Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Peter Bell has brought great shame and we should fold

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

How’d we go?

How did Belly go?

What is a trade period?

Is it like when you swap a full stop for a question mark in Scrabble??

Seriously, I was really worried when we lost Lloydyyydyddyyydyyyeeee just prior to such a key trade period.
Despite my fears, I reckon Belly and the Silver Fox knocked it out of the park.

One of our best ever trade periods, even if Hogan doesn't work out due to injury.

We had pick 6 and 77 (which became 81).
That was the price we paid to get in the likes of Wilson and Hamling etc. Most of whom have already greatly improved our team (Matera excepted).
To be able to somehow then turn that threadbare position into picks in every round, plus bring in Lobb, Hogan, Conk-ya, Col-ya and a have a short man with aggro swagger running trades - really, truly amazing.

Win win win win really.
Just need to use the new picks in each round well during the draft. And ensure Snuffaluphagus has something to be able to write about next year!!

Honestly? I think we ****ed around a lot and pissed off a lot of people unnecessarily for little gain. We ended up getting the players we were after in the end as it was - so that's a plus. I just think our approach was a bit off, and reading between the lines of various commentary it's highlighted that the club does indeed have some internal issues right now.

Most of you lot won't give a * what other clubs think about us - or call it sour grapes from the media perspective, but I'm inclined to be less positive about the club than I was a few months ago, which is saying something.

On the flipside of all of that - hopefully Bell can straighten some of that out, and I hope that we either promote Walls to list manager, or get someone A-class in so that Rosich can go back to being a corporate bulldog.

So yeah - I'm excited for Hogan and Lobb, meh on Colyer and Conca, excited for pick 14, but overall 50/50 on how this all played out rather than the result (which I think was great)

We should have added enough experience to be competitive next year.

By my count we've recruited about 10 players from other clubs the past few years:

McCarthy
Hamling
Hill
Kersten
Conca
Matera
Colyer
Lobb
Hogan
Wilson
Bennell

That's half a side. Obviously some of the above is depth, and some may never play for us again. But we shouldn't be s**t.

Honestly? I think we ****** around a lot and pissed off a lot of people unnecessarily for little gain. We ended up getting the players we were after in the end as it was - so that's a plus. I just think our approach was a bit off, and reading between the lines of various commentary it's highlighted that the club does indeed have some internal issues right now.

Most of you lot won't give a **** what other clubs think about us - or call it sour grapes from the media perspective, but I'm inclined to be less positive about the club than I was a few months ago, which is saying something.

On the flipside of all of that - hopefully Bell can straighten some of that out, and I hope that we either promote Walls to list manager, or get someone A-class in so that Rosich can go back to being a corporate bulldog.

So yeah - I'm excited for Hogan and Lobb, meh on Colyer and Conca, excited for pick 14, but overall 50/50 on how this all played out rather than the result (which I think was great)

Thanks Karl.

:p

Picking up Colyer was really a waste and bad move because it reduces our chances of that extra pick in the draft and greater impact on having to cut more of our players. I would of thought if Colyer was on our list that he like Sheridan and Grey ,he would have been cut. So how many are we going for in the draft and who will not get a contract on our list and who else may be cut ?

Bell and Rosich hit it out of the park considering our starting hand. Neale refused to stay so we made the best of a bad situation. Our spine is sorted now for the next 5 years at least.

The cream on top was seeing West Coast miss out on Kelly. The tears from their supporters are delicious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Picking up Colyer was really a waste and bad move because it reduces our chances of that extra pick in the draft and greater impact on having to cut more of our players. I would of thought if Colyer was on our list that he like Sheridan and Grey ,he would have been cut. So how many are we going for in the draft and who will not get a contract on our list and who else may be cut ?

I figure he's competition for Ballas as a pressure forward rather than playing on the wing and delivering to our forwards

Hopefully Switta shunts them both aside this year - but he does give coverage in the forward half and some genuine speed. I think his burst goals against us on the rebound are what convinced us to chase him

Just another p thing...

I was a bit worried about how we might cope with the likely loss of Sandi, Mundy and Ballas at the end of next year, especially if B Hill had another down year, or S Hill had injuries. I was worried that we would be so thin on talent that the likes of Matera, Kersten (who I think may well be a decent defender) and Jones would have significant bargaining power simply because we had no better options.

The best part of this trade period IMHO is that we have already come out of it (regardless of how the draft goes) with sufficient injections of talent that there is now much reduced risk of older list cloggers being allowed to hang around simply because we have no better talent. I still remember when Josh Head, Andrew Browne and Luke Webster were able to collectively stay on our list for a combined twenty-three years, producing a mere 61 games between them. This trade period hopefully means we are able to move on the fringe players much more quickly than in days of olde...

Think we overpaid for some, good price for others.

Hope Hogan heals well, good preseason and some new strategies to come in. Can only judge by improvement, but on current face value we got our targets, couple of experienced depth players. Lost a gun midfielder, hopefully we'll get coverage.

I like it particularly because we got Lobb and were able to stay in the 1st Round, meaning we'll definitely be snatching up one of Hill/Clark.

Conca / Colyer is fine considering the cost. Good people who will be good for the culture and will help us through the middle. They're definitely not high impact players and shouldn't have expectations to do so. Their team role is what we need from them.

Nice to put an end to the yearly Hogan speculations but will be an unknown for now.

Surprised we didn't lose a Ruck stock, not fussed about the Neale loss either.

Probably a 8/10

Happy. Only would have been made better by finding value for one of the 20 rucks on our list or Tabs.

8/10

Think Tabs has an important role to play off a HFF, similar to the role Jenkins plays for Adelaide. He can roam up the ground, take relieving marks down the wing etc. It's a role we really missed this year - way too many turnovers on long get out of jail kicks down the wing, leaving us wide open on the counter.

Great day for the Fremantle football club, Hogan is the best get from this trade period, very exciting player.

Conca is OK
Bitter to lose Neale but I suppose we got something back
The Hogan trade can only be judged with the benefit of hindsight.
Colyer is a drug cheat - don't want him.
Lobb is a great trade

Honestly? I think we ****** around a lot and pissed off a lot of people unnecessarily for little gain. We ended up getting the players we were after in the end as it was - so that's a plus. I just think our approach was a bit off, and reading between the lines of various commentary it's highlighted that the club does indeed have some internal issues right now.

Most of you lot won't give a **** what other clubs think about us - or call it sour grapes from the media perspective, but I'm inclined to be less positive about the club than I was a few months ago, which is saying something.

I can empathise with this, every long-suffering Freo fan has inherited a bit of fatalism. But we've been apart of arguably two of the great trade heists in history with the McLeod and Croad trade. Heck, Collingwood have a page in honour of the Clement/Holland swindle. "Freo the gift that keeps on giving," their salty because the exploitation days are over. I say we gloat at their outrage, we've done nothing wrong but break convention.

I can empathise with this, every long-suffering Freo fan has inherited a bit of fatalism. But we've been apart of arguably two of the great trade heists in history with the McLeod and Croad trade. Heck, Collingwood have a page in honour of the Clement/Holland swindle. "Freo the gift that keeps on giving," their salty because the exploitation days are over. I say we gloat at their outrage, we've done nothing wrong but break convention.
I think Arcassius was being sar-car-stick when he posted that.
I think.
But then Arky is a bit left field back pocket training oval water boy tester sometimes

Brisbane has come out and said the whole Fremantle being difficult to work with is total BS, and called the media out on it. The other two implied the same. Essentially of the big three, we won one, and lost 2, but we won the Hogan trade by enough to negate the other two.
Ultimately Conca and Colyer (who have been linked to us for 2 or 3years) will be depth/role players to fill deficiencies.
I for one loved the way Bell and Rosich conducted the past two weeks.

Back