Pulp Fiction
Jackie Brown
Kill Bill Vol 2
Inglourious Basterds
Django Unchained
Death Proof
The Hateful Eight
Reservoir Dogs

Who else have you watched all or most of their work?

Kubrick (still haven't seen Lolita)
Zemeckis(haven't seen his earliest or latest one)
Cameron
Kevin Smith (don't know if I've seen latest because he just makes garbage now)
Michael Bay....
John Hughes
Miyazki
Spielberg
George Lucas!
John Carpenter (except his latest)
Most of Ridley and Tony Scott
Most Nolan (Insomnia never pops up on TV or streaming)

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
The only Ridley Scott film I haven't seen is 1492: Conquest of Paradise. Robin Hood is his least precious but still an easy 6/10. That's 24/25, and I've seen most of them several times. I'd give at least 20 of them 7/10 or higher. Scorsese has comparable reliability, of the 22 fictional features I've seen (almost all of them) the only one I wouldn't give at least a 7/10 is New York, New York.

I've seen everything Peter Weir has done, including his shorts. His features are all decent like Tarantino, but he has a couple more. Weir's worst once he got going in the early 70s was still pretty great.

I'll set up a similar thread for Ridley Scott.

Peter Weir's work is so good. The Truman Show probably his best with Dead Poet's Society not far behind.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I'll set up a similar thread for Ridley Scott.

Peter Weir's work is so good. The Truman Show probably his best with Dead Poet's Society not far behind.
My top 5 is:
1. Picnic at Hanging Rock
2. Gallipoli
3. Master & Commander
4. The Last Wave
^these could really be in any order
5. The Truman Show

Then there is a little drop to Green Card & Witness, and the rest are 7.5s.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I definitely liked KB2 a lot more until my early 20s.

Then one day I returned to KB1 and was totally blown away by the glorious cineaste pastiche. His most impressive and note perfect film (even if I prefer JB).

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Not really a Tarantino fan.

Reservoir Dogs - never seen
Pulp Fiction - never seen
Jackie Brown -never seen
Kill Bill: Vol. 1 8/10
Kill Bill: Vol. 2 7/10
Death Proof 7/10
Inglourious Basterds 8/10
Django Unchained 6/10
The Hateful Eight 6/10
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - never seen

Sketi

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2011
depreston
AFL Club
Sydney
It seems reasonably common for people to have watched all his movies. That's probably rare for directors that have made more than just a few, and is a testament to the quality he has produced over the years. I can't think of another director where I've watched all his/her work. If I made a similar list for other great directors, like Ridley Scott or Francis Ford Coppola, there would be some really high ratings but plenty of gaps.

Who else have you watched all or most of their work?
It's true. Seen the majority of:

Fincher
Paul Thomas Anderson
Nolan
Kubrick

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Too hard to rate for me as some of his older ones I just haven’t seen since their release so can’t remember well.

Pulp fiction is my favourite and I really liked Inglorious Basterds too, followed by Kill Bill, I remember really liking that.

Then I dunno after that, throw a blanket. Hateful 8 probably my least liked, was just too slow but it still had its moments.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Despite TheGreatBarryB 's counter, i fullly stand by my judgement that tarantino's films are shallow. the GUTS of his stories are just show, window-dressing, fast-food-like. They're meant to shock and awe you, like a cheap momentary thrill as you see in horror movies with the typical jump-scare type stuff. Whereas there are horror movies that grip you inside, settle beneath the surface of your consciousness for years. Tarantino's movies do not have any great impact on you, they might be memorable in cinema, but theyre just meant to entertain you for the 2-3 hrs youre there.

I don't think his movies are deep in that they don't inform about the human condition or have an underlying message. That's not what he's about. But his movies have had a big impact. Pulp Fiction was a game changer. Dozens of movies have tried to emulate it and have failed. Almost every scene is amazing.

Movie dialog is hard to write well but he is a genius at it. He mostly doesn't use dialog to progress the plot but instead uses it to create a whole scene, lay the groundwork for another scene, or establish character. His casting is imaginative and he gets the best from his actors.

His movies are very rewatchable. And many of his scenes are highly memorable. Just a few off the top of my head

Reservoir Dogs - Stuck in the Middle with You plus ear chopping.
Pulp Fiction - Royale with cheese.
Pulp Fiction - Christopher Walken gold watch.
Pulp Fiction - John Travolta and Uma Thurman at the diner.
Pulp Fiction - Harvey Keitel the cleaner.
Pulp Fiction - Marsellus and Butch car crash followed by the hillbilly pawn shop, rape and gimp etc.
Inglorious Basterds - Christoph Waltz the Jew hunter talking to the farmer.
Jackie Brown - final scene as she drives away with the money.
Kill Bill 1 - Uma Thurman wakes up from the coma.
Kill Bill 2 - Uma Thurman fight with Daryl Hannah
Django Unchained - The right n1gger

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't think his movies are deep in that they don't inform about the human condition or have an underlying message. That's not what he's about. But his movies have had a big impact. Pulp Fiction was a game changer. Dozens of movies have tried to emulate it and have failed. Almost every scene is amazing.

Movie dialog is hard to write well but he is a genius at it. He mostly doesn't use dialog to progress the plot but instead uses it to create a whole scene, lay the groundwork for another scene, or establish character. His casting is imaginative and he gets the best from his actors.

His movies are very rewatchable. And many of his scenes are highly memorable. Just a few off the top of my head

Reservoir Dogs - Stuck in the Middle with You plus ear chopping.
Pulp Fiction - Royale with cheese.
Pulp Fiction - Christopher Walken gold watch.
Pulp Fiction - John Travolta and Uma Thurman at the diner.
Pulp Fiction - Harvey Keitel the cleaner.
Pulp Fiction - Marsellus and Butch car crash followed by the hillbilly pawn shop, rape and gimp etc.
Inglorious Basterds - Christoph Waltz the Jew hunter talking to the farmer.
Jackie Brown - final scene as she drives away with the money.
Kill Bill 1 - Uma Thurman wakes up from the coma.
Kill Bill 2 - Uma Thurman fight with Daryl Hannah
Django Unchained - The right n1gger
i don't disagree that his movies, individual scenes, are memorable, iconic in world cinema. but he aint no heavy weight. hes very "pulp fiction" himself, to borrow the phrase.its whizz bang superficial entertainment.

but i do disagree that he writes good lines hes so lame, cliched

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
i don't disagree that his movies, individual scenes, are memorable, iconic in world cinema. but he aint no heavy weight. hes very "pulp fiction" himself, to borrow the phrase.its whizz bang superficial entertainment.

but i do disagree that he writes good lines hes so lame, cliched

A great movie is a few very good scenes and none or little bad scenes. He's written several movies who qualify.

I strongly disagree that is dialog is lame and cliched. He's one of the best, if not the best, in the business.

Who are you comparing him against? His worst movie is better than the best Star Wars movie.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
A great movie is a few very good scenes and none or little bad scenes. He's written several movies who qualify.

I strongly disagree that is dialog is lame and cliched. He's one of the best, if not the best, in the business.

Who are you comparing him against? His worst movie is better than the best Star Wars movie.
i dont like Star Wars. And obviously if youre going to compare Tarantino's work you look to other big name iconic directors, not a movie franchise.

Jackie Brown
Death Proof
Inglorious Basterds
The Hateful Eight

Django Unchained
Pulp Fiction
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Reservoir Dogs

Kill Bill Vol. 1

Kill Bill Vol. 2

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
i dont like Star Wars.

i like it, but you dont compare space fun opera movies to big iconic director movies. apples and oranges. im a big fan of movies, all genres, directors, 1950s onwards, so to just label me a star wars nerd or lover only is incredibly insulting :(

I guess you need to work out if you like Star Wars or not. You seem to start and contribute quite few threads about it. I didn't label you a star wars nerd or lover only.

Given your criticism, I asked who are you comparing Tarantino against?

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I guess you need to work out if you like Star Wars or not. You seem to start and contribute quite few threads about it. I didn't label you a star wars nerd or lover only.

Given your criticism, I asked who are you comparing Tarantino against?
i like SW franchise
i like Rocky/Rambo franchise
i like Kubrick
i like Tarantino
i like other big name directors and franchises
basically i like all movies, love the movie format, even bad films and directors i dont like much i still enjoy.
but...i can critique them all and judge them, rate them, even criticize them for lacking this or that, or being this or that.

and im not stupid to compare apples and oranges.

as i said, i like tarantino movies, theyre very entertaining and full of action, iconic scenes and lines, but i do think tarantino is light weight in terms of depth and meaning, thats his thing, to be entertaining and "pulp fiction", whereas other directors have other agendas or styles.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
i like SW franchise
i like Rocky/Rambo franchise
i like Kubrick
i like Tarantino
i like other big name directors and franchises
basically i like all movies, love the movie format, even bad films and directors i dont like much i still enjoy.
but...i can critique them all and judge them, rate them, even criticize them for lacking this or that, or being this or that.

and im not stupid to compare apples and oranges.

as i said, i like tarantino movies, theyre very entertaining and full of action, iconic scenes and lines, but i do think tarantino is light weight in terms of depth and meaning, thats his thing, to be entertaining and "pulp fiction", whereas other directors have other agendas or styles.
Can you start up 5 threads on the rocky/rambo movies? I will contribute.

Zombie Squad

Fortius Quo Infidelius
Oct 24, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
For mine they would order....

1. Jackie Brown
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Reservoir Dogs
4. Kill Bill Vol 2/Kill Bill Vol 1
5. Django Unchained
6. Inglorious Basterds
7. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
8. Death Proof
9. The Hateful Eight

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
Reservoir Dogs 8/10
Pulp Fiction 9/10
Jackie Brown 8/10
Kill Bill: Vol. 1 8/10
Kill Bill: Vol. 2 8/10
Death Proof 7/10
Inglourious Basterds 8/10
Django Unchained 8/10
The Hateful Eight 6/10
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 6/10

Based on my rating system but feel free to use your own.

Reservoir Dogs 9/10 Pulp Fiction 9/10 Inglorious Bastards 5/10 Hateful eight 7/10 Django Unchained 5/10. The Kill Bills' I never watched. Death Proof haven't seen , Jackie Brown started it, didn't finish , can't remember why I didn't see it all, maybe too late at night or something!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back