Movie Rate the Ridley Scott directed movies

Remove this Banner Ad

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wonder what sought of childhood he must of had, to make movies about monsters and killing people in all sorts of horrible ways.

Pretty sick mind.

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Alien Covenant is so underrated. Really like that film.

The Martian is probably my favourite film of his.

Couldn't get into Blade Runner. Missed the boat on that one.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Alien and bladerunner are massively overrated.

Gladiator and the martian are his best. Thelma and louise is not my thing so i wont rate that.
Gladiator & Martian are his 2 most normie movies really, giving-back blockbusters. There is a great deal of Ridley in them, but they are among his least distinct/auteurist works. As a result, they both hit a 8/10 ceiling with me.

Bigjobss

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 7, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Alien and Blade Runner will always have a special place in my heart, loved both as a teenager and will rewatch them every couple of yesrs. They both manage to create such truly immersive worlds in a way few films can. Didn't mind Prometheus and Covenant, still better than most sci-fi trash that gets released these days but overall fairly forgettable.

Unpopular opinion incoming - can't stand Gladiator, too cheesy for me to get into.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
There are many stories about Scott tampering with scripts to their detriment. There was a script called Nottingham which was the hottest thing in Hollywood, with multiple studios bidding for it; it was an alternative take on the Robin Hood story. Anyway, Scott was hired to direct and gutted it and got multiple writers to provide multiple rewrites. The result was the dreck that was Robin Hood. There are several articles about it, if you're interested. Just Google "Nottingham script."

I got round to watching Robin Hood today. The visuals are good. Crowe, Blanchett, Von Sydow, Hurt have great screen presence. There's sieges on castles, horses charging around etc. But the script is terrible.

The characters are badly written. Robin goes from humble archer to army leading cavalryman without even a montage to justify it. Then making speeches to kings because he closes his eyes for a second and remembers his dad devised the Magna Carta! King John goes from evil tyrant to good king back to evil tyrant. We never know anything about the French King Philip.

There were a lot of eye rolling moments like why did no one in Nottingham recognise that Robin wasn't Sir Robert Loxley? But the most silly was the battle on the beach. You get WWII Normandy style landing craft, Cate Blanchett on horseback wielding a giant sword, the kids of the forest on their ponies taking on the French army. What a mess.

3/10

STFU Donnie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Chiefs Kingdom
And the very idea that Magna Carta would be written during the reign of Henry II is preposterous! Henry was adored by his barons. Magna Carta came about as a direct result of the tyranny of John.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was Scott that rejected the word android from the original Philip K Dick story. I liked the ambiguity that Deckard could have been a replicant. He probably f’ed up to include the voice over but he redeemed himself with the Director's Cut.

The Roy Batty death scene was in the script but Hauer changed the words in the table read and Scott was wise enough to leave it in. I'm neutral on the doves lol.

If I recall correctly, the studio asked Scott to add the voiceover. Neither Scott nor Ford wanted to do it, which is why it came across as incredibly flat. If anyone is interested, there is a book that goes into great detail on the production of Blade Runner.

It is my all time favourite movie and based on a book that is in my top five favourite books of all time. Interestingly, Philip K Dick, who wrote the book, hated the idea of it being turned into a movie, until he saw a pre release print and left the theatre telling Scott that he had captured exactly what Dick was aiming for in the book.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Gladiator & Martian are his 2 most normie movies really, giving-back blockbusters. There is a great deal of Ridley in them, but they are among his least distinct/auteurist works. As a result, they both hit a 8/10 ceiling with me.

Harsh. Blockbusterish but the execution of those elements is sublime and utterly unique. Best pacing or blend of story/action/character ever to grace the screen.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
The Last Duel (2021).

I quite liked Matt Damon, sporting a mullet and a stick-on beard, as 14th century knight Sir Jean de Carrouges. Jodie Comer was good though she didn't have a great deal to work with. Ben Affleck was not convincing as a blonde haired, evil Count. The presence of Damon and Affleck together in a medieval romp made it feel like Good Will Jousting.

The production values were excellent as you would expect from Ridley. But the script written by Damon, Affleck and Nicole Holofcener lets it down. The first half hour is confusing as it sketches over quite a lot of material, but then it covers the same events twice more through different people's eyes, Rashomon style. As a result it ends up overly long and it doesn't flow well.

6/10

Love Bladerunner, 2049 was surprisingly good and more than holds its own to original. Aliens and Gladiator were good. Huge fan of Prometheus

Really looking forward to Kitbag next year …his movie on Napoleon with Joaquin Phoenix in the lead role.

Apparently plans to do Gladiator 2 after that …script mostly done

STFU Donnie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Chiefs Kingdom
Love Bladerunner, 2049 was surprisingly good and more than holds its own to original. Aliens and Gladiator were good. Huge fan of Prometheus

Really looking forward to Kitbag next year …his movie on Napoleon with Joaquin Phoenix in the lead role.

Apparently plans to do Gladiator 2 after that …script mostly done

Hopefully he had minimal (or no) input.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Gladiator 2 has always been a dodgy idea, I find it unlikely Scott would come back to direct it unless the story was really good and thematically relevant to him, he'd probably help develop or produce instead or something (like Bladerunner 2049). The man's 84 now and still has a passion project or two in him like a Battle of Britain remake. House of Gucci had been in the pipeline for him since the 2000s. Ridley is deep into the twilight stage of his career, just let him do the few films he wants to do imo, I'd prefer an AI Artificial Intelligence type situation where he develops the film further for a few months in between directing projects but ultimately someone else does it down the track posthumously.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I've been obsessed with him in recent years. Viewed his films 40 times since last December alone, seen most of these a couple times at least.

1. Blade Runner 10/10
2. Alien 10/10
3. The Duellists 10/10
4. Legend 9.5/10
5. Thelma & Louise 9/10
6. Kingdom of Heaven 9/10
7. Alien Covenant 9/10
8. Matchstick Men 8.5/10
9. Someone to Watch Over Me 8.5/10
10. The Counselor 8.5/10

11. The Last Duel 8/10
12. White Squall 8/10
13. Black Rain 8/10
14. The Martian 8/10
15. Gladiator 8/10
16. Black Hawk Down 7.5/10
17. 1492: Conquest of Paradise 7.5/10
18. All the Money in the World 7.5/10
19. American Gangster 7/10
20. Body of Lies 7/10

21. Prometheus 7/10
22. Exodus: Gods and Kings 7/10
23. Hannibal 7/10
GI Jane 7/10
A Good Year 7/10
26. Robin Hood 6/10

Possibly my favourite living director, although PTA, Weir & Leigh are all up there for me as well.
Updated in bold. Seen Last Duel (twice), and also revisited Hannibal and GI Jane (twice) which I hadn't seen since period of release. Might try and see House of Gucci in January.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Alien Covenant deserves a 1/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back