Rate the TV commentators and pundits

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
I mostly watch EPL on Optus, sometimes download BBC Match of the Day.

Peter Drury thinks he's commentating on Shakespeare but I quite like his added melodrama. He sets the scene with an opening speech then brings his facts and figures during the game. He's probably no.1 right now.

Jim Proudfoot does a good job of mixing commentary with background information.

Martin Tyler has passed his used-by date. He actually detracts from a good game when he comments on it.

Jim Beglin is maybe the no.1 co-commentator, often paired with Drury. He can analyse the game and give self-deprecating stories.

Andy Townshend, Matt Holland and Leon Osman give good tactical insights. I liked Rob Green's comments in the Newcastle v Liverpool game. You could tell he was enjoying it.

Efan Ekoku has a terrible voice for commentary.

Ian Dowie is the worst I've heard. Had no appreciation that he should not be commentating the play.

On the Beeb, Alan Shearer seems to think he knows best by virtue of his PL goals tally but his analysis isn't that good. His vocabulary for good play extends to 'absolutely magnificent'. Paul Ince is a mumbler. Danny Murphy and Jermaine Jenas give good analysis.

I only signed up to Optus this season so still getting used to who’s who. First few times I heard Ekoku I was wondering who it was and he was hard to understand as he kept talking, but makes some ok points. Used to the mumbling now.

Don’t mind Beglin either. Enjoy most of the play by play callers, very professional.

Carney’s a bitch.............. calm down just joking

For pundits: Carra and Neville, I like the entertaining banter. Ian Wright, Also Wenger and Mourinho when they were paired together.

For commentators: Jim Beglin and Peter Drury are the No.1 duo atm. Clive Tyldesley is still around but I never hear him, Andy Townsend, Used to like Martin Tyler but he's finished IMO.

Also speaking on video game commentary: John Motson (now retired) and Andy Gray on the old fifas were great, Derek Rae and Lee Dixon on the current fifa's stink.

Also a big fan of Steve Hunter who calls the action on LFCTV's senior and Academy games.

Think Proudfoot is brilliant, Drury can go over the top sometimes but is still decent.

Beglin and Holland are generally decent. Not a fan of Townsend but can tolerate him.

Owen and Wright are great as pundits, I don't even mind Sherwood in small doses

I must say it is better this year as there aren't too many games at once so you don't get the poorer ones too often. Whomever it was that did a few of our Europa League games was terrible

I rate Ian Wright. Love his passion and honesty.

Wrighty is probably the best on MOTD. There is some good bantz with Lineker and he knows what he is talking about.

His old teammate Alan Smith should get a mention. Haven't seen that many games with him commentating but his voice is stuck in my head from playing FIFA.

Drury is great, sometimes he likes the sound of his own voice, but his command of the English language is fantastic.

Leon Osman, Andy Townsend (co com or pundit is brilliant).

Don't like Jon Champion or Beglin at all to be honest.

Owen is an excellent pundit, he makes excellent points and I find myself agreeing with him most of the time. Neville, Wright, Hutchison and Leroy (forgot his last time) are good pundits too. As hawkman said Tactics Tim is solid too. I don't mind McManaman either.

Ian Darke is hands down the best commentator.

This is him for those not sure

Alan Parish is my favourite but he doesn't do many games anymore.

Paul Ince is a bit of a dummy.

Jim Proudfoot and Ian Crocker I like. Enjoyed Crocker commentating the Scottish league so delighted to hear him doing EPL.

Used to like Tyler a lot but now find him quite dull and boring. Never liked Drury that much and how he tries to elevate the importance of games and moments too much.

Beglin is shite when he commentates a Liverpool game. Drury seems like he tries too hard sometimes.

We get Lee Dixon or Graham Le Saux on the NBC broadcast here once a week, Dixon's one of the more amusing pundits going around, in a good way.

Totally agree with the post about Efan Ekoku not having the voice for it, sounds more like a boring school teacher. Matt Holland I thinks is probably one of the better ones going around ATM.

I've always like Derek Rae and Adrian Healey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glen Hoddle if I'm being honest has some of the best analysis from a pundit I've watched and Cara and Neville are great too. Danny Murphy has shitted me to tears since his take on Naby Keita when Liverpool got him.

Favourite commentators are Parish, guy who went "DEENEY" and another bloke who does UCL games but I can't remember his name.

Used to like Tyler a lot but now find him quite dull and boring.
Gone on a a little too long imo.
Like if Cometti or Sandy Roberts were still at Ch 7.

Think Tyler should have retired a couple of years ago.

What did he say?
Est1997 is triggered cos he was negatively compared to Henderson lol.
That is, not technically gifted like Gerrard or Mascherano but is like Henderson. Professional, does his job really well.

That is, not technically gifted like Gerrard or Mascherano but is like Henderson. Professional, does his job really well.
Henderson has a good diagonal long ball and is a way better defender, (and obviously a leader).

Keita a better dribbler, but lives in the injury room.

What? I got triggered hearing some idiot who obviously never watched him play at RB Leipzig say things like "he's really athletic but not creative enough" when Keita came on to the scene by being one the best creative midfielders in the Bundesliga which also leads into a massive pet peeve of mine that if you come from a certain area of the world idiots like Danny Murphy (and Graham Souness) will automatically think you're a certain type of player when you're the exact opposite and Keita was a prime example. Watching English pundits talk about African/South American players and teams is embarrassing a fair amount of the times.

What? I got triggered hearing some idiot who obviously never watched him play at RB Leipzig say things like "he's really athletic but not creative enough" when Keita came on to the scene by being one the best creative midfielders in the Bundesliga which also leads into a massive pet peeve of mine that if you come from a certain area of the world idiots like Danny Murphy (and Graham Souness) will automatically think you're a certain type of player when you're the exact opposite and Keita was a prime example. Watching English pundits talk about African/South American players and teams is embarrassing a fair amount of the times.
It is merely one man's opinion, and you have absolutely no way of knowing how much or little he'd watched him previously.
To get worked up because he was negatively compared to some Sunderland god like footballer is amusing. No pundit gets everything right, or in Danny Mills case anything right so says Cruyff14 :D

P.S. Only 1 club in the top 5 leagues can still win the league undefeated. I haven't forgotten the daft Rangnick melt btw.

It is merely one man's opinion, and you have absolutely no way of knowing how much or little he'd watched him previously.
To get worked up because he was negatively compared to some Sunderland god like footballer is amusing. No pundit gets everything right, or in Danny Mills case anything right so says @Cruyff14 :D

It was pretty obvious he was making s**t up on the fly considering why Keita was so highly rated at the time and it had nothing to do with how he described him. And my melt on his s**t house opinion had nothing to do with Hendo either and had everything to do with what I said above.

P.S. Only 1 club in the top 5 leagues can still win the league undefeated. I haven't forgotten the daft Rangnick melt btw.

They still have 25 games to go but yeah aye let's give Milan the title now.

It was pretty obvious he was making sh*t up on the fly considering why Keita was so highly rated at the time and it had nothing to do with how he described him. And my melt on his sh*t house opinion had nothing to do with Hendo either and had everything to do with what I said above.
Obvious to you maybe, but again one man's opinion on one player at one particular time.
To sit here years down the track having not gotten over it is a bit ridiculous.
They still have 25 games to go but yeah aye let's give Milan the title now.
Yes because that was totally the standard they should be held to after the last 5-10 years. Getting into the Champions League this season would vindicate the decision to stick with Pioli, let alone a title challenge or god forbid win the scudetto.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back