Rate the TV commentators and pundits

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he’s class….still

He's 78, he's done. He has the voice but not the delivery or content. Nostalgia the only thing keeping him locked in at SBS. Thankfully done after this WC you would think.

Regarding Martin Tyler, SBS should consider turning the crowd mics down a touch, turn Tyler up a bit and give him a lip mic which means Tyler won't be drowned out by the crowd.
Would rather they turned Tyler down, or preferably off.

Don't think it's understated, I think he's catatonic.
He just talks crap as if he's the main attraction. The Cup brings together players from all over the world which aren't familiar to the majority of us who watch the Cup and we'd like to know who these players are, that is, their names, not some esoteric gobbledegook.

Kewell awful. Has offered no insight and was basically just cheerleading.

Also what was with him regularly stopping what he was saying mid sentence. Was weird.

How do we feel about Harry referring to the Socceroos as "we", "us" or "our" basically 50 times a game? I'd rather he didn't do it but that's perhaps an old school approach on my part.

Last edited:
How do we feel about Harry referring to the Socceroos as "we", "us" or "our" basically 50 times a game? I'd rather he didn't do it but that's perhaps an old school approach on my part.
Terrible. Commentary needs to objective.

Him calling Behich Aziz every time is horrendous.

Harry Kewell and most Australian commentators are crap. I know Martin Tyler has gotten a bad rap over the last few years but I would have him for every single SBS game, including Australia’s matches, over any of our own contingent of commentators.

Simon Hill has defended Martin Tyler over the criticism the venerable commentator has received during this World Cup. Quotes via Yahoo.com

''It's totally unfair but it's a product of the world we live in unfortunately. Sport is becoming sold through hyperbole and the next generation sort of expects that and that's not Martin's style. He's very conversational, he's old school and I grew up listening to people like that. When I first got here, I watched a rugby league game and my ears were bleeding after 80 minutes. That's the style and that's fine - and football's gone down that road - but I think Martin's being viewed in comparison by a new generation that is much more invested in hyperbole. I'm a huge admirer of Martin's and I think it's hugely unfair that he's been singled out for criticism. He is hugely revered - and rightly so. He's a terrific caller of football games. And the fact that he's still doing it at the very top level is a testament to his ability and longevity."

I agree it would be nice if Martin Tyler's commentary was more enthusiastic for the big moments - Cameroon's comeback vs Serbia is one example - but I also think SBS should have given him a co commentator. Asking a 77 year old man to talk through 90/potentially 120 minutes of football and keep the enthusiasm up is easier said than done. As a result, we're listening to a man who sounds like he's gone one tournament too many.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simon Hill has defended Martin Tyler over the criticism the venerable commentator has received during this World Cup. Quotes via Yahoo.com

''It's totally unfair but it's a product of the world we live in unfortunately. Sport is becoming sold through hyperbole and the next generation sort of expects that and that's not Martin's style. He's very conversational, he's old school and I grew up listening to people like that. When I first got here, I watched a rugby league game and my ears were bleeding after 80 minutes. That's the style and that's fine - and football's gone down that road - but I think Martin's being viewed in comparison by a new generation that is much more invested in hyperbole. I'm a huge admirer of Martin's and I think it's hugely unfair that he's been singled out for criticism. He is hugely revered - and rightly so. He's a terrific caller of football games. And the fact that he's still doing it at the very top level is a testament to his ability and longevity."

I agree it would be nice if Martin Tyler's commentary was more enthusiastic for the big moments - Cameroon's comeback vs Serbia is one example - but I also think SBS should have given him a co commentator. Asking a 77 year old man to talk through 90/potentially 120 minutes of football and keep the enthusiasm up is easier said than done. As a result, we're listening to a man who sounds like he's gone one tournament too many.

Haha rubbish. I don't give a s**t about hyperbole, and in fact hate Drury as a commentator, but Tyler has no emotion or care in his commentary anymore. No excitement about what he's watching.

Haha rubbish. I don't give a s**t about hyperbole, and in fact hate Drury as a commentator, but Tyler has no emotion or care in his commentary anymore. No excitement about what he's watching.

So I guess you know more than Martin Tyler and Simon Hill, like Hill said ir's not about hyperbole, it's more about the conversational pace of the game.

So I guess you know more than Martin Tyler and Simon Hill, like Hill said ir's not about hyperbole, it's more about the conversational pace of the game.

Games vary in intensity and the commentary should match that. Tyler just keeps rambling on having a one paced conversation with himself. He actually takes the joy out of an exciting game. There can be an amazing move going on and he's telling us that the centre forward used to be a lifeguard.

I would like to know why they thought it would be a good idea for him not to have a former player alongside him.

Games vary in intensity and the commentary should match that. Tyler just keeps rambling on having a one paced conversation with himself. He actually takes the joy out of an exciting game. There can be an amazing move going on and he's telling us that the centre forward used to be a lifeguard.

I would like to know why they thought it would be a good idea for him not to have a former player alongside him.
Would you be OK if it was a female player though?

What does this post even mean?

How does me saying I don't like Tyler's commentary mean I know more than Tyler or Hill?

You're literally the only one (other than Hill it seems) who likes Tyler still.

I've changed my tune on Drury a little and actually appreciate him for proper big games. It's the not important games and moments where he generally goes over the top with that I really dislike him.

Drury's opening monologues can be OTT but they only go for a minute. Then I think he commentates on the action quite well. I think it was Portugal's 5th goal this morning where he said "Consider the cake iced, with a cherry on top". I thought that was clever. And he usually has someone good with him to bounce thoughts off, like Jim Beglin or Alan Smith.

Martin Tyler is absolute dog s**t. Has been a stain on the game since at least 2010. He was good before then. Harry is good, I like the casual approach he brings. He's a bit dense though. The female commentators have been quality, I was surprised as I thought they'd be trash but they are much better callers than 90% of the men. Bosnich is the best post match analyst.

I also enjoy the lack of Lucy Zelic and Simon Hill.

ITV commentator Sam Matterface is copping it in England for his commentary of Harry Kane's missed penalty. Matterface said ''They needed Gary Lineker, They got Chris Waddle''. The Chris Waddle reference is to do with Waddle's miss in the 1990 World Cup semi final shootout for England against the then West Germany. He tried to be witty and clever but judging from the reaction, I don't think his audience found that remark amusing.

ITV commentator Sam Matterface is copping it in England for his commentary of Harry Kane's missed penalty. Matterface said ''They needed Gary Lineker, They got Chris Waddle''. The Chris Waddle reference is to do with Waddle's miss in the 1990 World Cup semi final shootout for England against the then West Germany. He tried to be witty and clever but judging from the reaction, I don't think his audience found that remark amusing.

What Sam says doesn’t matter.

I’ll see myself out.

Back in the 90's English fans weren't as delusional as they knew how s**t they were. Nowadays they think they're better for some reason and heavily overrated Kane who has never been a top striker. This commentator made a reasonable comment it looks like.

No matter how delusional they are Kane will always be remembered as another guy who fluffed it on the big stage like Waddle, Southgate, Beckham, Carragher.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back