge (2014)

Did everything required, which wasn’t actually that much considering the pea hearted Swans performance.

16.Cyril Rioli (2015)

Set the Hawks up with 2 excellent goals early, but not a great deal after that. At least 4 Hawks clearly better on the day.

17.Scott Pendlbury (2010)

Could throw a blanket over half a dozen Pies on this day. Not that he was bad, just didn’t really do that much, and didn’t need to. Supercoach ranking of 87.
Would like to see the Supercoach scores for some of the earlier winners not shown here. Ablett, for example in 89. i agree, of these Hayes is the best performance, but Goddard was better on the day. Hayes probably deserves it from a dual game perspective though. I'd consider O'Keefe in the best few of the above-mentioned.

Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Goddard 2010 I still rank at no. 1, but he didn't win the medal

1. Black (2003)
2. Hayes (2010)
3. Hodge (2008)
4. Hodge (2014)
5. Chapman (2009)
6. Bartel (2011)
7. O'Keefe (2012)
8. Pickett (2004)
9. Embley (2006)
10. Buckley (2002)
11. Johnson (2007)
12. Hird (2000)
13. Judd (2005)
14. Rioli (2015)
15. Pendlebury (2010)
16. Hart (2001)
17. Lake (2013)

That's how I see it, but mostly going off memory, so players like Hart, Hird and Pendles (I'd had a few too many in the 2010 replay) could have performed better than I recall.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Goddard 2010 I still rank at no. 1, but he didn't win the medal

1. Black (2003)
2. Hayes (2010)
3. Hodge (2008)
4. Hodge (2014)
5. Chapman (2009)
6. Bartel (2011)
7. O'Keefe (2012)
8. Pickett (2004)
9. Embley (2006)
10. Buckley (2002)
11. Johnson (2007)
12. Hird (2000)
13. Judd (2005)
14. Rioli (2015)
15. Pendlebury (2010)
16. Hart (2001)
17. Lake (2013)

That's how I see it, but mostly going off memory, so players like Hart, Hird and Pendles (I'd had a few too many in the 2010 replay) could have performed better than I recall.
There were no Hird heroics in 2000 like some other performers, he was just the player with the most quality on the day. So it's fair to rank his performance where it is. Pendlebury was much the same. I'd rate Rioli a bit higher as he did some heroic things that lit them up. O'Keefe, likewise did some incredibly tough, heroic things that inspired his team on the day much like Hayes and Goddard did (if I were a Saints fan, I'd struggle to ever get over losing that one. The 2 best performances from players in a GF probably since Ablett in 89, and they still couldn't get over the line).

Shannon Grant (99) would be up there with one of the least memorable Norms in probably the most forgettable GF of the last 25 years.

I've never watched the replay but looking back at the stats how did Peter Bell not get it? 30 touches + 4 goals - were most of his goals in junk time?

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
This is a hard list. I'll leave this here for now. Black and Bartel were clear standouts. I'm not sure how to differentiate the others?

Simon Black - Not even a b double could stop him getting the ball.

Jimmy Bartel - Was always hard underneath the pack, the played pretty much as a chf later on.

Provisional and not in order.

Goddard> Hayes
Chapman was great. But in my mind, not clearly better than Rooke.
Judd is probably 3. But WC lost, so it kind of doesn't count for me.
Buckley would be at the bottom. He has Voss' medal.
Hodge in 08? Yeah right! Loose man in defence wins NS? Hawthorn best players were wearing blue & white hoops. Good bloke Hodge.
Embley I remember being everywhere, and was my pick prior to it being announced. Most likely top half.
O'Keefe was a worthy winner. I'd have given it to McVeigh. Hannebery there as well.
They were never giving the NS to Blumfield over Hird no matter what.
I don't remember anything particularly remarkable from Pickett.
Johnson. Yeah why not? Geelong overall were get. They would've won without him.
Hart. Fair enough.
Lake was worth it. Didn't bother me that my pick Gunston did not get it.
Hodge in 14? Mitchell was robbed. Clear BOG.
Pendlebury.I don't remember him being particularly remarkable. I stopped watching 5 mins into the 2nd half.
Rioli was great in the first half. Stooped watching 5mins into the 4th. No Reason to change it.

Mar 21, 2008
FNQ
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Devils, Tigers & Jackjumpers
Hodge. Hayes had relatively inferior opposition to deal with - Hodge had the 21-1 Cats. Forget Ablett - saying he'd get the medal if the team got 2 goals closer is a rather weird comment - maybe if HE got the goals, sure...! Hodge had direct command over his troops, and under his leadership (not just his example) - never mind enough possessions to call it a good day regardless - the team weathered the tough stuff and then took control. Regularly got in the ear of his own team mates all day and kept them on task - that great shot of him ear-bashing Campbell Brown, who just lapped it up like he was being reprimanded by God, said it all.

We make the mistake of equating Supercoach points and AFL Tables stats with an accurate representation of a player's true worth to a particular match. Hodge beats Ablett, simple as that. Cyril's performance could be equated to the guy who scores 80 off 40 balls at the start of a big run chase and allows the rest of the batsmen, including a later century maker, to control the innings much more easily at 5-6 runs an over - that guy often deservedly gets MOTM, and that guy was Cyril last year...definitely rates ahead of anyone you've commented on above with the words along the lines of "there were better players on the day", who racked up some numbers without the moments...not top ten, but certainly not second last...!

And Voss...this is why they will never collect the votes until the game is finished ever again...daylight robbery, pure and simple...had Buckley matched even before he won the game for Brisbane...

two up

Cancelled
May 13, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hodge. Hayes had relatively inferior opposition to deal with - Hodge had the 21-1 Cats. Forget Ablett - saying he'd get the medal if the team got 2 goals closer is a rather weird comment - maybe if HE got the goals, sure...! Hodge had direct command over his troops, and under his leadership (not just his example) - never mind enough possessions to call it a good day regardless - the team weathered the tough stuff and then took control. Regularly got in the ear of his own team mates all day and kept them on task - that great shot of him ear-bashing Campbell Brown, who just lapped it up like he was being reprimanded by God, said it all.

We make the mistake of equating Supercoach points and AFL Tables stats with an accurate representation of a player's true worth to a particular match. Hodge beats Ablett, simple as that. Cyril's performance could be equated to the guy who scores 80 off 40 balls at the start of a big run chase and allows the rest of the batsmen, including a later century maker, to control the innings much more easily at 5-6 runs an over - that guy often deservedly gets MOTM, and that guy was Cyril last year...definitely rates ahead of anyone you've commented on above with the words along the lines of "there were better players on the day", who racked up some numbers without the moments...not top ten, but certainly not second last...!

And Voss...this is why they will never collect the votes until the game is finished ever again...daylight robbery, pure and simple...had Buckley matched even before he won the game for Brisbane...

I guess i'm saying there was no way they'd give it to a gut who's team lost by 5 goals. I think that this was similar to the last game he played for the Cats when they were pummelled by the Pies, but he was best on by a mile. My personal opinion on that day he was the best player on the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Hodge '08 quite simply for me, if he didn't play, Hawthorn wouldn't have won.

Bartel, kicked 3 goals, all different and all at crucial points in the game.

Black, on the day when I watched it, I didn't notice him that much, I thought Aker should have got it. Once I'd watched a replay it was clear why it was awarded to Black. The only reason I didn't have him at 1 is because I didn't think he was as crucial to the final result as Hodge and Bartel were.

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ffs, Hayes in '10, really?
He played a very good game but in the end it was ineffectual as there was no result.
I voted Hodge in 08', closely followed by Hodge in 14'. A better captains game in a Grand Final was hard to find.

two up

Cancelled
May 13, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sizzle had it won by half way through the second quarter.

Why are people nominating Hayes, when he couldn't even get his own mob over the line?....Shouldn't the NSM go to the difference maker!
The game was a draw. By that logic you think no one should have got it?

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba
1. Black (2003)
(Akermanis 2003)
2. Hayes (2010)
3. Bartel (2011)
4. Hodge (2008)
5. Chapman (2009)
6. Hodge (2014)
7. Pickett (2004)
8. Embley (2006)
9. Johnson (2007)
10. Pendlebury (2010)
11. O'Keefe (2012)
12. Rioli (2015)
13. Lake (2013)
14. Judd (2005)

I can't remember the 2000-02 well enough to judge. Akermanis (2003), Scarlett (2007) and Goddard (2010) deserve honourable mentions despite not winning the medal.

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba
Sizzle had it won by half way through the second quarter.

Why are people nominating Hayes, when he couldn't even get his own mob over the line?....Shouldn't the NSM go to the difference maker!

The result shouldn't matter when it comes to judging how well a player played. Ablett in 89 is a perfect example. You can't tell me there was a better player on the ground that day.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
The result shouldn't matter when it comes to judging how well a player played. Ablett in 89 is a perfect example. You can't tell me there was a better player on the ground that day.

No I can't....But Ablett was the difference that day in turning what would otherwise have been a rout, into a nail-biter....He alone turned it into the best Grand Final, these past 30 years....Goddard was every bit as influential as Hayes in the draw of 2010.

The result matters when comparing the performance to other great Norm Smith performances. I too am surprised that Hayes' performance is being held in such high regard by all here. I don't even think he was the clear cut best player on the ground on the day, Goddard wasn't far behind and Nick Maxwell and Dale Thomas not far behind them either.

Black in 2003 and Hodge in 2008 are the two stand outs from the last 15 years IMO.

Back